Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

I call change the freaking animations, they're awful, and then bring the long axe blocking back. Attacking animations could be a bit less "wide" too. With a long axe you have such a long leverage you don't need to wave it that much. You're hitting people, not cutting grass with a scythe damn it.

aipLYaF.jpg

The spear blocking I drawn here can apply for all polearms. With spear the spear head should be facing down at the opponent though, and with axes the axe head should be up, so that you could instantly do a chopping blow from above. The blocking animations in Warband, especially for polearms are very exaggerated. You don't need to face the opponent's weapon at 90 degrees, in fact usually you don't want to, especially if you're using a stick to block a sword. The most idiotically moronic Warband's blocking animation is the thrust blocking. Seriously, wtf is that ****? You see a spear coming for your scrotum so you bump it up to hit your belly? Or when you see it's going for your belly you bump it up to hit your face? If you block a thrust you either deflect the incoming pierce down or aside (or both ways at the same time), never up.

With such animations blocking with longer weapons would never again look so ridiculous. The sword part has already been discussed with Moeck, unfortunately Warband devs were stupid enough to make one idle stance and hardcode it, so that you can't have different animation set for fighting with or without a shield.

Here's a super-radical idea...

Still finding swords to be far too prevalent in Víkingr. They can be taken exclusively in the first round; a decent player (ergo; regular) will typically find no extra effort involved in scoring a few kills to sustain the silver. Hell; the Hersir sword can be taken on the first round. I would see them pushed out of reach of the first or second rounds with a cost increase across the board. The heavier pieces of armour generally only make an appearance if a team has had a good innings or if a player has absolutely decimated the opposing side (in rare instances) - yet they make their presence on the field of battle enough times to really make it count. It often feels to be an achievement of some kind (for the lower ranked classes) to wear mail; it should be like this for the use of a decent sword. There's a few players whom come to mind when I think of excessive and over-reliance on the superior nature of the weapon...

Careful Eirikr! Those people depend on those swords to play. The idea that they may not have their swords until the 2nd round...

In my eyes it's a good suggestion. With the range, speed & damage that swords do, having them available from the first round is not particularly great for gameplay - you get the whole small shield, tunic & sword combo. Anyone with a sword would most likely be kitted out in maille or could afford to be. Instead we have loads of people rushing around on the first round with swords. It should be something you achieve through good gameplay, like maille, as Eirikr said.

I also think spears should be a lot cheaper, as in dirt cheap, to help promote their use. And they should have their ability to block returned* (except for the Long & Hewing spear).

*In case anyone is reading this without having read my earlier posts about spears, having the block ability returned to them would cover all the wonderful things you can do with spears RL that you can't do in-game.

Frodwine once suggested "locking" the equipment so that you'd have to get certain items to unlock others (for example, you need a helmet before being able to get any armour, or at least anything above a gambeson or its equivalent, and you need armour before being able to get a sword). That would be perfect, I think, but it's probably too complicated.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Here's a super-radical idea...

Still finding swords to be far too prevalent in Víkingr. They can be taken exclusively in the first round; a decent player (ergo; regular) will typically find no extra effort involved in scoring a few kills to sustain the silver. Hell; the Hersir sword can be taken on the first round. I would see them pushed out of reach of the first or second rounds with a cost increase across the board. The heavier pieces of armour generally only make an appearance if a team has had a good innings or if a player has absolutely decimated the opposing side (in rare instances) - yet they make their presence on the field of battle enough times to really make it count. It often feels to be an achievement of some kind (for the lower ranked classes) to wear mail; it should be like this for the use of a decent sword. There's a few players whom come to mind when I think of excessive and over-reliance on the superior nature of the weapon...
Like doubling their cost was not enough, along with taking good swords from viking footmen and giving it to russian footmen. They swing slow enogh to be fine. Maybe decrease Gadjhalt(108cm ?) and Knud blade's lenght and range in all other ways swords are fine.

Funny thing would be to make every sword have a chance to break on block (or maybe a blocked attack). It did happen and was mentioned many times in written sources. That way we could have bad quality steel swords for regular infantry (but also prodably not avaliable form the first round), and good quality reliable swords for the rich. You could even make the famous +Ulfberh+t swords, that would be unbreakable :razz: This would add a bit of fun randomness, like musket missfires in Deluge (where the chance is also different for different weapons and you can buy more reliable too).

Dragomir said:
Funny thing would be to make every sword have a chance to break on block (or maybe a blocked attack). It did happen and was mentioned many times in written sources. That way we could have bad quality steel swords for regular infantry (but also prodably not avaliable form the first round), and good quality reliable swords for the rich. You could even make the famous +Ulfberh+t swords, that would be unbreakable :razz: This would add a bit of fun randomness, like musket missfires in Deluge (where the chance is also different for different weapons and you can buy more reliable too).

The problem is that to buy not one but two swords on a single map, and be able to afford armour wouldn't be viable.

And random things are never fun. Where's the point in being skilled if a bit of "random" just ruins it? I know that Bjorn absolutely hates maces because of the knockdown effect, and quite frankly I'm bound to agree.

Aklis said:
Dragomir said:

The problem is that to buy not one but two swords on a single map, and be able to afford armour wouldn't be viable.

And random things are never fun. Where's the point in being skilled if a bit of "random" just ruins it? I know that Bjorn absolutely hates maces because of the knockdown effect, and quite frankly I'm bound to agree.

Maces... There's something else entirely. I'm not of the opinion that maces and only maces should knock down an opponent. What unique property do maces [and clubs] have that other weapons don't? Most of us here would fall to the ground if a weapon was forcibly and violently put to our flesh. A longer blackout [or some other fancy effect] on 'blunt' hit might be quite nice if the knock down is removed.

Aklis said:

If you're a more skilled warrior you will get more money and buy a reliable sword made by more skilled craftsmen. Nothing random here if you have a chance to buy something reliable :wink: Of course they would only break when stressed with high forces, so if you have a **** sword you will want to dodge and chamber rather than block. I think that would add a lot to the swords variety, meaning that not only speed, range and damage would be taken into consideration.

I think random breaking of weapons could be worth of trying.
As one said, it could force players to buy side weapons!

I think it would also force players to think little bit when and where to strike when fighting with shields instead of just mad ramming to others shield  for the kill.
Of course you wouldn't be so "SKILDZ" when you get killed by axe wielding man-whore because your fine sword just got broken and you were not smart enough to have a seax on your belt.

Also, make long axes useful again.

Itinerant said:
Hugh Higgins said:
Gaels could get proper boots or maybe footwraps?

Would love you long time. <3

They need hats a lot more than boots.

I have long asked for people to come up with historical references for such hats, I would happily implement any if I could tell for sure how they would have looked. Unfortunately though it seems they usually preferred hoods and such, or rather used designs roughly similar to the other factions so that they wouldn't really be unique either.

Back
Top Bottom