Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Aklis said:
In line with my customary archer hate, I say remove the archers and the quiver will be no more. :wink:

maybe making standard Quiver which is free cost, and make the other arrows cost more ?

Some things that would be nice to see for shields, and perhaps too hard to achieve:

- Passive Melee Blocking. Currently when not holding the block button the shield will still block ranged weapons. This would be the same, but for melee weapons.
- Increase the Health of Shields. I think earlier we saw 3x as much health would be more realistic. (Shields wouldn't break apart that much)
- New Defensive Shield Animations. To go along with the passive melee blocking and making the combat look better and more realistic.

If it is possible I wouldn't see a reason not to add it. Besides it being much work.

My proposal for the Viking shields.
Basically:
1st: full colored and basic patterns.
2nd: I would love to see basic patterns but more like the Goidil. Not the same, but more crosses, twisted crosses etc.
3rd: Complicated patterns like animals and such.

cheers
shieldproposal.jpg

Hengwulf said:
Basically:
2nd: I would love to see basic patterns but more like the Goidil. Not the same, but more crosses, twisted crosses etc.

cheers
shieldproposal.jpg

fully agree.

Hengwulf said:
Basically:

cheers
shieldproposal.jpg

What knowledge  grant you the right to solve which of those is better?

Mostly only those Schilds have right to be in the mod and i can tell you why:

Moeckerkalfie said:
Since I recently posted the Shield design suggestions thread I have been searching for more sources to come up with some good ideas for some additional shields to give the gaelic gallgoidel as a first step towards more variety, which should add to their viking-influenced look without making them identical to the hirdman.

The viking-answer-lady website has a longer article about this topic, mentioning some of the typical colours and patterns used:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/vikheraldry.shtml

Another good page with information is this one:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html#Decoration

It contains a certain picture that was posted on the forum not too long ago, by Helge I think, showing some old illustrations that might give a clue on the usual patterns of the time:

shield13.jpg

Now as I first had in mind to create shields for the gallgoidel I went for a different set of shades though. According to the Early Medieval Goídil pdf that Eadric posted in the gaelic research thread a while back, regarding the usual colours that were used for clothing:
"The most common colors were saffron (orange-yellow), white, rust (brown-red), and undyed
linen (various shades of gray)—in that order—but wealthy aire would have had
access to a wider spectrum of fabrics and dies.
"​

And as the gallgoidel have a strong Norse cultural influence I tried to merge both as best as possible so that the class would get its own character as a link between the Gaels and Vikings with its own feel, so that I can now give this screenshot as a preview of how the gallgoidel will appear in the next version:

mb510d.jpg

UlfrTheMighty said:
i agree Hengwulf, also some more fur hats for both Rus and Vikingar would be good. also the Hovdingi should be able too choose from more than 3 diffrent helmets some more should be good, examples:

sorry for the lack of information on the helmets but i guess someone know a bit more about em than i do.
Viking_Helmet_by_bakabobo.jpg
viking_helmet_470x300.jpg
Helmet_from_a_7th_century_boat_grave,_Vendel_era.jpg

also i think that the Rus Kyanz's helmets has a bit odd looking textures, maybe make them i bit more old looking u know  :smile:

EDIT: Agree Eirikr too few tunics.. should be alot more for all of the factions, some with capes too ^^

Those Helmets are not for Viking Age.

the Gjermundbu is! its already in the game  but should be avaivible for all classes.
also i just searched for viking helmets and i am no expert at viking age helmets

I'm sorry but I find your attitude slightly sour.

Instead of knocking down Ulf's suggestions with a flippant comment why not perhaps say why he is wrong and then link to some actual helmets? I understand most of them would end being Spangenhelms but the more the merrier I say.

I also understand that Viking age helmets are somewhat of a rarity and I'm no expert yet I do bloody know that the Gjermundbu was dated to 980AD. Which let me check fits in to the 9-12 century.

Then well I just find your last comment to be a bit pompous unless you yourself haven't ready any books and thus don't want to suggest any.

Just a suggestion, on persistent world there is a way in which you can speak to your faction and have it appear in bold in the centre of the screen. Could this be implemented for the leader class so that they can give clearer orders? Often there is a problem where the leader will say one thing and someone else says another. This would help put the leader clearly in charge and prevent situations where the group splits up.
You might also be able to make it so that this chat is in a different colour to further distinguish it.

YourStepDad said:
Hengwulf said:
Some thoughts:

the Goidil look great with their new shields, they make them less Celtic and more Norse. I think they should get some more complex starter clothes though. The "dresses" they get now are to plain and simple and they are all the same except for colour. Looking at Vikingr, Rus etc. They get much fancier cloths. Goidil Ceiternachs look like the poorest of peasants right now.

Also the Goidil lack any kind of hat. I don't now any type but maybe some plaid or coif. I think Brytenwalda had some nice examples of cloth headgear that would drape over ones shoulders or back.

The Vikingr could use some attention. I think that right now they are the least unique faction. I would like to see some more Viking shield designs (we had a thread about it somewhere). I would also like to see a visored helmet. As of now we have only 1 and it costs a wopping 830! Maybe it should be in the 300ish zone, that way not everyone would choose the more expensive visored helmet but it is still accessable. And pleaso make them with some kind of neckguard, without it most helmets look silly on your head.

larp-helmet-fredrik-viking-helmet-%5B2%5D-3003-p.jpg
viking-mask-helmet-%5B2%5D-1747-p.jpg

The Bersekr stays a point of interest. I feel a berserker class isn't that strange, but I don't like the rage ability. I would rather see the class be influenced by items like the other factions. How to do this I still haven't figured out.

The Rus could get some nice axes.

Slavic_Rus_axe_10th_11thc.jpg
p47.jpg

I'm coming back to Vikingr bigtime, and I wholeheartedly support the idea of such visored helmets.

Above all. I want to quote this one more. Vikingar faction needs nasal helmets. URGENTLY.

After playing for some time, it really shows that Vikings are at the moment the least unique faction. Such visored helmets would help here tromendosly, and they are historically accurate for 11th century.

IMO, this really needs to be in the game :smile:

Yeferz said:
Just a suggestion, on persistent world there is a way in which you can speak to your faction and have it appear in bold in the centre of the screen. Could this be implemented for the leader class so that they can give clearer orders? Often there is a problem where the leader will say one thing and someone else says another. This would help put the leader clearly in charge and prevent situations where the group splits up.
You might also be able to make it so that this chat is in a different colour to further distinguish it.

I saw Barabas in the WSE thread with a little script problem, and to me the script looks like it's trying to achieve this. Perhaps the man can confirm?

Æthelwulf said:
I'm sorry but I find your attitude slightly sour.

Instead of knocking down Ulf's suggestions with a flippant comment why not perhaps say why he is wrong and then link to some actual helmets? I understand most of them would end being Spangenhelms but the more the merrier I say.

I also understand that Viking age helmets are somewhat of a rarity and I'm no expert yet I do bloody know that the Gjermundbu was dated to 980AD. Which let me check fits in to the 9-12 century.

Then well I just find your last comment to be a bit pompous unless you yourself haven't ready any books and thus don't want to suggest any.

My POST about Gjermundbu Helmet from (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,204167.0.html):

Helge said:
Is is simple. I tell you that  2 + 2 is = 4.

But all the time you try to tell me that 5 is almost 4 and so it is not so big problem if 2 + 2 is =5. Or 6. Or 3.

I hope it schout be my last words about this Helmet.

4ef7595b90ea.jpg

71f075342a2a.jpg

491e7fb9ebda.jpg

e4e663f38b47.jpg

No chainmaille.
No Fantasy.
No other things.

What more i nead to say now?

And i have done something already for this mod by posting something like this.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,203715.0.html

My point is:

It is stupid to post some Armor-suggestions for this mod, without having not really much knowledge about Vikig Age.

YourStepDad said:
Above all. I want to quote this one more. Vikingar faction needs nasal helmets. URGENTLY.

After playing for some time, it really shows that Vikings are at the moment the least unique faction. Such visored helmets would help here tromendosly, and they are historically accurate for 11th century.

IMO, this really needs to be in the game :smile:

Can you plays show, which Helmets do you mean?

Back
Top Bottom