Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

I always keep smashing enemy with axe thousand times and he never dies, when enemy have sword, they kill me in one nano second  :???:. I started use swords and immediately i got enemys killed, but i like axes more  :neutral:. And also clubs don't do any damage. But i guess everthing is high pings fault what keeps haunting me.

rapier17 said:
Now this is going to be a very radical suggestion. Some people will like it, others may loathe it but, for what it's worth, here is my latest suggestion, dependant, obviously on how possible it is to code/do. Ready for it? Take a deep breath...

Alter the scoreboard; remove kills & deaths. Put players in alphabetical order and just show ping.

Yes, couldn't agree more.  The only two things that should count are, in order of importance, me surviving and my side winning.  (There should be a running away option so that I can survive a losing battle but that's an aside).

I would go even further, and doubtless people will hate my suggestion even more, but I think you should do away with the money rewards for kills.  At the end of each round a small bit of money could be distributed evenly around all the surviving team members (perhaps the leader and huscarls should get more?).  This would have the benefit of stopping fyrdmen turning up with mail and swords too soon.

EDIT - actually it might be that you only get shared money for kills when your side wins anyway.  I can't quite work it out - lucky I never bother buying better equipment anyway.

Is it within engine possibilities to make two-handed axes unblockable with short quasi-weapons like torches and short swords? Same goes for spears, is it possible to make the spear break when hit properly with an axe?

The parries are an abstract representation of stopping an attack and do not represent actual parries with a spear - the first clue to this is that the avatar takes their spear point OFF of the target to parry. You -NEVER- take the threat away from the target. The parries thus do not represent reality and to base a mechanic off of that would be, frankly, an injustice to the other mechanics we have so far which are striving to make the mod more realistic. Spears already have a chance of breaking on momentum, so I think best to leave it like that.

Also short swords can parry attacks from axes and then manipulate them to create an opening - hell if I can do it in reality with a 8" hadseax then you can do it with a short sword.

Bedric said:
I would go even further, and doubtless people will hate my suggestion even more, but I think you should do away with the money rewards for kills.  At the end of each round a small bit of money could be distributed evenly around all the surviving team members (perhaps the leader and huscarls should get more?).  This would have the benefit of stopping fyrdmen turning up with mail and swords too soon.

That's the nifty thing with Vikingr. You get money based on how much damage you do. Your suggestion is pointless.

I just came back to edit my post to add that I can't quite work out how the money system works so yes you're quite right, it seems to kind of do pretty much what I was saying already.

Back from the lasses and thus missed out on some nice discussions, so I thought I would just chime in at the end briefly on the scoreboard situation.

I'm all for removal of kills, oh yes indeed but it is rather nice to be a chap on the server with a fair amount as the newbies tend to follow and listen to you. It would be nice if the way kills were tallied could be re-counted. Say kills are replaced with a "leadership" count, which makes every 8 kills a mark of 1, so each kill is +0.125 of a point.  Each death could could reduce that mark by -0.25 so that way the actual number of kills is quite tricky to work out on the fly but you get a general feel for it and deaths play a bad role in your score and therefore reflect a man that players will more than likely to follow in battle. On this same vein of day dreaming TK's can have a higher minus percentage grade along with killing the enemy leader giving a plus bonus. Leading on from this it would be nice if Leader class got an all around advantage on plus and minus bonuses so people can pester a poor Leader to give the role to somebody more deserving, even extend these bonuses to those who fight around a Bannerman.

This post is a slight mess and shall get tidied up shortly after watching all this E3 news and I'm fully aware of the most likely impossibility of such a system, but a lad can dream.

Æthelwulf said:
Back from the lasses and thus missed out on some nice discussions, so I thought I would just chime in at the end briefly on the scoreboard situation.

I'm all for removal of kills, oh yes indeed but it is rather nice to be a chap on the server with a fair amount as the newbies tend to follow and listen to you. It would be nice if the way kills were tallied could be re-counted. Say kills are replaced with a "leadership" count, which makes every 8 kills a mark of 1, so each kill is +0.125 of a point.  Each death could could reduce that mark by -0.25 so that way the actual number of kills is quite tricky to work out on the fly but you get a general feel for it and deaths play a bad role in your score and therefore reflect a man that players will more than likely to follow in battle. On this same vein of day dreaming TK's can have a higher minus percentage grade along with killing the enemy leader giving a plus bonus. Leading on from this it would be nice if Leader class got an all around advantage on plus and minus bonuses so people can pester a poor Leader to give the role to somebody more deserving, even extend these bonuses to those who fight around a Bannerman.

This post is a slight mess and shall get tidied up shortly after watching all this E3 news and I'm fully aware of the most likely impossibility of such a system, but a lad can dream.

We were actually thinking of making the money system like this. You already get money depending on the raw damage you do (without armour reduction). You could get more for damaging the leader and a reduction for team-damaging.

Barabas said:
We were actually thinking of making the money system like this. You already get money depending on the raw damage you do (without armour reduction). You could get more for damaging the leader and a reduction for team-damaging.
It might be interesting to experiment with the money reward system so that you don't get much or anything for surviving a round, but tons more for causing damage. That way, we wouldn't have the whole winning team sporting armour after a couple of rounds, while everyone in the defeated team is wearing rags regardless of how well they did.

The above.

I love the suggestions thread, I was going to propose a group hug then thought better of it in case it was deemed unmanly. Instead I thought we could braid each others hair?

It makes much more sense now... Yes. The teams are rewarded for damage output across the spectrum, rather than just killing and surviving the round. There are times when a round will come down to a one-sided slaughter fest, those being felled can still output a lot of damage. It would be great to see teams rewarded with geld for sticking as one, putting out maximum damage and trying to survive - rather than competing for kills and earning money for singular players.

Aethel; remember that this is the Vikingr forum. You won't have a dickish Dutch dude with a Napoleon complex deleting everything, no matter how on topic it is. Instead, we get a delightful Dutch dude and a groovy German.

I imagine it wouldn't be easy though. Balancing it properly would probably require lots of tweaking, to make sure that some players can still get good gear but that most people can't, how much money you'd lose for dying and all that. But with enough testing, it might just work.

Eiríkr Rauði said:

Aethel; remember that this is the Vikingr forum. You won't have a dickish Dutch dude with a Napoleon complex deleting everything, no matter how on topic it is. Instead, we get a delightful Dutch dude and a groovy German.
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom