Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragomir said:
First of all if one would punch with shield it would be with the rim. Hurstwic tested that - you can easily break pig's ribs with that :grin: Shield bash as it is in most games - flat on, possibly with the boss is a very inefficient way to do that.

Well Warband doesn´t allow that. The way I see it you hit your opponents shield with your shield to move his shield out of the way, making him open for a attack. Which would be represented by a shield bash (kick with new animation and button). Also in cRPG if you don´t have a shield this shield bash is replaced with a punch with your shield hand.

Also they have another interesting thing, when people are standing in a shieldwall their shields get a small buff. Might be interesting to have it here as well to promote shieldwalls. (Similar as how the horns and flags are providing passive buffs.)

Also Potato you misunderstood me, cRPG has kick (e) and shield bash/punch (v). Its not removing anything.

Phalanx300 said:
I also noticed a new feature in cRPG, shield bash. Only in the defend the virgin mode though, but its seperate from the kick (using v), might be worth looking into.

Phalanx300 said:
Are there any plans to implement a shield bash attack? A kick alternative for shield users? Perhaps to allow it while moving?

You asked the same question over two years ago (it's been that long for some of us!) and you were answered then as you have been answered now.

Rath0s said:
We had this in before we released the mod for the public and it was pretty annoying and didnt work as well as we had planned.

It might work fine in cRPG but it certainly didn't feel right in Víkingr. We implemented it in a private Einherjar-dev test build and trialed it out for a few days. We specifically avoided introducing it to the mod because it was wholly unsatisfactory to the player.

Sorry, didn't want to bother anyone with the shield bash... didn't know that you had tried it out... as I said, didn't read the 213 pages in total... I apologise.

Phalanx300 said:
Dragomir said:
First of all if one would punch with shield it would be with the rim. Hurstwic tested that - you can easily break pig's ribs with that :grin: Shield bash as it is in most games - flat on, possibly with the boss is a very inefficient way to do that.

Well Warband doesn´t allow that.

WHAT? How so? It's just a matter of animation. Punch with a shield's rim would even be even easier to animate since it's tied to the forearm, not hand as it should.

I like those idea's and they seem realistic too. I'd be against them fixing their bows when the string breaks. It should be permanent for that round really. I believe Deluge has this as well and it does give a fibe of realism to it.

Phalanx300 said:
I like those idea's and they seem realistic too. I'd be against them fixing their bows when the string breaks. It should be permanent for that round really. I believe Deluge has this as well and it does give a fibe of realism to it.

I think archers in old times would have one or two spare bow strings with them usually. Deluge has a special animation for pulling the string on your bow back and I think it would be really cool to have.

I personally don't care if string breaks get added, but it would be a nice factor to put the ****s up some archers when that cheeky shot fails and a real warrior is bearing down upon them.

But I bloody well would like to have them rooted to the spot if only to stop "gamey" bastards from running away, drawing the bow and spinning around to pop off a Legolas style shot. Also I feel they would be much more inclined to stick with the shield wall this way or take a buddy for protection.

Glad to know that absolutely nothing was achieved with regards to item statistics. The new patch is great, lots of nice items and fancy things, it certainly has a degree of being polished but I [we?] find that it's done nil to tackle the problems listed below. It's pretty ****in' ridiculous to increase the horse and archer limit when it was already a challenge to balance what we previously had in 0.98... What gives? Am I being purposely ignored?

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Still looking for some changes made to the ranged aspect of Víkingr. Leofwine and I made this thread detailing the problem last year but it was ultimately buried under a mountain of irritation and accusatory fingers. Some of that OP has now been made redundant; I think we did see a slight alteration in the archer:melee ratio and we did see some shuffling with regards to item selection. Other alterations (bows being dropped on weapon change) and fancy Moescripts have further impacted on the use of the bow in Víkingr. However, I'd like to pitch a few ideas with the current iteration of Víkingr in mind.
I'm not looking for a nerf of archery or any form of devaluing the class. I want to enforce a little more imagination and intelligent play in the class. It's very easy to exploit the game engine against the changes Víkingr makes as a mod overall.

• Currently archers are free to walk around with an arrow nocked and the string pulled taut. Backpuddlin' and pulling off shots into the approaching axe-man should not be possible. Archer caught out in the open by the horseman? No problem, he's able to side-step (providing he is quick!) and release an arrow into the rider or the horse as they pass by. Root the archer to the ground when LEFT_CLICK is used and give him a reason to intelligently think of his positioning in the fight before the arrow is released.
  • ...draw, draw, draw, draw. Implement an extremely low chance of the string snapping on each use of the bow. Archers are free to continually pull back the string with no penalty until they choose to release the arrow. Spears have a low chance of breaking on weapon hit, it barely impacts upon the melee aspect of the mod but it does give a player some reason for concern if they're caught short. String can be replaced if the player is willing to forsake several seconds.
  • I would not be opposed to a slight increase of quiver size if the above are considered and implemented.

And a little something from earlier in the month.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Here's a super-radical idea...

Still finding swords to be far too prevalent in Víkingr. They can be taken exclusively in the first round; a decent player (ergo; regular) will typically find no extra effort involved in scoring a few kills to sustain the silver. Hell; the Hersir sword can be taken on the first round. I would see them pushed out of reach of the first or second rounds with a cost increase across the board. The heavier pieces of armour generally only make an appearance if a team has had a good innings or if a player has absolutely decimated the opposing side (in rare instances) - yet they make their presence on the field of battle enough times to really make it count. It often feels to be an achievement of some kind (for the lower ranked classes) to wear mail; it should be like this for the use of a decent sword. There's a few players whom come to mind when I think of excessive and over-reliance on the superior nature of the weapon...

It was also briefly touched upon here (after the above post) that the return of blocking ought return to a select few items. I am of two minds here for I cannot decide if it is a sensible thing or not. I currently think spears are fine as they are and don't need any further tweaking (which is contrary to a lot of the sword folk :razz:) however I would be in the mind to see the dane-axes regain some form of functionality excepting the absolute largest of them.

As always, sensible comments and replies please. Take the time to read the post before rising ye're choler to the point of tears. I would appreciate something from Moeckerkalfie with what is being changed for the forthcoming patch with regards to item stats. I mean, whatever happened to things like this and this:razz:

Lovely new content, but can't help but concur with what Eiríksson says. Community suggestions don't seem to have been taken into account?

Bah.

Is it just Moe who disagrees with them or some other entity at large? It bothers me that none of this was ever vetted with the playing majority (unless I was not aware of it) or with the established groups. Y'know, players who have put their hours into Víkingr more than most. I don't want to infer that they should have some degree of exclusivity (as decisions should be universal for every player) but who else really has the authority to comment on the direction of the module (other than the developers)?
****! Even the short spear has had it's blocking removed. Talk about castration... I did have plans to create a few more events for Víkingr during the summer but enthusiasm for that has been pretty much killed off as things currently stand.

It is a hot day and I am rather irritable, apologies.

I agree with some points, but i see them more as a trifle. Like the short spear beeing unable to block. In my opinion it should be able to block, but compared to all the other great things implemented, i cant be anything other than thankful for the Developers fine work. And they deserve  commendation rather than spiteful comments.

hrotha said:
Maybe they were, but were dismissed because of time & manpower constraints, unfeasibility, or just plain disagreement over them?

My thoughts exactly. A lot of things were constantly vying for the attention of the developers, not just polish and ice cream. There is only so much time and appetite.

Recall, Eiríkr, that you once decided that the shield bash should not be implemented. You decided this after testing it with a select group, did you not? You did not consult the community at large, and whenever the subject reappears, you refer to that decision and with that consider the case closed. By that same right the present developers are not obliged to process your points, especially when there are enough other things to do.

Don't get me wrong, I have my own pet peeves as everybody knows, so I can understand your frustration, but in the end this remains a matter of priorities and difference in opinion over them.

Éadríc you ol' scoundrel.

I often forget how much work there is in development of a (successful) mod such as Víkingr. Rath0s, Davee and I discovered this, much to our horror and dismay. But it has been such a long time for us that those days are quite happily blanketed behind a blissful shimmer of rose tint and merry tunes.

We tested the shield-bash with the Einherjar, Shieldings and others for some time privately, as you said, and found it to be wholly unsavoury for the mod. I do believe there to be a difference between the withdrawal of a possible feature (shield-bash, an unknown for the public at the time) and the amendment of current implementations and values. The private testing of a shield-bash was a conscious decision for everyone involved. Were it made public I'm almost sure we would have found the same vocal opposition to a change as I am voicing now to Moeckerkalfie. Unfortunately it has been seen fit to fiddle and alter things that really didn't need any change, or at the very least things that have rarely* been made apparent for the regular community to consider.

Swords, spears and archery need attention and need to be looked at properly. I would never doubt the developers prerogative to the final word, I acknowledge that the previous developer team was often mute on certain suggestions and topics but it's important that some steps are made. Hell, Moe even suggested (I believe) that the Englisc are to receive a helping hand this patch through the reduction of price in armour. Unfortunately I am yet to see the Englisc cream a faction that contains horsemen. Out of six players, three are capable of being mounted, one with a bow and two with whatever weapons they choose to bring. There's very little in this update that seems to be made out of logical sense.

Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.
Super Important Click.

* I'm struggling to recall players whom request a higher archer // horse ratio other than newbie players and the ultimately frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom