Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter_Nicolai_Arbo-Hervors_d%C3%B8d.jpg

Hengwulf said:
When were there ever "loads" of female running around. Vikingr isn't exactly a titty bar. I mean, come one
I said a load, not loads. There is quite a difference in the meaning. A load = an unspecified amount, loads = lots of. Joys of the English language chap.

Also a character from a saga hardly counts as a reason for there to be the female gender option. Simply put, females were not on the battlefield in the capacity of a combatant. You might disagree with me on this, but to me it's just wrong for them to be there.

I understand that there weren't women on the battlefield in this times and I understand that this mod aim for the historical correct, but you can't forbid us playing as females. There are some girls/fapping boys like me who like to play as a female - and nobody cares, just a few people. It is a very good mod and there is a beautiful feeling in it. And there are only 1-3 females on the server in a normal day. And max. 5 females of 200 people in the event yesterday. If someone likes to play as a female, let him play as a female.

And please change this female voices.

rapier17 said:
Also a character from a saga hardly counts as a reason for there to be the female gender option.

Maybe the picture was meant to symbolize the death of the female characters in Víkingr... We will never know.

EDIT: Continuing the French and Mel Gibson theme here: Perhaps

I think I would be even more terrified to fight against screaming women on the battlefield. Next event, only women ! Let's remake the charge of the Valkyrie.

Ya lets just think about it. Playable female characters are only allowed and accepted when they don't talk. Not my opinion, that's just how I see most people to act like

Well, women are physically and mentally less suited for combat than men. That's not sexist, that's a scientific fact. There were some women - warriors in history though. It is not proved whether in viking age, but Scandinavian women had a very high status there, taking care of the farm when the husband was viking (yes, originally it was a verb). I could imagine some of them grabbing a sword when there was noone else to protect their riches.

Other than that, there are also women fit for manly work. I once saw a female brick-layer. The only problem is that she had to tell me she's a woman, because otherwise it was impossible to guess.

Anyways, I don't think removing female players would be in favor of the mod. They're rare anyway and it's always somewhat unnerving to see one on the battlefield.

Ya I know that this mod is aiming to be really historically accurate, but you must look the message these actions might create. Truth is that females and female protagonist aren't made quite classily and female gamers get lot of **** from male gamers. Stereotype but now without truth. So I think that equality for genders is more important than absolute realism. Even though I love you all lads, I don't think I can live in that sausagefest which might soon come...

What I think would be cool is female characters having less HP and damage, but being more agile and faster :razz: That is prodably not possible to be scripted anyway. One of my favourite RPG's - Morrowind got it right. Female characters were physically weaker, but had more social skills.

Lily-Livered River Pirate said:
Guys, really? You do understand that real women play Vikingr right? You want to dissuade ladies from playing with you? Surely we're not SUCH nerds that we'd want THAT!
But surely for a historical mod based around historical periods where gender equality did not exist for social reasons borne of practical reasons they'd understand? It'd be like turning up to a RuneQuest RP set historically in c12 and expecting to be able to play a female character who is a Knight of the Poor-Fellow Soldiers of Christ & the Temple of Solomon.

Women did not fight because they were too important to risk - it's not a 'rawr man more important' thing but the absolute reverse. With the high mortality rates amongst adults & children, with the high mortality rate through childbirth and the finite number of females in local areas, you could not risk a womans life on the battlefield. They were needed to create more children, needed to care for those children. At higher levels of society they were bargaining chips for alliances or as part of treatys (Lord Jim will marry Lady Joan to seal a peace treaty, for example). If a man had a wife who was a strong woman from a line of females who were known for giving birth to strong, healthy children, would they want them to trot along to the battlefield?

This is solely my opinion but I still think the female gender option should be removed.

Dragomir said:
What I think would be cool is female characters having less HP and damage, but being more agile and faster :razz: That is prodably not possible to be scripted anyway. One of my favourite RPG's - Morrowind got it right. Female characters were physically weaker, but had more social skills.

This is an idea I find really interesting if only there would be a way to insert this into our dear mod...

But that is silly. For I am Male and I'm much more agile and faster than my girlfriend who is a twig. I'm also much faster and more agile than many women (and dudes) I know because they are all different shapes and bastard sizes. It's a silly made up game mechanic that doesn't really fit into a historical mod at all.

To continue this debate though to see how it would work in game, what about when they are donning mail? Do they still retain their totally made up agility from maybe being of a smaller build? Even though they may not have the necessary strength or conditioning to maintain combat effectiveness in such garb?

Æthelwulf said:
But that is silly. For I am Male and I'm much more agile and faster than my girlfriend who is a twig. I'm also much faster and more agile than many women (and dudes) I know because they are all different shapes and bastard sizes. It's a silly made up game mechanic that doesn't really fit into a historical mod at all.

To continue this debate though to see how it would work in game, what about when they are donning mail? Do they still retain their totally made up agility from maybe being of a smaller build? Even though they may not have the necessary strength or conditioning to maintain combat effectiveness in such garb?

Ya those are good points and I now see the problem as I would never catch those f*cked up female archers before new age.

rapier17 said:
Women did not fight because they were too important to risk - it's not a 'rawr man more important' thing but the absolute reverse. With the high mortality rates amongst adults & children, with the high mortality rate through childbirth and the finite number of females in local areas, you could not risk a womans life on the battlefield. They were needed to create more children, needed to care for those children. At higher levels of society they were bargaining chips for alliances or as part of treatys (Lord Jim will marry Lady Joan to seal a peace treaty, for example). If a man had a wife who was a strong woman from a line of females who were known for giving birth to strong, healthy children, would they want them to trot along to the battlefield?

I completely agree with Mr. rapier17 here. But I also have to admit that I know at least one woman who played this mod. And it would be sad to drive her out...

I think we can all safetly say that women on the early medieval battlefield was not commonplace. However can I suggest that we remove the ability to craft retarded troll like character faces in the mod before we even speak about removing women!

Æscwine of Essex said:
I think we can all safetly say that women on the early medieval battlefield was not commonplace. However can I suggest that we remove the ability to craft retarded troll like character faces in the mod before we even speak about removing women!

Quoted for truth, people.

Back
Top Bottom