Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Just another suggestion: When you're doing too well in a war you may be caught into the "endless war trap".

Let's say you - as a vassal - and the other lords of your faction are very successful in a war agaonst another faction; conquering castle after castle, town after town and defeating lord after lord. Your king will always be like "We're winning this war, so I don't see a reason to end it". This seems to be going on endlessly, but that's somewhat annoying. It would be more realistic and playable if, at a certain point, the inferior faction would do everything to get a peacy treaty. But it doesn't.

It would be much more lifelike if the losing faction would beg for peace and the superior one would sign it, as in real life there are many good reasons to make peace even if you are victorious. As to M&B, for example the lords who hold only villages should wish for peace, as their villages for sure will be looted frequently and they don't get their income. Also other lords may ache for peace, to upgrade their fiefs, rebuild their forces or just simply get laid married.

I've got a notion that in Diplomacy there will never be peace between two factions if one side stands head and shoulders above another. And, being a vassal, you've got no influence except doing the guildmaster's quest or annihilating the enemy.

Well I would like to start this off by saying I love the mod (currently running Floris, which has it built in, as all mods should) And I have a bit of a larger idea then you may be used to over here. Something that would be an almost full-on expansion to the mod.

The concept?

Diplomacy-Power Behind The Throne

In essense the concept is that good kings rule the traditional way that Diplomacy has near-perfectly presented, but great kings rule from the shadows, behind the puppet that sits upon the throne.

Currently the best a player can do is buddy up to a king and his lords and hope that they hang on his words enough afterword that he/she gets awarded extra fiefs or even marshalship, but this is not sufficient for the more cunning player, and thus I propose a myriad of additions.

These are not comprehensive, but they would make a good start for this new approach to Diplomacy:

1. First one is fairly crude, but it will do for now: A "influence" bar with each faction, indicating a players overall infiltration of the peasantry, guards, and other rabble. Its purpose is to allow players to accumulate such abilities as having guards free the player from prison (or even run their shadow-empire from within the jail itself), walk straight into enemy towns with no fuss, and easily sway captured faction soldiers to join you after capture (perhaps with no morale penalty?)

I would suggest something like [Relation with faction villages+towns*Renown+Honour/Faction Relations] for the algorithm of what your influence is (thats probably terrible and imprecise for the maths, but its something to work with anyway)

2. Recruitment of spies/agents among the peasantry who gather information and execute your will within the target faction. (would probably need to include these in the "influence" algorithm somehow but I'm just brainstorming) These would be available regardless of whether you are currently fresh off the boat, a faction vassal, or a king/queen yourself (although influence would determine their availability and efficacy) The spying part is obvious but agents would also enact missions such as recruiting other agents, bribing guards to increase influence, and poisoning nobles to reduce their ability to lead men and such. The agents would likely require some form of leveling system, possibly based around Persuasion and the Agility tied skills? (once again, brainstorming)

3. Possibility of creating forged/false orders to both lords (generally for military directions) and higher ranking peasantry (tampering with the nations Constable, Chancellor, and Treasurer  :twisted:)

4. Finally the possibility to eventually completely supercede certain lords or even the king, this would keep said character as a "front" while transfering their powers upon the player. (not sure how this would be accomplished, but once again BRAINSTORMING!)

And those are the basic concepts for the start of Power Behind The Throne. Anyone who wants to chime in/shoot down my hopes and dreams feel free!

Ther's something that i really miss in the game. The option of Declare Independence or Rebel at ANY TIME. In warband, when you are a vassal and the king likes you, ther's no way to rebel. You should conquer an enemy castle and ask for it, hoping that the king refuses so you can rebel. But if you have a good relation with that king he keeps giving you the castle! You have to dig down the relation with the king and waste lot of time for it. Slow, boring and illogic as hell.

This can be fixed with the diplomacy mod.
I suggest to add the option of Declare indipendance or Rebel against a King at any time, once you have a town or a castle.

Ps: Sorry for my english.

Vohnar said:
Ther's something that i really miss in the game. The option of Declare Independence or Rebel at ANY TIME. In warband, when you are a vassal and the king likes you, ther's no way to rebel. You should conquer an enemy castle and ask for it, hoping that the king refuses so you can rebel. But if you have a good relation with that king he keeps giving you the castle! You have to dig down the relation with the king and waste lot of time for it. Slow, boring and illogic as hell.

This can be fixed with the diplomacy mod.
I suggest to add the option of Declare indipendance or Rebel against a King at any time, once you have a town or a castle.

Ps: Sorry for my english.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you can always "rebel" against your king. You can talk to him at any given moment and tell him you want to be released from your oath. Then you tell him you keep all towns and castles that you are currently lord of and from that point on you have your own kingdom.

Hmmm what about asking frendly lords of other factions that are neutral to your enemy but have good relation to you to help you in a siege or something ? it whould be a vassal option.

Farmboy102 said:
... Example, you visit a Rhodok village that you have a high relation with and meet the guild master , you ask to recruit troops you get an option like.

Village Elder : What type of men are you looking for ?

Option 1: Rhodok Seargant (80d)
Option 2: Rhodok Sharpshooter (80d)
Option 3: Rhodok Veteran Spearman (60d)
Option 4: Rhodok Veteran Crossbowman (60d)
Option 5: Rhodok Trained Spearman (40d)
Option 6: Rhodok Trained Crossbowman (40d)
Option 7: Rhodok Spearman (20d)
Option 8: Rhodok Crossbowman (20d)
Option 9: Rhodok Recruit (10d)

And so on for all the other factions as well.

Perhaps each tier is "unlocked" by doing train peasant quests or dispatching a party member to train them?

I have a few suggestion of my own, actually. Similar to the first member of your court (minister, is it?), perhaps it would be interesting to be able to appoint party members to the position? It might shrink the party a bit more, but it'll also be a decent way to keep members in holding so people don't leave.

Another idea, and which would help with party shrinkage, is that perhaps your vassals with no fiefs could be recruited as heroes, if your standing and (to avoid game breakage) level is high enough. They'd still get pissed about not having a fief, but it'd give them something to do (chance to recharge morale) and you could keep them useful.

Did I read somewhere about your character's spouse being able to join your party? If it's not being considered, it might be a cool idea for raw diplomacy.

What if lords in your party, and/or noble heroes, and/or your spouse, and/or top tier units in your party could form regents (similar to how SoD did it)?

I wouldn't mind being able to dismiss my first court member (again, I think it was minister) in favor of the stand-in temporary "prominent nobleman" if I want to travel with or dispatch my companions on missions, and I guess if "hero spouses" are implemented then this would be another option as opposed to leaving a party member behind?

I have more ideas, but these are more realistic to implement.
Keep up the amazing work with Diplomacy mod! It has become a standard for even other mods, and I can't really play without it without getting frustrated at a lack of immersion. "Why can't I ... oh, stupid non-diplomacy-incoporated-mod..."

Too many pages, but I came here because a friend suggested this game, and suggested this mod. Great work and I am enjoying it more than a little bit :razz:.

Suggestions...had so many last night and barely any come up...

The tax base, change the amount of taxes each fief yield to be Town>Castle>Village. Trade usually follows safe conditions, forts, camps castles etc would it not make sense that castles yield more trade as is where villagers go to do business if a town isn't close nearby? Or this is impossible given other issues. Not sure.

-Being able to build improvements in vassals fiefs

-Being able to trade any fief for another , even if is worse, payment would be increased of course.

-Being able to take a fief from a lord with a penalty of course.

I have 2 suggestions that I think would fit this mod.

1) The ability to recruit prisoners from Ransom Brokers at 1.25x the ransom price and 1.5x the price from city and castle prisons. They could enter your party with low morale and the lowest health possible, so you risk them deserting and you can't use them immediately, to prevent abuse.

2) The ability to start a game with the lowest prosperity city and a small amount of RTR. Rindyar Castle and Senuzgda Castle are possibilities because you have easy access to every faction.

[EDIT:]
I also have another suggestion that would be nice, but most likely very difficult, the ability to create a permanent camp where you can garrison troops, prisoners, and items. you would be limited to one or two, but it would provide you a base of operations when you are starting out on your own.

[EDIT 2:]
A map that shows the original faction ownership like this
http://i.imgur.com/WLpnZRG.jpg

and one that changes along with the game

I read a few pages, so many to go through.

I really love this mod adds to what i like best in the game.

some things i'd love to be added.

As Vassel
1)  talk to your very friendly lords and induce them to take your side in a rebellion. based on a right to rule and reputation. rather complex ai adjustments and and hard to balance.
2) Hire mecenary to do a job instead of just join. I.e attack villages, carvans, or harrassing enimes. this can stop effect on you from releaship cause mercs carry no flags. I image this just takes a bit of AI chage based on bandit data.

3) the asking king for Peace is a good idea, that i seen, as a way to accpolise this, make it a quest to go yourself to other king or maybe a high ranking lord and propoe. this gives imedite feedback no extra calulation for a new job for unit like a messaener, other king could even enforce condition like money or troops, land, and you could have to give reply to your own king say if giving upo a land ya need to convoince him or the lord of that land. All of this is just some ai and calulation.

As King
1) Subjugation, send compaion or lords to join another faction to undermined them, in such as they will turn in battle to help you changing odds of a large battle, not resiting you when you take there castle or town. This will have need to be based on the lord him self as an honorable lord never would do this.

Missalaneios
1) some way to see what prisoners are keep where in your faction, or using spy or some sort to get this data.
2) fixing ransom mission to attually be able to ransom not just fight your way out
3) claiments start war or taking cities with other lords not just you, this could add in 5 addition faction but i image this is very hard to do

Theres my 2peance,

Get mod keep up the good work

What i am aching to see implemented in a simple base mod:

From the old "Sword of Damocles" Mod:

-Recruit up to 20 Peasant Women/Townsmen/Watchmen from tavern keeper.
-Choose which faction tree the villagers you recruit should follow, or recruit them as mercenaries (for example "recruit them as [local] recruits", "recruit them as [culture of your kingdom if available] recruits", "recruit them as mercenaries").
-Order troops to become Regiments, order Regiments to follow you around/patrol around a settlement/patrol around the current location/go to a fortification.
-A deathcam that permits you to give the most basic orders and use the tactical map to see stats.
-Easy to use formation system, per troop type. Volley firing for archers is kinda neat but can just as easily be emulated by the player.
-Dialog option in prisoner conversation, to release them (and kill?).

There might be more, but these are the most aching ones.

DaTurtle said:
What i am aching to see implemented in a simple base mod:

From the old "Sword of Damocles" Mod:

-Recruit up to 20 Peasant Women/Townsmen/Watchmen from tavern keeper.
-Choose which faction tree the villagers you recruit should follow, or recruit them as mercenaries (for example "recruit them as [local] recruits", "recruit them as [culture of your kingdom if available] recruits", "recruit them as mercenaries").
-Order troops to become Regiments, order Regiments to follow you around/patrol around a settlement/patrol around the current location/go to a fortification.
-A deathcam that permits you to give the most basic orders and use the tactical map to see stats.
-Easy to use formation system, per troop type. Volley firing for archers is kinda neat but can just as easily be emulated by the player.
-Dialog option in prisoner conversation, to release them (and kill?).

There might be more, but these are the most aching ones.

Won't happen soon, mate. This mod isn't being developed for quite some time.

Just like Lord of Shadows said, mods on hiatus, Caba'drin has been absent for a while.. even on steam... I hope he's just doing secret dev stuff with the Conquest team ( DO NOT quote me on that , I'm surmising )

But some of these ideas I'd love to try in the new Freelancer spinoff I'm doing.

After trying Floris' mod (great, but too unbalanced IMHO) I chose to stick to Diplomacy. There is only one thing that I really miss from that mod so far, and that is the Custom sparring in the Arena feature. ( topic=57741.0
in this forum)

I had no problems integrating it myself from Diplomacy sources, so it is fully compatible. Consider this to be my suggestion :smile:

This is kind of a request, but I am not sure I should start another thread.  However, if it can't be done it's just a suggestion.  :wink:

The diplomacy mod is great in its ability to allow you to recruit patrols.  But they don't do quite what I need.  What I'd like to be able to do is post sentries at a choke point.  The AI (bandit or lord) will run from a party it doesn't think it can win against.  I'd like to be able to leave a group of soldiers in a choke point to deter enemy movement.

If the sentries are defeated that is fine.  It just means that a large party is moving through the choke point.  And it is better than them being defeated miles and miles from their assigned patrol area because they were chased there.  Otherwise I can be confident (for a small fee) that lords and bandits aren't preying on my villagers.

If there is a way to do this and someone wants to tell me I would love to hear it.  Otherwise I hope this makes it into the next version.

Hello! Love the mod, here's a suggestion:
I've seen this feature in a few mods (i.e. Sword of Damocles) that allows you to execute captured lords, but if you do so, your relation with all lords/ nations will drop, and if you do this many enough times, all nations will become hostile. Could you please implement something like that into Diplomacy?
Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom