Suggestions to Balance Vikings

Users who are viewing this thread

Since I've played mostly as a Viking thus far in this mod I think I've got a fairly decent idea, personally, what I'd like to see changed.

-Making the ships even more expensive, and only purchasable by the leader of the faction. Historically it wasn't every derp and his few mates grabbing a ship because they could afford it and sailing to England for the lols, they were planned en masse raids funded for by the higher ups of the tribe. Raids should feel like more of an epic journey long awaited rather than going every 15-20 minutes to raid.

-Make swords useful, as it stands they're really not a tool taken besides symbolically as the axes serve more of a purpose for a fraction of the cost.

-Add in a rival Norse tribe. As it stands there's no economic competition in Adger, especially for Smiths. They can just sit there and make mad money from the infinite supply of resources provided to them by the faction. I made 200k in two days off smithing. While it should be profitable, there should also be a chance of attack and loss of resource control like the Saxons. As it stands they can literally farm money with 0 risk.

-Reduce the crafting bonus for the Gods sake. Nearly a 2k crafting bonus for making a two handed Axe!

-Maybe add in a durability for Axes, or an unbalanced effect, or something to not make them the meta because they're better than swords. They should be the meta because they're CHEAP.

-Historically mining for ore was not popular in Scandinavia, as the largest (and easiest to access) iron was at the bottom of peat bogs. They'd cut sections of turf out from the bottom of the bog in areas that showed rust-colored water from the oxidizing iron and would put it in something like a giant furnace. It burns the turf, dirt, etc. off the iron and leaves you literally a stuck together hunk of semi ferrous material.

Granted this was some of THE most pure iron, the stages to turn this ****e into actual, workable iron took AGES, and it really wasn't until the vikings established stable trade routes that they would simply trade for either mined ore or pre-made iron bars (that leads into the Ulfhbert swords but that's not for now).

I know that harvesting bog iron is going to be a ***** to code, so maybe create a field of small ore that deplete easy, and "regrow" slowly, it'd help hinder the flow of viking viking arms and armor by far (you'd also need to modify the crafting recipes a bit for the viking armor and helmets so it doesn't take iron ore).  It might take a bit to code, and not be uploaded for a while on to the scene but it'd go a looooong way in "nerfing" the vikings.

DarthTaco said:
-Add in a rival Norse tribe. As it stands there's no economic competition in Adger, especially for Smiths. They can just sit there and make mad money from the infinite supply of resources provided to them by the faction. I made 200k in two days off smithing. While it should be profitable, there should also be a chance of attack and loss of resource control like the Saxons. As it stands they can literally farm money with 0 risk.

-Reduce the crafting bonus for the Gods sake. Nearly a 2k crafting bonus for making a two handed Axe!

-Maybe add in a durability for Axes, or an unbalanced effect, or something to not make them the meta because they're better than swords. They should be the meta because they're CHEAP.

I'm suprised, I have been playing in Mercia territory and the stockpiles there are often empty, by crafting you get little rewards, its really hard to make money there, most of the weapons crafting rewards are the same as the price of an iron bar which gives 0 profit for the smith, unless he has free iron ore. Prety much everything there gives you little money and I don't understand why Adger has infinite resources.

It looks like every faction has access to its own mine, which is not OK. I'd say to remove the mine by Mercia and heavily limit the ore resources for the Vikings. I'd suggest to place just 2-3 small ore rocks which would provide very few reources, thus forcing them to actually have a reason for their raids. Let them have all that high-tier stuff but be scarce in ore.

Historically mining for ore was not popular in Scandinavia, as the largest (and easiest to access) iron was at the bottom of peat bogs. They'd cut sections of turf out from the bottom of the bog in areas that showed rust-colored water from the oxidizing iron and would put it in something like a giant furnace. It burns the turf, dirt, etc. off the iron and leaves you literally a stuck together hunk of semi ferrous material.

Granted this was some of THE most pure iron, the stages to turn this ****e into actual, workable iron took AGES, and it really wasn't until the vikings established stable trade routes that they would simply trade for either mined ore or pre-made iron bars (that leads into the Ulfhbert swords but that's not for now).

I know that harvesting bog iron is going to be a ***** to code, so maybe create a field of small ore that deplete easy, and "regrow" slowly, it'd help hinder the flow of viking viking arms and armor by far (you'd also need to modify the crafting recipes a bit for the viking armor and helmets so it doesn't take iron ore).  It might take a bit to code, and not be uploaded for a while on to the scene but it'd go a looooong way in "nerfing" the vikings.

DarthTaco said:
-Make swords useful, as it stands they're really not a tool taken besides symbolically as the axes serve more of a purpose for a fraction of the cost.

Yea, whoever did the weapons balancing in this mod never held a weapon in his life or is an obvious axe/spear fan.
Weight balance anyone?

Swords should never go below 95ish speed, even those of the northern fellows whose swords had a weight balance a bit upward on the blade.

There's a reason people spent so much effort, time and money to produce such a weapon and its called versatility.

The atmosphere is to gritty, almost cliché gritty.
As far as I know, the Sun orbited the Earth during those times and the clouds did not make a thick, constant 400 year long sunray shield.

Also, for the love of God put back the nametags...at least the name of the player without faction info or color.

Also the Map seems to be a single forest o_O. Even without humans Britain wouldnt be a single forest

Cynfar said:
Also the Map seems to be a single forest o_O. Even without humans Britain wouldnt be a single forest
But there would have been far more trees and all of that good stuff without us.  Not many animals actively go and cut trees down, except for us!

Back
Top Bottom