Suggestions about new troops and NPCs

Users who are viewing this thread

KingBruceLee said:
Mounts could be consider as normal troops (I saw it in one mod), it's no need for "invisible rider".

And there is me typing out this huge list of options in reply then you beat me to it :smile:, but where does a fireball or thrown weapon come from in that case? The center of the mount?

Here is what I had anyway:

Loganltk said:
The trouble would occour when the mount is killed but the rider survive, then you have an invisible fireball trhowing dude running across the battlefield. Plus, if the dragon rider target is located behind the dragon it wuld look like it is throwing flames throught is A hole  :shock:

1) Falling off - Dangit I didn't think of that :smile: I was thinking for a creative way around the race limit (and to tackle dragons), unless you could code the rider to die on losing his mount, give him a decaying health but a regen while on the dragon (like the unicorn) half of that is already in place at least, the other half would need coding on the troop.

Meh it's getting complicated, doable still but less simple than I thought.

2) Flames coming out of....
Make the dragons head the mount spot, and have it raised a bit above the body, like the horses head is only higher up. It'd look like it was shooting down at you. I am not sure how much of this is possible, but if that is then it'll look fine.

But yeah okay, easier way, have a dragonkin/dragon rider/dragonborn/dragon blood, with a big regen on the dragon/drake/wyvern so you have to kill it before he dies(Plus he's really high up). It'd still look awesome to have fire raining down from him from above, or if fire is overdone, frost or lightening or other dragon related abilities.

Wing buffet :smile:, knockback would be fun. In fact if you did abilities that had no visible projectile like that, claw, wingbuffet, tail swipe, stampede etc, then maybe where the projectile came from wouldn't matter anyway.

I posted some ideas in the main suggestions post and a lot of them were unit based but in the middle of posting that long list of suggestions I noticed the topic spefically of units so I copied those and pasted them on a notepad and pasted them here

1. A Gnome faction, or at least a way to get gnome troops (perhaps as caravan guard or something), it's odd they are playable race and you get gnome heroes AND they are gnome NPCs yet gnome aren't (as far as an tell a part any troops) (Side note: I would ask for Halflings but you seem to having Gnomes kind of acting a fusion of the two anyways, but if you wanted to incorporate halflings that would be fine by me.)

2. A Goblin faction, or at the very least goblin raiders, because considering the D&D style, and goblins being one of the common races it's odd they don't exist, also if you include them could them as a playable race that would be cool (I'd recommend +1 Str, +1 Agl, -2 Cha for stats BTW)

3. Sans the protaganist and hero characters their doesn't seem to be any female dwarf troops, perhaps you could possibly get them the same way you get human peasant woman (in villager groups that get kidnapped by bandits).

4. Could you make female Orc Slaves, it's odd that any slave trade would only have men.

5. And on the subject of Female Orcs, it's odd that the only female Orc troop type is an Orc Shaman, could you add a base "Orc Tribeswoman" or something like that, that you could get from Prisioners.

6. And on the subject of Orcs Class trees, it seems like it could be a bit more expansive as it stands it's a bit linear for a faction tree, and lacking a lot of diversity, I know orcs in fiction tend to be somewhat narrow focused, but I think it might be worthwhile to add some long range combat (maybe threw throwing or something like that), some horse archers, and some magic (perhaps in the form of male shamans, which wouldn't be too out of line), and if you are gonna focus on melee combat you could at least have them have a good diversity in combat styles rather than just simply "Mounted Branch" and "Infantry Branch"

7. Also on the subject of Orc Class trees, its odd that the base male orc class is "Orc Looter", especially when you get them from villages, and such, perhaps, make the starting class "Orc Tribesman" and make looter a promotion

8. The mage faction is kind of weird, it's odd that human mages are (or less) attached to one and only one of the human factions, maybe add you could add mages (and clerics) to the other human factions (just one or two classes each is fine honestly)

9. On the subject of the Mage faction, instead of being an (almost) exclusively mage factions, perhaps you could make it a seventh human factions with an emphasis on magic expanded a lot because it's literally entirely linear, also don't make the starting unit a mage it's kind of odd for magic (a field that in most works of fiction requires massive study) to be know completely by the masses of any culture, I made an example troop tree for magic heavy culture notice the intentionally small and limiting physical branch, it serves to few purposes to act as a possible replacement for the guard class, that you have and to show that not literally everyone in the country is a freaking mage because that's really wierd. Also noticed the branches on the mage tree it's to allow diversity, it gives the players three options with the mages one to make them pure mages (this branch should probably have the better spells along with more deverse spell), the mage knight branch (which should have the worst magical abilities of the three mage branches, but more than make up for it in mounted mobility, decent defense, and melee combat abilities), and the sage branch (which should have better mage abilties than the mage knight, but worse than the master mage, makes up for it with faith abilities this also gives the Mage factions healing abilities that the other factions have (assuming you add clerics to other factions)).

Example Troop tree (The cultural name is magalian for this example, and I use the same color coating you do)
                                      -> Magalian Mage Rider -> Magalian Mage Fighter -> Magalian Mage Knight
            -> Magalian Novice Mage -> Magalian Mage -> Magalian Adept Mage -> Magalian Expert Mage -> Magalian Master Mage
Magalian Recruit                                                                                                                          -> Magalian Sage -> Magalian Archsage
            -> Magalian Militia ->    Magalian Fighter -> Magalian Veteran Fighter
                                                                        -> Magalian Cavalary -> Magalian Veteran Cavalary

-> Magalian Horse Archer
                                      -> Magalian Skrimisher -> Magalian Archer -> Magalian Veteran Archer
                                                                        -> Magalian Veteran Skrimisher
8. Also as you can figure from my earlier ideas, an idea I had to make it so people can get females Elves and drow from both rescuing elven/drow civilians, but another idea I had was that for Elves and Drow which you seem to be trying to make them relatively progressive in women's rights was that perhaps you could female troops along with male troops from villages (such as in the More Women mod) for the elves and drow, same with the mage faction.

9. Mercenaries of other races, it's weird that all the mercenaries are still human (And if you have mercenaries of other races perhaps allow female mercenaries for Elves and Drow)

10. (Repeated from the main tread suggestions because it kind of applies to both threads) Mixed-Race Characters and units, namely half-elves and half-orcs (Though other options would be cool), I wouldn't mind to much if they were protagonist and hero characters only but having Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as mercenaries or having a small chance to appear in villages or something would be nice.

The orc troop tree could be expanded to include barbarian style soldiers as well as another branch for clerics, besides just the female orcs. In DnD Orcs are known to channel their anger outward as barbarian rage or inward as a cleric.

It would add more variety to a full orc army. Not to mention the player won't be the only orc barbarian who enrages.

Morrowind Mod Man said:
The orc troop tree could be expanded to include barbarian style soldiers as well as another branch for clerics, besides just the female orcs. In DnD Orcs are known to channel their anger outward as barbarian rage or inward as a cleric.

It would add more variety to a full orc army. Not to mention the player won't be the only orc barbarian who enrages.
Actually,  most orcs are considered barbarians and do get  enraged :wink:
In the next version clerics of Gruumsh will be also in.

I would say that if this WONDERFUL mod needs anything it would be female troops and the armor they require.

Would personally love to see a female ninja added to compliment the male samurai. A female priestess, a female sorceress as well as a succubus in the demon ranks.

I would like to see a cultist mercenary. They could be battle mages specializing in two handers and dark magic

Edit: Please, please, please add unique spawns. Someone else suggested it on the suggestions forums aswell. A unique character leading a small faction, that could build an army of their own unique troops and take a castle. It is a lot of work so I can see why you may not want to do it. But imagine, a skeleton lord, a grandmaster lich, and neither of those need their own unique troops. Maybe even a gnome wizard or arquebusier! If you need to see it in a mod, Prophesy of Pendor has many unique spawns

There are a actually a few unique spawns already present in the game, and I was working on a few new ones before I had to come to a stop about a year and a half ago. Maybe I can still dig up the files somewhere. (though they'd also have to be approved by guspav)

LazySteve said:
There are a actually a few unique spawns already present in the game, and I was working on a few new ones before I had to come to a stop about a year and a half ago. Maybe I can still dig up the files somewhere. (though they'd also have to be approved by guspav)
I meant with unique leaders aswell, instead of a band of unholy knights with no leader, there could be someone like Dracor the Immolator (A good example of my inability to come up with good names) who leads are much larger army of unholy Knights.

I posted this in Levity's monster lab sticky as well, sorry for the double post so here goes:

Helmed Horrors
These are basically animated suits of armor, sort of like golems, but potentially more powerful, since they have access to limited magic.

latest

These could either be dark wizard minions or even an upgrade to golems (not as part of a troop tree, but a seperate unit, for hire or created via enchanting armor.), possibly even for roaming bands, such as a wandering dark archmage.

I've been thinking about the undead troop tree.  I've been avoiding playing undead since it seems that the abundance of clerics in the game would get my army nuked by turn undead a lot.  So, random idea, but how about having undead priests provide turn protection for the armies they belong to.  In d&d mummies are usually high level clerics, so undead priests would be mummies.  Say you have 5 tiers for mummy priests to advance through.  The first tier they only protect themselves from being turned.  Each tier they protect one of your undead troops from being turned.  So a tier 5 mummy would prevent the mummy and 4 other members from being blown to bits by a cleric.  Mummies have fear aura's as I recall, so you would probably want them to cast terror a lot.  So I can have them hang out with the archers and laugh as my enemies are shot in the back running away.  :twisted:

I saw the screen shots for skeleton cavalry.  Very cool.  By d&d rules skeletons are resistant to piercing and slashing damage.  That might be cool to implement, though you would want to make them take extra damage from blunt to balance out.  Probably lower their hit points a bit compared to their living counterparts for good measure. 

In general I would go for zombie infantry, skeleton cavalry, mummy priests, skeleton archers and shadow wizards.  Maybe a flesh golem for kicks.

Thesslian said:
I've been thinking about the undead troop tree.  I've been avoiding playing undead since it seems that the abundance of clerics in the game would get my army nuked by turn undead a lot.  So, random idea, but how about having undead priests provide turn protection for the armies they belong to.  In d&d mummies are usually high level clerics, so undead priests would be mummies.  Say you have 5 tiers for mummy priests to advance through.  The first tier they only protect themselves from being turned.  Each tier they protect one of your undead troops from being turned.  So a tier 5 mummy would prevent the mummy and 4 other members from being blown to bits by a cleric.  Mummies have fear aura's as I recall, so you would probably want them to cast terror a lot.  So I can have them hang out with the archers and laugh as my enemies are shot in the back running away.  :twisted:

I saw the screen shots for skeleton cavalry.  Very cool.  By d&d rules skeletons are resistant to piercing and slashing damage.  That might be cool to implement, though you would want to make them take extra damage from blunt to balance out.  Probably lower their hit points a bit compared to their living counterparts for good measure. 

In general I would go for zombie infantry, skeleton cavalry, mummy priests, skeleton archers and shadow wizards.  Maybe a flesh golem for kicks.

I play necro/mage, I can tell you that while I like the idea of giving them effects along the lines of DnD, they don't need it. I used an army of about 50 mummy priests, 50ish mages from the necromancer line and companions to siege and capture the blazing hand temple, in the field I use chaos to stop the blazing hand cav and OP turn rush while everyone sits back hammering them, field is the only issue for the undead against blazing hand and they are all out priests, the priests in the other factions however are easily mowed down/singled out before they engage your undead. I find that they are at a huge disadvantage against priests, but only if you fight the blazing hand before you have a spell like Chaos or at least enough magic power to destroy their priests before they engage your undead... all in all though, I would like to see some of the dnd characteristics being implemented, like the mummy's fear aura... those guys were a pain to kill since as a cleric I could never use any anti-undead ability/spell to kill/wound them no matter what I tried where as in this, second they run into a cleric, it's gameover.

Just a minor suggestion, but since battlefields are marked, perhaps you can visit battlefields afterwards and recruit troops?  Just a suggestion....

Kharille said:
Just a minor suggestion, but since battlefields are marked, perhaps you can visit battlefields afterwards and recruit troops?  Just a suggestion....

Doesn't really fit in this thread, this one is for new troops and NPCs.  However I will add to this...

With that in mind it should only be Necromancer that could do that and only in ones that actually had a certain number of participants that had so many deaths involved(would probably need to make a new way for battlefield registration within the game or add new values to the battlefield markers...), Rogues could use battlefields the same way but instead of recruitment, they could get random loot left behind, and it would also open up the option for (minor)demon recruitment due to the massive blood "sacrifice" in the area :O

Oh yeah, I was thinking about Necromancers.  And that's a great idea about the thieves and battlefield loot.  They must've missed some gold teeth somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom