Suggestions about new items

Users who are viewing this thread

This is not about some specific item and i don't know if has been suggested already, but i would like armor sets which give you a stat increase or enhancement when wearing  the complete set,also must be not so easy to get...and i would looove 1 or 2 more firearms besides the arquebus :mrgreen:

A couple of new firearms for the dwarves would be greatly appreciated. A pistol that loads slightly quicker and does less dmg than the arquebus (like a crossbow variant might), and something like a blunderbuss, perhaps, would round out the firearms collection nicely. One of the main reasons I play SoD: Warlords so much is/was because of its incredibly cool firearms. They're just so Dwarvy. :lol:

As for Dwarven mounts, I think some kind of boar or giant goat would be great, but only for a tier that's higher than what already exists, imo, and they would have to be terribly rare. Dwarves are meant to plod along in heavy armor, resisting arrows and shot and magic (thanks to their natural defenses), until they can bonk or chop you up close. Any kind of cavalry negates this natural dwarven tendency and, I think, takes away from their charm.

A goat would actually have some form of historical justification (if that's necessary), as Thor (since everybody sees the connection with Northern/European mythology in the dwarves) was pulled around on his chariot by two goats, Teeth-Barer and Teeth-Grinder.

As for ponies...well, I think ponies have no place on the battlefield. What kind of a pony could ever carry a dwarf in harness? And if it could, this magical Schwarzeneggerian-goat, what self-respecting dwarf is going to bounce along on a pony when he can stamp over in full dignity?  :lol:

p.s. those Drow look fantastic on those spiders....creeps-a-doosy

WizardOfAtlantis said:
As for ponies...well, I think ponies have no place on the battlefield. What kind of a pony could ever carry a dwarf in harness? And if it could, this magical Schwarzeneggerian-goat, what self-respecting dwarf is going to bounce along on a pony when he can stamp over in full dignity?  :lol:

In Hobbit Thorin's party travelled on ponies  :grin: You're right, that suggestion was quite unfortunate, but it still may be good choice for dwarven or gnomish merchants  :wink: I think Dwarven Champion on war bear would look epic

KingBruceLee said:
In Hobbit Thorin's party travelled on ponies  :grin:
Yes, I remember  :smile:, but I chalk that up to Tolkien writing a children's book. Even then, though, they didn't go into battle on ponyback.  He has no "good" mounts available besides horses (eagles don't really fit into that category), either, in any of his stuff. Only the bad guys get wicked mounts.  :twisted:

I do realize that for a game, a pony is probably the easiest thing. Still don't think they should get them, but there you go.

I love the magic weapons in the Four Ways Inn! There are just a few lacking to round out the the gamut of weapons.

I'd like to see at least one magical item for the following items:

Shield- Particularly for Knights and heavy mounted units, and also for unmounted archers and infantry. There are some really beautiful dragon shields in play that are very nice. I love the magic items, though :grin:

Polearm/Lance/Halberd- The vanilla versions just don't have that "Wow!" factor. Halbards are unwieldy to begin with, and lances are fairly pathetic after an initial charge when mounted

Crossbow/Bolts (arbelesque bullets) - I'd like to see bullets with a "singing arrow" equivalent, and a crossbow similar to the Magic Bow

(Some of the ideas in an earlier post were very nice! Dragon Lance or Frost Lance. The main reason I'd like to see this is because when I get into the arena and I'm armed with a lance and horse, I cringe. Especially when you lose your mount.)

Javelin options would be nice, too! I love shopping at the Inn!

CHIMouttathisplane has some really great ideas!

the new unique weapons are awesome, love this feature.  My "suggestion" is more of a complaint, though;  they are really cheap and easy to get.  It seems to me that they should be way more expensive (like, 10x as expensive, if not more)  and/or harder to get.  I presume the current merchant is just a placeholder, but barring some Pendor-style quest,  just throwing it out there that imo it would be cool if they were distributed to random lords or something like that.  Not sure how hard this would be to set up, given that no mod has done it before, but maybe you could force lords to hand over their artifacts for ransom, etc.    Get the archmage gear from the archmage leader of the mages instead of buying from a tavern guy, for example - lots of possibilities!

But probably also a lot of work :sad:

Expensive and difficult-to-get magical weapons isn't really D&D-ish.

It's not like these weapons are epic weapons, like body armour with an armour value of 100 or a sword that does 90pierce damage on a trust.  :razz: Besides, many of these  magical weapons are also common weapons for normal soldiers, like the vorpal sword or the returning hammer.

CHIMouttathisplane said:

It's not like these weapons are epic weapons, like body armour with an armour value of 100 or a sword that does 90pierce damage on a trust.  :razz: Besides, many of these  magical weapons are also common weapons for normal soldiers, like the vorpal sword or the returning hammer.

^ This. That being said some of the weapons do have odd price ranges. I know I could get some of the magic equipment for what I could get a heavy bastard sword XD. The weapon prices would just take some double checking of similar stat items.

CHIMouttathisplane said:

Depends greatly on the edition.  You could not buy magic in core 2nd edition.  3rd and 4th changed it and 5th DMG comes out today so who knows.

Seconding the desire for Boots of Speed
Something simple like the ring of healing, an extremely weak piece of armor that gives an insane boost to movement speed, like, beyond what athletics can provide.
I need this Guspav
My barbarian wizard-king needs to chase the horses
He NEEDS to
Chase the stupid horses and their stupid goddamn faces

On a separate note, I personally would love to see more non-magical items. While the selection here is nice, it still feels pretty vanilla when you exclude the dwarf's and the elf's faction armors/weapons. Perisno and Blood And Steel present a wide selection of armors, most of which I believe are open as a modding resource, would it be possible to bring more of those in and spice up the factions?

Also, on the subject of dwarven mounts. You have in-lore confirmation that people can conjure electricity and fire from their hands with training, and you have confirmation that dwarves in this setting have higher tech than everyone else. Why not give them primitive vehicles? Like, maybe a thunderbolt powered car-golem thing that has astronomically high stats for speed, armor and health, but abysmal almost to the point of non-existent maneuvering? Just throw in an added requirement of a certain level of magic power in order to equip it to yourself or a companion, in order to maintain lore-friendliness.

I saw one mention of Necromancer Items in here.

Any plans for multiple types of necro items with the Necromancy affix like the staff?.
The mentioning of the poisoned things for necromancer, but didn't see to support the necro affix for minion control.

I would like to see:
  • 1h Sword.
  • 2h Sword.
  • Bow.
  • Xbow.
  • Hxbow.
  • Shield.
  • Maybe some special 1h bladed weapons like wolverines claws or something.
  • Throwing weapons, unless there is going to be like new spells for necro that would be similar to this.
Pretty much if these were all in a spell book of a weapon conjuring or something then that would be awesome too.
I don't care if i have to sacrifice one of my minions randomly for me to summon the item permanently for that specific battle.
I assume a 2h weapon would sacrifice 2 minions.
And bows and xbows would sacrifice 2 aswell, for the weapon and ammo.
The shield probably only needs to have 1 sacrificed, unless there are different variations, in which more minions would need to be sacrificed for a stronger shield.

therex55213 said:
Seconding the desire for Boots of Speed
Something simple like the ring of healing, an extremely weak piece of armor that gives an insane boost to movement speed, like, beyond what athletics can provide.
I need this Guspav
My barbarian wizard-king needs to chase the horses
He NEEDS to
Chase the stupid horses and their stupid goddamn faces

use  the spell haste, let yourself get athletics to 15, you'll outrun basically everything except certain nightmare riders

a spell like undead hands that would require both magic and necromancy and would create hands from the ground that latch onto enemies, terrifying some, slowing some, knocking some to the ground and dealing damage in that area.

something that would give you invisibility or at least some kind of way to pass behind the enemy lines without every enemy looking at you so you could actually use the stealthy mechanics(eg silent boots, invisibility armour, helm of hades- this makes the wearer invisible)

as was already suggested by some other people - blunt magic missiles - for the mage arena,
and maybe like enslavers missiles - black version which would change an enemy defeated this way into an undead

Pairwood(or magical wood) - commodity item sold between different places, could be used with one of the gems to make a staff at locations like cities with a guild

Fist of the gods - a Faith+Magic chant(probably in the faith tab) that would call down a giant fist on the cursor in a few seconds dealing massive blunt damage - would cost like 80FP and 50Mp basically depleting you but very useful

Knockback/down(Shockwave) - either an item or spell that would create a shockwave around(or in front of) the caster, knocking enemies down or knocking them back a few notches

lightning spear- a spear that would be similar to a lightning bolt when thrown(only 1 ammo) and would take a long time to get back to the user and in melee would deal some additional magic damage to the target and stun him and some immediately close foes for a split second

a snake weapon that would poison an enemy and make an effect of a snake around his neck(could possibly remove the current helmet for some of the people with less magic resist)

an unholy symbol that would be used by faith necromancers after they become liches and would give some cool lich stuff like creating friendly reinforcements of undead, changing enemies into undead

a magical food - zombie chow or something - you could make it from beef or other perishables and it would serve to nullify the effect of zombies, demons and maybe something else on the morale.

Maybe a consumable- like beremberts flasks, which youu could throw at yourself / your allies to speed them up and speed up their attacks.

Traps would be a nice theoretic thing - with trappers who could place 1 each and you would be able to place a few(spike trap, pitfall trap, explosive trap) maybe it would be too strong against cavalry so I'm not sure about the balance

A medusa head - hold item that would petrify enemies in front of you.

Long-sight cap - would(possibly) increase the zoom with shift and increase accuracy for all ranged weapons

If in the next update you can play as evil cleric please add more Death Knight armors and weapons

Not sure if this was recommended already, but a ring of jumping?  Not sure how you can affect it but I think I vaguely recall something about that, or was that fallout 3?

therex55213 said:
On a separate note, I personally would love to see more non-magical items. While the selection here is nice, it still feels pretty vanilla when you exclude the dwarf's and the elf's faction armors/weapons.

Perisno and Blood And Steel present a wide selection of armors, most of which I believe are open as a modding resource, would it be possible to bring more of those in and spice up the factions?

It should be no secret that after Perisno .70 was released, I spent nearly *all* my game time playing Phantasy Calradia, which I considered superior to Perisno .70 but on par with Perisno .6 series.  Aside from what I consider too much indulgence for undead_as_your_friends, I think Phantasy came close to what I wanted in a mod.  The Perisno items set are NOT open source, BUT they were "mostly" pulled together from OTHER open sources which can also be visited.

You would, if you wanted to "second source" items, go to various collections and examine their resources - TLD for Elves, Drow, Dwarves (this was already done in Phantasy, I can see the models), Elven Path - the TLD models with some extra scenes and some other extensions to items, especially rings and underground props; there are lots of places to find items.  There is a crusader mod that has nice models for sarranids.  I'm not sure where the spiders came from but maybe TLD, I'll have to look further.  I think TLD had wargs so there is the wolf used.  Lor's horses has another 29 or so mounts that can be used.
There are numerous places for improved faces over native; for Perisno team the hair was more difficult than the faces, and needed some editing.

I don't know what Blood & Steel can offer in the way of artistic resources, but the code was interesting.

Having some experience in this, I can say it seems easier to merge mods when you are a consumer than it is when you are the dev, but I think
the main limiting factor is simply imagination.  The one disadvantage to having models from for example 10 different mods is the overhead from so many resources loading, and referencing texture files/meshes hard coded at the .brf files, is that eventually they take too much memory and fail to load on 32-bit OS or when the user client does not select "load textures on demand".  Perisno is in this state now.  By our reckoning, it has over 1,134 unused items from a count of 2,400+.  If I consider 50 of those to be foods and 100 to be alternative models for melee use of throwing weapons etc, this is considerable wasted space.

The short answer:  Let Gustav have freedom to add or not as he chooses, he seems really slow to get updates out but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with his mod, from a technical perspective.  A lot of mods cannot or should not think themselves better.  I'm pretty sure his next version will raise the bar considerably.  But you know how it is -- if a dev isn't sleeping on the job, hopefully innovation continues.  I think you already saw a better Drow area from the Elven Path scenes in a sneak preview shown by Guspav.  It will be interesting to see what else comes.

- GS

A Twilight Hood for mages who want to wear the Twilight Armor because the Twilight Armor kinda looks like armored robes and that's cool. Plus a paladin equivalent of the Twilight Armor.

Plus a crown helmet for those who want to not only fight like a king... but dress like a king with a leadership bonus.

Back
Top Bottom