[Suggestion] Wider field-of-view in first person? (EDIT: Confirmed by Armagan!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Armagan,don't forget trackIR support.TrackIR could work wonders by allowing a player to change FOV on the fly.Put head forward and the FOV narrows and zooms.Put head backwards and far enough you exit FP and enter 3rd person view for quick situational look around.

Sorry wolfstriked but trackIR support is probably not something that would be worth implementing support for. Although it is a very cool system, I don't think that nearly enough players use it to make it worth the development time. :wink:

silentdawn said:
Widescreen would be good I'm tired of having the top and bottoms cut off of my view.
Umm, the game has widescreen support. The menus and menu art do get stretched, (which is a bit annoying and something that'd be nice if it was fixed) but the game itself is fine.

Hmm, maybe this will help with the problems I am having with the new movement system.  Before I was constantly looking around due to the FOV, but maybe this will help reduce the need to :smile:

I wish to suggest a new view for when someone is wearing a helm that covers the eyes.  Perhaps make it so that you see as if through a grate?

Most helms ingame won't block all that much of your sight and the few who do would do so too much to bother using these helms so that seems to be a, err, useless suggestion.

COGlory said:
I wish to suggest a new view for when someone is wearing a helm that covers the eyes.  Perhaps make it so that you see as if through a grate?

I hate to break it to you, but that feature, which some mods have put into the game, is not realistic.

I own a great helm, and when I bought the thing I had about two dozen measurements of my face made (such as distance between the eyes, distances from eyes to outside of head, height of forehead, etc) so that the little slits that you look through actually do not impede vision. 

Similarly, Norman helmets with their nasal guard do not impede vision because the nasal guard covers the nose, not the eyes....just take two of your fingers and hold them vertically up against your nose....you see them but they don't block your view.

The only thing the Great Helm really impedes is breathing....but as of yet there is no way to have a computer reach out and suffocate you...which would solve forum trolling if they did.

Skot the Sanguine said:
The only thing the Great Helm really impedes is breathing....but as of yet there is no way to have a computer reach out and suffocate you...which would solve forum trolling if they did.

I've decided to dedicate my life to the development of such a device.

Skot the Sanguine said:
COGlory said:

I hate to break it to you, but that feature, which some mods have put into the game, is not realistic.

I own a great helm, and when I bought the thing I had about two dozen measurements of my face made (such as distance between the eyes, distances from eyes to outside of head, height of forehead, etc) so that the little slits that you look through actually do not impede vision. 

Similarly, Norman helmets with their nasal guard do not impede vision because the nasal guard covers the nose, not the eyes....just take two of your fingers and hold them vertically up against your nose....you see them but they don't block your view.

Obviously not Normal Helmets, open faced ones, and the like, and the great helms do impede vision slightly.  Even just the outline would be neat.  You can still not see in the peripheral vision as if you were not wearing a helm.

COGlory said:
Obviously not Normal Helmets, open faced ones, and the like, and the great helms do impede vision slightly.  Even just the outline would be neat.  You can still not see in the peripheral vision as if you were not wearing a helm.

Slightly, unless they are not fitted to your dimensions (such as something purchased at some random armor making company....which wouldn't be realistic for the Middle Ages anyway).

The problem is that:
-It would be very hard to reproduce the slight reduction in peripheral vision accurately
-It would give those using 3rd Person an even greater advantage

In real life it is easy to turn your eyes and look around quickly (this method is what the Great Helm impedes the most, since it blocks the right eye from seeing left well and the left from seeing right well).  It also doesn't take much to just turn your head to face whatever threat might be approaching.  Although the game allows for turning a characters head (which needs to be animated, IMO), it is not nearly as easy or useful as doing so in real life.

I am not going to denounce the option, but as long as it stays an option (even if its realism is quite low).

The other thing the Great Helm limits is hearing...but so do maille coifs and padded coifs, basinets, etc.

Back
Top Bottom