[Suggestion] Swadian "Light Crossbow"

Should the light crossbow be added to Warband's multiplayer mode?

• Yes, the light crossbow should be added and the mounted archery skill should be upped for swadia.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Yes, light crossbow is a good option, but no skill changes necessary.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Light crossbow should be added to Swadians only.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Light Crossbow should be added to both Swadians and Rhodock factions.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • No, this item would imbalance the game and is a bad idea.

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I know your first response might be screaming "IMBALANCE" but please hear me out.  The Swadian mounted crossbow units are currently available as bots.  They have a sword and a pretty weak crossbow, the "light crossbow," that enables them to reload it while on horseback.  Like reloading normal crossbows, the reloading process is slow and cumbersome and gets interrupted if hit.  It would, however, add more dynamics to the Swadians.  The "light crossbow" is a weak, pretty pathetic crossbow and the mounted archery skill is not very high for Swadian units.  I do, however, believe adding this weapon to the multiplayer arsenal is a great idea.  Post your ideas; but before you post/complain, please test out this little crossbow (it does not penetrates shields). =)

No big issue with including mounted crossbowmen, it would make swadia just that little more distinctive.
Take a look at how annoying horse archers are, a crossbow would not even be in the same ball park for annoyance compared to HAs

Crossbows suck in general, i can remember quite clearly 4 patches ago, Now they are just a **** version of an archer, they don't have
the OOMPH they had, they barely penetrate  free shields and its like winning the lottery if you penetrate a higher tiered shield.

In general crossbows suck now, in accuracy, in Capability to put down a charging hobo.
So i think a mounted crossbowman  would generally suck balls as a unit, because they suck even with the 'powerful' (haha i said powerful)  620 gold version.

There where small powerful all-metal crossbows used by mounted units, as a secondary weapon.

I'd love to see mounted crossbowmen as a 4th troop type, just like the bots have.  Editing the current Swadian crossbowman to accommodate this would also work I suppose.

In fact, I'd like to see more classes for all factions.  Nords and Rhodoks could have two infantry classes (one focusing more on polearms/2handers and the other more on sword & shield).  Vaegirs could get either a skirmisher infantry (and make current Vaegir infantry more focused on close combat) or a horse archer (much weaker than Khergits, of course).  Khergits could get a skirmisher cavalry (focused on javelins and light lance) and light infantry of some sort.  Sarranids could get either a horse archer, skirmisher cavalry, or some sort of infantry variant.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
I'd love to see mounted crossbowmen as a 4th troop type, just like the bots have.  Editing the current Swadian crossbowman to accommodate this would also work I suppose.

In fact, I'd like to see more classes for all factions.  Nords and Rhodoks could have two infantry classes (one focusing more on polearms/2handers and the other more on sword & shield).  Vaegirs could get either a skirmisher infantry (and make current Vaegir infantry more focused on close combat) or a horse archer (much weaker than Khergits, of course).  Khergits could get a skirmisher cavalry (focused on javelins and light lance) and light infantry of some sort.  Sarranids could get either a horse archer, skirmisher cavalry, or some sort of infantry variant.

I second this. Rather than lumping everything into one group, different classes could add a bit of variety to the game

I say replace rhodok's current cavalry with the mounted xbow.

Although in order for them to be effective, sword and board animations need to be fixed

Yes give it to Swadia. Remove the siege crossbow also so Rhodoks will be the better foot xbow class. Mounted xbowmen don't suit rhodoks at all.

Give it to Swadia. Their crossbowmen are dismal in strength as it is.

Crossbows should be more powerful than a bow shot, in terms of balance, because of the reload time.

The other solution is adding deployable shields for cover.

Phallas said:
So i think a mounted crossbowman  would generally suck balls as a unit, because they suck even with the 'powerful' (haha i said powerful)  620 gold version.

This. Why give the option to chose a useless unit?
Every mounted crossbowman would be -1 troop for the swadian side.

I really miss the "replace the siege crossbow with the light crossbow for Swadia" option, It'd set Rhodok and Swadian xbowmen further apart. (Swadian crossbowmen should be allowed to buy saddle horses then ofc)

And, mounted crossbowmen aren't useless if you play them smart, you just have to use the mobility to your advantage. Just yesterday I nicked a saddle horse in team deathmatch as an xbowman and got 6 or 7 kills before I got killed even once on a TDM server, and that despite the fact that I had to dismount at a save place to reload (of course I didn't charge them heads on but used the horse to flank the enemies and stood still to shoot them, but this would balance out if you had a weaker crossbow that you could shoot from horseback).

Where I do agree with many of your opinions, I explicitly disagree with taking away siege crossbows from Swadia.  Swadians have been nerfed to the point where they are a pretty limited race.  They struggle against shielded foes but excel at mounted combat. The Rhods have been buffed to the point of supremacy.  They have the best spears, best shields, decent calv with heavy lance, and the best crossbowmen.  Where they do lack in armor, their numerous weapon choices (hammers too) more than make up for this disparity.  Crossbows in general have been dulled down so much they're, as some people put, useless.  Where they used to be my favored class, they're pretty useless if you compare them to how they used to be.  This said, an even weaker crossbow (the light crossbow) is pretty pathetic, but, I believe, would be a great deal of fun for many people to play.

Back
Top Bottom