[SUGGESTION] Shield System Reform.

Users who are viewing this thread

It would make missile attacks harder to block, although I don't know what you're talking about with dice rolls. The idea is you have to actively catch a missile on your shield. It wouldn't be impossible to learn this. They can already hit your feet 100% of the time if you're just charging at them in a straight line hoping your shield does all the work.

I love your pictures in the OP.

It reminds me of my days in a Dark Age battle re-enactment society back in the early 90s (Regia Anglorum). I still have my Anglo-Saxon roundshield in my garage at the back. Awwww, those were the days.  I tell you, a full chainmail hauberk slows you down but you feel invincible!

Anyone else ever done that kind of thing?

The Duke

Quantum said:
I love your pictures in the OP.

It reminds me of my days in a Dark Age battle re-enactment society back in the early 90s (Regia Anglorum). I still have my Anglo-Saxon roundshield in my garage at the back. Awwww, those were the days.  I tell you, a full chainmail hauberk slows you down but you feel invincible!

Anyone else ever done that kind of thing?

The Duke

No but I've certainly love to try it :smile: I'm too poor to afford the kit though ... and the airfare to a country awesome enough to do it :sad:

Most people start with basic equipment. Shield, spear, simple clothes and shoes. That's not tooo expensive but it's tricky if you're a student or not working for sure.

The chainmail, helm and sword (or dane-axe !!!) are a bit more pricey. I ended up being an archer - there wasn't many of those - and I loved it. Nothing like shooting an angry anglo-dane charging you with a 2 handed axe. parry that! Heh heheheheh.

The Duke

Haha! Did you have riveted or butted mail?

I could probably afford a spear and the clothing, only be a couple of hundred wouldn't it? Spearheads and not the whole thing are the only thing that can only really be sent ... which would require me attaching lol. The biggest issue though is that I live in Australia, not too many reenactment societies or those like the SCA around and the AUS gov is so restricting they'd probably try and arrest you for carrying a "lethal weapon" :sad: I think there's an SCA group but not sure if there's any nearby, oh and I live in a town too.

I've love to do it though, I look in envy at the States and Europe :sad:

Yes! Shield play must be more intresting.

And here are several new gameplay features can be implemented:

Such as "shield-push" - for example, first press down and hold right mouse btn to activate shield defence. Than press left btn to make shield push. This can be good (extra-)alternative for kick and variety gameplay very well. ... and enough real

Another new offer from me for shields - some "salut-animation" - like in single when bots wins but only using shield - light impact (flap) by sword plane on shield. Especially it can be popular in dm before a duel :smile:

Also parring by shield from 0.650 was great!

Removing forcefields would be a great, great, thing -- IF combined with a lot more shield movement (up/down and left/right) and body movement (i.e. ducking/crouching), to make up for it.

Everyone has always agreed this would be best, but "force-fields" is an essential part of the skill system in the single-player game, unless, of course, you have an idea as to how the Shield skill would work without it ?

Edit : As the single-player and multi-player aspect of the game will play by the same rules, for those to whom this might be new.

The shield skill could be used to increase the speed of getting out the shield, raising the shield, etc. Also, instead of increasing the infamous force field, it could affect the resistance value of it a bit.

With that in mind, I fully support this idea.

I have thought the same. The only hindrance is it would have to work properly for AI-controlled bots aswell, which I am not sure it would. But stupid bots is better than magic force-fields, of course, I think most will agree.

L-J-F - alas we had butted mail, not riveted. I made some myself, it took bloody ages but was great fun :razz:

Skandinav said:
I have thought the same. The only hindrance is it would have to work properly for AI-controlled bots aswell, which I am not sure it would. But stupid bots is better than magic force-fields, of course, I think most will agree.
True. And maybe the bots could be made to fight more aggressively. An attacking bot isn't going to be having much trouble with being ineffective with a shield.

Which brings me to another point. Shields should also remain protective even during attacks. This would also help to balance the new skill requirement.

ares007 said:
Shields should also remain protective even during attacks. This would also help to balance the new skill requirement.
Yes, I have always hoped for this. Of course they shouldn't be quite as protective, but protective nonetheless.

Perhaps remain protective all the time, even when just carried ? Would work great without the force-field.

But at least during attacks, or chamber positions like this :
Styrbjorn.jpg

Skandinav said:
ares007 said:
Shields should also remain protective even during attacks. This would also help to balance the new skill requirement.
Yes, I have always hoped for this. Of course they shouldn't be quite as protective, but protective nonetheless.

Perhaps remain protective all the time, even when just carried ? Would work great without the force-field.

But at least during attacks, or chamber positions like this :
Styrbjorn.jpg

That is awesome, if they could get that working it would be great.

Back
Top Bottom