[Suggestion]percentages for melee and ranged ff should be set separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Berserker Pride

Grandmaster Knight
Right now the percentage of damage that melee ff and ranged ff incurs has to be the same for each.  You can turn either of them off but you can't set the percentage of ranged ff higher than melee ff for example.  This is an issue because most would agree that it is easier to control avoiding hitting a target with an arrow than it is to control an 180 degree swing.  Most people have no problem with ranged ff being at 100%.  It makes sense it is a projectile and can't be taken back.  But a sword is something in your hand and can be controlled.  Hence why melee ff could realistically be set at 50% or below.

Also even people like myself who think that melee ff does nothing good for the game would prefer a 1% damage to ally for melee ff in place of none at all.  This basically creates a stun effect which encourages you not to strike your ally when he is in the middle of a fight without allowing allies to teamkill each other all the time.  But ranged at 1% encourages all of a team's archers to fire indiscriminately into every melee fight which is not a good situation.

These are the server options for ff right now.
Allow Ranged FF Yes/No
Allow Melee FF Yes/No
Damage % Self: 0-100
Damage % Friend: 0-100

It should be changed to look like this so each can be individually set.
Allow Ranged FF Yes/No

Allow Melee FF Yes/No

Bump! This still needs to happen.  I would love to see a server with 1% melee ff and 100% ranged ff.  Most people are unsatisfied with melee attacks having no effect on teammates(including myself).  This would create a cool stun effect that still encourages you to not hit your ally without allowing direct griefing or tking.  Such a mode should replace no ff as the default.  Although I wouldn't freak out at 25% melee ff either as that would be quite low damage to allies.

Also the hit detection on your blade bouncing off allies with melee ff completely off seems dodgy.  It seems to detect hits more accurately using the melee ff hit detection.

Seems this might already in. When mousing over the .700 servers in the list, the little window that pops up (with a ridiculously small font size :sad:) had entries for ranged + melee FF enabled, and entries for ranged + melee damage percentage, unless I'm mistaken.

Personally speaking I'd rather see servers with something like 25 or 50 percent melee damage; a bit less dangerous to account for it probably being unintentional, which would mean a less effective attack.

Probably my ideal solution would also include the mechanic where hits towards the extremities of the animation deal reducing amounts of damage, likely tending to less than the minimum required to stun the target at the very start; In other words the "swing sweet spot" idea. Yes, I really like it... and will probably keep restating it in relevant threads until there is some sort of official reply.

Awesome! I'll load up Warband and check it out!  Hopefully the admins and players won't mind setting the completely non-melee ff servers to 1%.  I think it balances the game better by punishing players who spam attack in groups too much without punishing them so much that all melee teamwork is dead.  I swear every time I hear someone complain about a zerg rush.  It's not a zerg rush moron; its a crappy formation.  Near as I can tell people actually fought in tight groups back in the day.(Also zerg rush indicates swarming with twice as many cheap units to overwhelm with numbers but I digress...)

EDIT:I checked the list it doesn't seem any different.  Only an admin could be sure though but it never mentioned separate % values for the melee ff and ranged ff.

You're right... sorry. I looked again now that there are more servers (some now show in a larger font), and I was misreading "Friendly fire damage self" and "Friendly fire damage friend" as ranged and melee FF...

Back
Top Bottom