[Suggestion] New idea for stamina howto

Users who are viewing this thread

PsykoOps

Master Knight
Instead of stamina bars etc. how bout a recovery time penalty that increases if you keep the action up. Like an archer who shoots continously after for example 10 arrows the stamina starts to kick in and the reloading time starts to increase in small increments. No need for stamina bars or such. That would be a realistic approach I think.

[Edit to add] This would of course apply to all stamina draining actions, jumping continously, spamming with a weapon etc.

Hmm. Not bad. The mechanic shouldn't kick in too soon though, only when someone is really badly spamming something. This might work well, and I think it's worth testing at least.

I think this could be good, but realistically, it would take to long for it to kick in with archers, and people swinging a axe etc. etc. (but if they were spamming it i think it would work well) also would this effect horses? I for one think it shouldn't, because the time that is in each round, would not be enough time for a horse to wear out to the point where you could tell, same goes for archers and the like (except for spammers).

I think this would actually work REALLY well in the tactical battle mode, i think the guys who have done it (tactical battle) have asked for a time limit of about ten minutes, so this would work even better there.

The thing that I wanted to address is spamming of course. I for one have fired all 90 arrows in a rapid machine gun fashion and it is completely ridicilous. I wouldn't penalize the accuracy but after continously firing the loading time should start to increase. A 2h spam would also be effect of course, but I don't think horses should. There isn't enough time in matches for horses to start to get tired enough. One very important aspect and advantage of cavalry in the history was the fact that the rider didn't get tired. Where an infantry charge may need to halt for a second or two for the soldiers to catch breath cavalry can just keep on going. This aspect would be great to have in game but the battlefields and fights are too small scale.

Make it all work similarly to sprinting-  no player input, it just happens.

for example a horse charging full pelt will gradualy get slower untill it has paused for a rest for a second or two -  swinging wildly will cause your attacks to be a little bit slower untill you stop for just a second.  all subtle (but noticable) changes with no player input and no bars on the screen.

Yeah that was the idea. About horses though in warband the action doesn't last long enough for horses to tire at least most of the time. That alone would make it unnecessary to add it to them. Human soldiers however do tire and actually do tire very fast if they keep a major action going on for long enough. Such as firing a powerfull bow when you have to use huge amounts of strenght to draw or wielding a heavy weapon. Also this might give a little drawback to heavy hammers and 2 handers which would be welcome.

Kapt Torbjorn said:
Please, no stamina.

well, any reasons?

tbh all stanima suggestions other than this one have sucked, they tend to be very gamey and put meaningless restrictions on things-  this one works in a way that encourages the player to time their moves for full effectivness rather than spamming actions-  yet it does not effect long-term play in any way whatsoever.

PsykoOps said:
Instead of stamina bars etc. how bout a recovery time penalty that increases if you keep the action up. Like an archer who shoots continously after for example 10 arrows the stamina starts to kick in and the reloading time starts to increase in small increments. No need for stamina bars or such. That would be a realistic approach I think.

[Edit to add] This would of course apply to all stamina draining actions, jumping continously, spamming with a weapon etc.

Isn't that just like a stamina bar except that it lasts the entire match, get progressively worse the more you use it, and you can't see it?

No, of course if you stop even for a moment it would regenerate quite fast. Also I forgot to mention that I don't think blocking should be affected at all by this.

Back
Top Bottom