[Suggestion] Nerf the great lance.

Users who are viewing this thread

The great lance is very over powered, it can almost outreach a pike but can outreach any other lance. You do not need any skills to use it, you can just start your thrust from 2-4  meters away and hit with the courser. It doesn't bounce off if the two horsemen are really close to eachother.

Suggestions:
Remove thrusting and make it a couch only lance
Make it slower ( I know it is slow)
Or reduce the damage and increase the bounce off length (If possible)

Sorry if there have been many "Nerf the great lance" Threads

Titanshoe said:
Which would make it essentially useless. I'm all in for removing thrust for all lances though. Would call in for some rebalancing of cavalry, but still
Titanshoe said:
Make it slower ( I know it is slow)
Making it slower will just mean more speed bonus and with the current timing required it would essentially be couched the whole time but with 200 degree arc.

I agree remove the thrusting from it.  It moves slow you don't even see it hit you you just kinda arbitrarily die from the thing slowly trying to push into you.  It wouldn't be useless as a purely couching weapon you would simply have to *shocker* switch to your sword from time to time.  OH NOES not teh sword!
Maybe reduce the price a little if it was couch only.

Seeing as cav is already practically useless against anyone paying the slightest bit of attention, nerfing lancethrust would pretty much eliminate cav as a viable choice for anyone not running a Khergit horse archer.

The great lance is pretty good, yeah, but its incredibly slow speed puts a much lower effective limit on the number of thrusts you can do in a given period of time. That means sacrificing frequency of kills for ease of kills.

Plus, it's not like a great lance user is invulnerable to things like organization, archers, infantry who downblock and cav who hit from the blindside.

I'm not really sure but historically, i don't think it was that easy to thrust these great jousting lances. The only way jousting knights could attack with it was to gain some speed and then couch it, because it was so heavy. They might have also had it 'sticked' to their arms somehow because of the weight and length. I might be wrong though...

Agreed, great lances are insanely long and equally annoying, even more-so if the user knows how to control range.
It is easy to outreach a infantry wielding a ashwood pike, and possibly catch off the standard pike users, plus it dominates any other lancers due to it's length and op-ness.
Problems are that it is easy to connect the thrust, in that you have 1-2 for the lance to touch someone, along with the fact that it only takes another second to ready that beast again pointed to another person.

NOOOO. A great lance is incredibly slow, so stabbing with it against a pikeman will result in you missing and then being an awkward sort of target. That counts for both on horse and on foot. Also; a great lance is more expensive than a regular lance, and seeing as the damage doesn't much matter when using it to couch, there has to be another way to compensate for the price and slowness, which is the range.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
The greatlance sucks, a good cavalryman almost always takes the Heavy Lance instead.
What?! Only time I've got killed by another cavalryman while I'm using lance is either backstab or that he was using great lance as well. Timing is easy as hell and the 50 reach makes a huge difference. And because it's so slow fighting other horsemen is damn easy because you start the stab and then begin to close in. The gap to hit is long and my lance is so much longer so he can either block, turn away or get hit.

Great lance is not the best when backstabbing, but if the target is aware great lance is the optimum choice.

Unless they overestimate the length of the thing, miss their stab or are blocked. In that case a faster lance is preferred. Hence why I don't particularily mind going cavalry against Swadian Cav.  :razz:

Stabbing Hobo said:
CtrlAltDe1337 said:
The greatlance sucks, a good cavalryman almost always takes the Heavy Lance instead.
What?! Only time I've got killed by another cavalryman while I'm using lance is either backstab or that he was using great lance as well. Timing is easy as hell and the 50 reach makes a huge difference. And because it's so slow fighting other horsemen is damn easy because you start the stab and then begin to close in. The gap to hit is long and my lance is so much longer so he can either block, turn away or get hit.

Great lance is not the best when backstabbing, but if the target is aware great lance is the optimum choice.
All you have to do is dodge the strike then move in and stab the great lance user.  Or use a sword.  The reload time is very slow, and once you get close he can't hurt you with it.  What often also happens is that the great lance user misjudges the timing and thrusts too late. 

Plus, it is less powerful than the other lances, and MUCH slower, meaning that it sucks against infantry (except ones with very long weapons, then it is useful).  There is no reason to nerf it.

I agree that a nerf is needed. You guys must be forgetting about the matches with billions, yes billions, of great lance/courser riders. On a random plain: no competition. None.

In theory, the great lance doesn't seem all that great. It's slow, cumbersome. But it's so flipping long man. There's no reason I should be able to maintain a 10+ k/d ratio on Deathmatch, even if it is Deathmatch, while using it. I refuse to use the thing, it's so cheap. That is, unless I'm clearly going to get wrecked on the nK server or something. But then, it's just the opposite, you've seen what I've done with it. (Or probably not, I've used it maybe twice). The thing needs to go.

Couch-only makes sense to me. People can/would pack two lances, I see no problems with this.

Deafening said:
I agree that a nerf is needed. You guys must be forgetting about the matches with billions, yes billions, of great lance/courser riders. On a random plain: no competition. None.

In theory, the great lance doesn't seem all that great. It's slow, cumbersome. But it's so flipping long man. There's no reason I should be able to maintain a 10+ k/d ratio on Deathmatch, even if it is Deathmatch, while using it. I refuse to use the thing, it's so cheap. That is, unless I'm clearly going to get wrecked on the nK server or something. But then, it's just the opposite, you've seen what I've done with it. (Or probably not, I've used it maybe twice). The thing needs to go.

Couch-only makes sense to me. People can/would pack two lances, I see no problems with this.
It's not just the great lance in that case, same goes for all lances. If they're going to remove thrusting from great lances they ought to remove it from other lances as well. I certainly wouldn't mind.

Stabbing Hobo said:
Titanshoe said:
Which would make it essentially useless. I'm all in for removing thrust for all lances though. Would call in for some rebalancing of cavalry, but still
Not at all, I made it couch-only once, and it was still very effective.

I think they should fix speed bonuses rather than just nerf the great lance. The great lance actually HAS more reach than the pike (two-handed pike animations give less reach :/) and any horseman on a courser can hit 50 degrees left or right of him with the same speed damage bonus as when hitting an enemy that's straight in front of him.

Back
Top Bottom