[Suggestion] Logging and statistics

Users who are viewing this thread

PsykoOps

Master Knight
I noticed something peculiar, I was in duel server with the option 'show kills' or whatever it is called turned off. Then someone sneaked behind me and killed me. I hit the L-key to see it from the logs and it wasn't there. I suggest that even if the option to turn the kills off is used the logs should still show them. Also logs should be as an option be saved on your HD for later references.
Also I'm not sure if anyone has asked but will the final product have any client side statistics system? Kills/Deaths/shots etc.?

Wolfang said:
I would like a statistics system like they have on steam for many games

player stats need to be done carefully.

Games like Team Fortress 2 do it very well, keeping things competetive and giving the player clear pointers on where he is good and bad,  but it all happens with gameplay rather than having the player hunting statistics.

Games like Quake Live do it very badly,  players allways strive for a perfect win/loss and kill/death ratio-  ragequitting and killstealing to attain a good score, teamwork goes out of the window when there is an oportunity to get some points.

I made a program that builds statistics from my server's log files. Well it's still not so accurate (it counts for kills and not kill/death ratio) and i still need to work on it...but i hope it's a good point to start from.

What do you have to type in to see your stats?
And make it so that if you type it everyone can see your stats =P, no other way to show off your skillz.

Wolfang said:
I would like a statistics system like they have on steam for many games
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hate it if games track down whatever I do. If you want to make a good impression (what every mildly competitive person wants), you have to play concentrated and competitively all the time. I want to have fungames too, you know, attacking people naked with no more than a mace. I'm not competitive enough to care for victories all the time, but I'm too competitive to have my stats recorded when I'm not playing seriously. It makes players use less honourable tactics to get good kill:death ratios too. If you really want to ban one on one combat from the game, add statistics...

kingofnoobia said:
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hate it if games track down whatever I do. If you want to make a good impression (what every mildly competitive person wants), you have to play concentrated and competitively all the time. I want to have fungames too, you know, attacking people naked with no more than a mace. I'm not competitive enough to care for victories all the time, but I'm too competitive to have my stats recorded when I'm not playing seriously. It makes players use less honourable tactics to get good kill:death ratios too. If you really want to ban one on one combat from the game, add statistics...
Well said. Fully agree.

Wolfang said:
No k/d ratio then, just a Kill counter? =P
But what would be the point of that? It doesn't say anything about skill. Not that k/d is a near decent representation of that either, but at least it's independent of time played.

I'm thinking client side logging and only online comparing if you choose to do so? I didn't intent some kind of complicated system that uploads statistics somewhere. I'd love a client side option to see how many shots, how many misses and how many headshots etc.

This is something we want to avoid: http://www.age-of-chivalry.com/smf/index.php?topic=8049.0

I was testing my connection by clicking a random bookmark, and my eye fell on that thread. I hope many of you will reconsider after reading this thread, stuff like this is bound to show up on our forum as well...

PsykoOps said:
Yeah I never liked that kind of stuff. Some players might thought and I wouldn't stop them from doing it. I would just ignore them.

Yeah, not everyone is a gigantic moron like the guy from that thread.

Back
Top Bottom