Suggestion: Lawful executions. Proposed and voted on like policies

Users who are viewing this thread

There really should be a mechanism for lawful executions. If some rogue lord from an undead faction keeps terrorizing the countryside and murdering innocent villagers, you should be able to capture them, and then put forth a proposal to lawfully execute them for their crimes and then the kingdom can vote on it like its a policy. If the motion passes, you can then execute them without any negative relations except for the convict's clan, and you should gain honor for upholding the law.

also (if not already in), executing disgraceful lords should carry no penalty
I don't know about that. I think if there's a mechanism for lawful executions, than anything outside that mechanism should be considered unlawful. It should probably be easier to get lords to vote for the execution of dishonorable lords, but just arbitrarily executing a lord, even if he's a total scumbag, should be frowned upon.

I like the idea, but I would instead prefer having lawful executions as a policy instead of having to vote everytime I want to execute someone.

I like the idea, but I would instead prefer having lawful executions as a policy instead of having to vote everytime I want to execute someone.
How would you determine if a lord deserves to be executed? It seems like it would be very overpowered if you could vote yourself the right to execute anybody with no penalties. You could pass it as the first policy in a new kingdom with no opposition.

Personally, I think execution is a big thing and should be treated that way. I wouldn't mind having to go through a little rigamarole to be able to get rid of problem lords once and for all

There really should be a mechanism for lawful executions. If some rogue lord from an undead faction keeps terrorizing the countryside and murdering innocent villagers, you should be able to capture them, and then put forth a proposal to lawfully execute them for their crimes and then the kingdom can vote on it like its a policy. If the motion passes, you can then execute them without any negative relations except for the convict's clan, and you should gain honor for upholding the law.
Much like we have a criminal rating, that should also apply to lords? However fast the current metrics/parameters of it go from 0 to 100 but maybe if an NPC hits ~90-100; you don't get a big hit to relation to execute them? Minus their direct family/clan and maybe a small hit from associated kingdom. Mercenary clan executions should stay as a heavy negative relation hit with a wide range of lords/clans.
Likewise, have it apply to the player - you play with 9 alleys and get 100 criminal rating, should be a small% change of execution on capture. Balance on how quick it takes to get to 100 CR TBD tweaking.

How would you determine if a lord deserves to be executed? It seems like it would be very overpowered if you could vote yourself the right to execute anybody with no penalties. You could pass it as the first policy in a new kingdom with no opposition.

Personally, I think execution is a big thing and should be treated that way. I wouldn't mind having to go through a little rigamarole to be able to get rid of problem lords once and for all
You're correct as well, but a vote for every execution would be very tedious and would get old really fast. We can of course have a middle ground and have a policy where executing an enemy lord that you have -50 or lower relation or maybe executing a lord with a negative mercy and/or honor trait is considered lawful or something.

Perhaps execution with no penalties for your kingdom, while higher penalties for the executed's kingdom. Meanwhile, those clans you haven't met you don't get in a neutral kingdom have no relation penalties as well.

Personally, I think execution is a big thing and should be treated that way.

It's not a big thing though. Lords are a dime a dozen, they crawl out of the woodwork like cockroaches. Maybe executing the named faction leaders should matter, but the game throws regular Lords at you in such an insane volume that even if you execute everyone you defeat it barely changes the campaign.

If Lords didn't always respawn, and the game distinguished between executing a clan leader or just killing a mercenary captain, or even just killing the last son of an undead clan, then it would be a lot less ridiculous.

This would open things up a bit, and for the AI as well.

The Empire civil war should have " lawful " executions of " traitors ", no ?
What if Rhagaea is captured, say, by Garios, and executed ? And then Ira ? Would that not then collapse the Southern Empire cause, and her nobles would rush to the Northern or Western camps ? And the Aserai might take advantage of the chaos ......
What if Garios is captured by Lucon ? " Crucifixion ? "
" Lawful " ( in the eye of the beheader ) execution would be a great narrative disrupter, and make things interesting.

But on a different tack, it is anyway better to be feared than loved, and executions should probably not create " negative " relations in the current sense, when haughty nobles scowl at one hatefully and won't cooperate etc. A few executions here and there, " to encourage the others ", should instead build a classic " Dread General " reputation a la Genghis Khan, and Timur, et al, and prove surprisingly good at opening doors and persuading lords and getting your own way, influence, surrenders, etc

Last edited:
That would be a great thing to have.

I like this idea!

of course the reasons for different lord to vote yes or no, is where the difficulty lies. This should be based on personal reletionships, traits and status of the prisoner.

When you capture a Lord/Lady you should be allowed to negotiate a parole period with your prisoner, during which time he/she pledges not to attack your faction or join an army against it. If he/she breaks that pledge, you then could execute him/her without consequences on subsequent recapture. Ideally, this would be an additional option to current choices.

Back
Top Bottom