SP - World Map Suggestion: Horses should be fed

Users who are viewing this thread

Kallekro

Recruit
I think it's a little overpowered to be able to just have an army of horses, increasing your carrying capacity without having any negative effect. I have almost 300 horses in my army, with just 100 soldiers.
If you had to feed your animals it would be harder to maintain such a big amount of horses which I feel would be beneficial for the experience.

LeyJo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the suggestion
that being said, it would be very hard, right now you need horses just to catch up with looters in the beginning of the game, that is the moment you do not have a lot of money, there are playtroughs i really struggle with my money untill my troops are strong enough / numerous enough to take on a caravan. having to pay for the horses in upkeep/food would really make things even harder.

Simply have each horse count as one more person drawing on the food supply. The actual difference between the amount of food a horse and human eats can be explained away as grazing when you stop, just like the game ignores stopping to sleep/eat/maintenance.

Great Idea! I would also love for Herding Animals to reproduce, i really want to RP as a Bedouin Nomad/Herdsman Tribe :grin:

Doesn't having too many horses actually affect your speed rating (aka the minus stat for "herd"). It does for me.

Horses should consume food, grain would be a perfect candidate. There has already been confusion about the horse mechanic by the OP in this thread https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/some-mechanics-breaking-the-single-player.406106/ but I think the horse mechanic is awesome, I don't think we need fundamental changes to it. The only thing missing is that they consume food thereby limit how many you can reasonably field as food consumption in a big army is already very steep. And should be of course!

Horses should consume food, grain would be a perfect candidate. There has already been confusion about the horse mechanic by the OP in this thread https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/some-mechanics-breaking-the-single-player.406106/ but I think the horse mechanic is awesome, I don't think we need fundamental changes to it. The only thing missing is that they consume food thereby limit how many you can reasonably field as food consumption in a big army is already very steep. And should be of course!

Horses eat grass, its all over the place.

Aside from that, you already have to buy them to equip to your soldiers and to make good trade routes.

Considering you are moving on the map at all times of day and night, I don't think you need to worry about horse feeing time while on the move. Just think it is part of the standard cross country travel.

Yes it does and I love it, but that Modifier got gave me the Idea to become a self-sufficient Bedouin Nomad with his Tribe who grazes his Cattle (Sheep/Cows/Horses) but sadly they dont reproduce so i cant do that :grin:

Can't they just eat the grass?
It would make sense if you had to feed them in the desert, but where is grass, then no.
This would mean that you actually stop overnight to let them graze and that is not possible in winter either. :grin:
I think this should be a thing as well, especially in regard of trade caravans, at one stage I had like 60 animals, horses and livestock with me. That is not a caravan that is a migration. :grin: Either have them eat grain or barley, or let every animal (at least the pack horses) cost money daily.

Hopefully, this will be added. Otherwise, (as others have said) horses are a straight benefit with no downside.

The grazing thing could be implemented by having food costs vary based on what land you're on. So, on grassland horses would need almost no food, in the desert, they'd need the same as a soldier.

I'd also like to see camping every night make a return from Viking Conquest. I really liked all of the realism settings in that game. Grazing could be tied to that. i.e. no break, no grazing.

+1 for the basic concept of "Horses need food". In WB they were limited because of limited inventory space - in BL, they are what determines inventory space. The only limitation is whether you're able to afford to to buy them at any given time.
Getting the consumption rates and modifiers right however will probably be a challenge.
I'd like a dedicated item - horse feed - instead of them also consuming food for your army. Maybe some items could have overlap eg. Grain.

Last edited:
Horses can graze off the land they're in.
But perhaps it makes sense that you would have to feed them in snowy terrain and in the desert.

Back
Top Bottom