SP - World Map Suggestion: Horses should be fed

Users who are viewing this thread

Eh, it will only make so you have to carry more food... what does that bring to the game?

Like it was said there is already a downside for having too many, this would only be annoying.

yea sure. Try getting to the next town in a day with horses constantly grazing. Or even better try to run from a mighty army.
If another micromanagement layer has to be added, then be it, you just have to stop, make them eat, then start again, like setting up camp for the night...
I am fine with horses as they are, I am not the one who brought up the issue:smile:

Simply have each horse count as one more person drawing on the food supply. The actual difference between the amount of food a horse and human eats can be explained away as grazing when you stop, just like the game ignores stopping to sleep/eat/maintenance.
how about all the food a horse eats is grazing along the way? That way taleworlds don't have to add in more complexity in the solution and the herd functionality stays as it is

how about all the food a horse eats is grazing along the way? That way taleworlds don't have to add in more complexity in the solution and the herd functionality stays as it is

We already determined that can't work, because the horses have to move. Stopping at every meadow isn't an option.

Definitely against horses need to be fed. I'm a conqueror seeking wars and diplomacy, I don't have time to start micro-managing my horses. It will become tedious and waste time that could otherwise be invested in other, more crucial or fun parts of the game. However subjective that is, should the community for some bizarre reason desire this, they can add a 'hardmode' where you have to feed your horses and other increased difficulty ratings for people who have spare time and love to torture themselves.

Definitely against horses need to be fed. I'm a conqueror seeking wars and diplomacy, I don't have time to start micro-managing my horses. It will become tedious and waste time that could otherwise be invested in other, more crucial or fun parts of the game. However subjective that is, should the community for some bizarre reason desire this, they can add a 'hardmode' where you have to feed your horses and other increased difficulty ratings for people who have spare time and love to torture themselves.

Spare time? What are you talking about? You just need to buy more grain, that's all. You have to buy sh*tloads of it already for a big army, as it should be, but horses without any additional downsides should be fixed!

Say goobye to your food variety then.
Or do you want to feed your horses with wine, olives and grapes?

(horses are doing amazing things btw if not in deep winter or desert, its called grazing)

Horses don't need to feed on wine, it's called programming where you can execute different functions or with different parameters depending on the object which is acting.

And try grazing when you're running from a huge army. Or do you want to stop every in-game 2-3 hours to let the horses graze for 30 minutes?

Say goobye to your food variety then.
Or do you want to feed your horses with wine, olives and grapes?

(horses are doing amazing things btw if not in deep winter or desert, its called grazing)

game is very arcade already with plenty of abstract things happening around us.

So just add this to the budget: [horse feed]

No need to manually buy the food (you have a quartermaster for that).

Then conquer whole world with an army consist of reviving horse and never ending quiver?
I think sandbox mode need big map strategy rebalance instead of evenly matching every small battle

I think that having to feed them would be an elegant Solution, as it is now i have ~50 Horses (pack and normal together) after like 10-15 ingame days. Speed goes up so drastically that i can sometimes compete with the Steppe Bandits with an all-footmen Army. Sumpter Horses are waay too cheap and if you immediatly start trading and go into the Aserai territories you get Horses (the Desert ones) for 90-120 Denar in the first in-game-week. I can buy the complete Stock of an Horse-producing Village after gambling and winning once in Tablut (which is ridiculously easy btw)

And what if you don't feed the horses? They die? And what about other cavalry? They die too? I think this feature likely to cause all cavalry disappear from Calradia, or just cause the player trouble if the AIs do not have to feed their horses.

The problem of too many horses in your army is that the price of the horses is just ridiculously low. For the price of 1-2 low rank sword you can buy a average horse, and a decent horse is cheaper than mid rank armor.

And what if you don't feed the horses? They die? And what about other cavalry? They die too? I think this feature likely to cause all cavalry disappear from Calradia, or just cause the player trouble if the AIs do not have to feed their horses.

The problem of too many horses in your army is that the price of the horses is just ridiculously low. For the price of 1-2 low rank sword you can buy a average horse, and a decent horse is cheaper than mid rank armor.
if they make it so that my horses die than they should make it so that if a horse dies it provides meat for my soldiers. in history it did happen quite a lot that people killed the horses when they were starving, they only did this as a last resort though since they were both a status symbol and of strategical importance.

if they make it so that my horses die than they should make it so that if a horse dies it provides meat for my soldiers. in history it did happen quite a lot that people killed the horses when they were starving, they only did this as a last resort though since they were both a status symbol and of strategical importance.
You can kill herd for meat. I do not notice if you can do it with horses, probably not. You can ask for the feature as it can be real simply. If horses starve to death I doubt that they can provide much meat. It just make the mechanism too complicate for too little effect. Well, I personally think there should not be the horse food feature. The grass, if really needed, may be sold by camp followers who do business with the army. But it is not a life simulation game and I don't think every detail in the Medieval age should be added.

I am sorry. This can't stand. Imagine I have a party with 50 men. Chasing another party with 40 men. Only I have 200 horses in my party and they don't. We will consume roughly the same amount of food. But I will be able to easily outrun him and carry a sh*tload of loot. It just can't stand this way. This needs to be balanced. I love the sense of realism and not to forget possibilities at customization that more horses equals more speed and more room for loot, but it needs to have a downside.

Last edited:
I'd assume any horse feed is taken into account via the supply needs of cavalry. Unridden horses and pack animals are less of an issue (it's not like the baggage train needs to be in the vanguard). Having them need to be fed is rather pointless; given horses determine inventory space and you'd now be tying some of that up with oats why not simply reduce by 1 the inventory space provided and avoid some pointless book-keeping for the player? You can always just carry a few sacks of grain around if you want to play let's pretend, or just restrict yourself to a reasonable number of horses.

It's not like the food system is particularly well thought out as is. Going by the average calories consumed by my troops I should be able to win most battles by simply lining them up at the top of a hill and rolling them down towards the enemy. Of course, I'd probably need a few four horse teams to get them up the hill to begin with ....

Back
Top Bottom