Suggestion: Famous Battles/ Historical Markers

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it would be a fun feature to add to the game, taking a note from Total War, to add map markers or battle/city/village map memorials with information on the battles, casualties Dead/Wounded, Numbers brought to bear by the belligerents, and any famous or noteworthy individuals who died in the battle. Not every battle or skirmish would likely be noteworthy, but battles of victories and defeats born of overwhelming odds or sizeable battles with thousands of troops on either side could be used as a baseline to determine what the threshold criteria would need to be to qualify as a "Historic Battle".

A little anecdote. In my playthrough, my character is king of his own faction, and the Lords from the other clans determined we should go to war with the Aserai. We already owned Tamnuh Castle and Husn Fulq ( and any other surrounding castles). I was not eager for a massive war, but I had no real choice as the desire for war was unanimous.

So a grand campaign with two armies of over 1200 each pushed into Aserai Territory, the Aserai responded in kind, with their two armies almost pincered between my own near a small village. The larger group backed off and allowed me to pursue the smaller group (900+) into the village, where they had help from the local militia. What started off as clean battle lines with my troops outside of the village center and theirs taking position on the high ground of the village, resulted in an orgy of blood and death with over 570+ dead and 590+ wounded, and at least one or two nobles dead on either side.

Such a battle I think would not be just a footnote in history and should properly be recognized with markers indicating the factions, numbers, wounded/dead count, notables dead, and the result of the battle. If one wanted to add flair and flavor, they could even rip off Total War further by adding epithets like "Heroic Victory/Heroic Defeat" or something along those lines.

Even now I have had castles under siege by armies with a host of 2-3,000 enemies, only for my personal retinue of 350 (which takes losses for breaking into a castle) + whatever garrison and militia are left alive to make a stand, with epic victories coming from these siege defenses.

Please TW, do something with this idea. We need more sand in this sandbox and more RP elements!

I've also had this thought after playing huge battles. It would definitely add to the feeling that you're making history. So many little touches like this are missing.

I suppose with the frequency (or constancy) of war the map might end up littered with too many markers. But that shouldn't be something that's impossible to find a solution for.

This ^ Those kinda map markers from total war would serve as a cool reminder of the significance of a campaign without being too intrusive.
If the AI Lords are fixed to where their losses actually matter and they can't just spawn an army out of nowhere the next day, combined with this it'd make the major battles in a war feel a lot more meaningful

Could even have a couple NPCs from time to time in a town scene or wherever mention 'Heard of the battle at Pravend? Tragic..'

Good suggestion. Although they wont implement it because it "doesnt add anything to the gameplay" or some other awful reason. The reality is they are lazy and dont care about fixing the game or making it more immersive

This ^ Those kinda map markers from total war would serve as a cool reminder of the significance of a campaign without being too intrusive.
If the AI Lords are fixed to where their losses actually matter and they can't just spawn an army out of nowhere the next day, combined with this it'd make the major battles in a war feel a lot more meaningful

Could even have a couple NPCs from time to time in a town scene or wherever mention 'Heard of the battle at Pravend? Tragic..'
They mainly serve as a pool of undead warriors, at least in WH TW.

I've also had this thought after playing huge battles. It would definitely add to the feeling that you're making history. So many little touches like this are missing.

I suppose with the frequency (or constancy) of war the map might end up littered with too many markers. But that shouldn't be something that's impossible to find a solution for.
That's why I was suggesting maybe a threshold system to be met based on data from the battle. Nobles who die in combat, large scale battles, or daunting ratios that end in victory for the underdog being qualifying instances.

I like this feature in Total War too. It would be heartwarming to walk around the map and come across a monument that reminds you of a particularly memorable battle.

This thing is in my eyes a mod. The battle markers in Warhammer 2 are more for strategic reason as for an immersive gamplay(especially for the necromancers and vampires). Or you could exploit the markers as scouting markers("ah the enemy was here yesterday"). Since we have a scouting option the second strategic reason falls away and the first? Yeah vampires... At the end there will be a lot of markers on the map and I believe that every player after their third playthrough will ignore them or get frustrated that he/she actually click on the marker and a ui pop-up appeared

This thing is in my eyes a mod. The battle markers in Warhammer 2 are more for strategic reason as for an immersive gamplay(especially for the necromancers and vampires). Or you could exploit the markers as scouting markers("ah the enemy was here yesterday"). Since we have a scouting option the second strategic reason falls away and the first? Yeah vampires... At the end there will be a lot of markers on the map and I believe that every player after their third playthrough will ignore them or get frustrated that he/she actually click on the marker and a ui pop-up appeared

I was references the Rome II markers my guy.

In any case that's why I suggested thresholds so that not every single skirmish gets a marker and that the map is not littered with them.

Perhaps so and so number of soldiers + noble deaths = Historical Marker, or So and so outnumbered ratio + victory + noble deaths = historical marker, or so and so thousands upon thousands of troops in pitched battle = marker.

I never played the Warhammer variants. Could even make it a walk around map marker instead of a campaign map marker. Give some reason to walk around.

Back
Top Bottom