Suggestion: Decentralize Taleworlds

Users who are viewing this thread

JimmyCakes

Regular
Decentralize the power structure at Taleworlds into strike teams to get content out more efficiently for different areas of the game. Right now from everything I've gathered from former and current employees the development process is slow and I presume it's not because all the developers are lazy, but that the decision making is coming from 1 or 2 people at the top that don't have the time to properly care for every aspect of the game or are letting their egos run loose.

Yes this would mean relinquishing ownership of the game to a large extent, but have trust in your senior developers to get good quality content out to the players and push the game along at a faster pace.

Decentralize the power structure at Taleworlds into strike teams to get content out more efficiently for different areas of the game. Right now from everything I've gathered from former and current employees the development process is slow and I presume it's not because all the developers are lazy, but that the decision making is coming from 1 or 2 people at the top that don't have the time to properly care for every aspect of the game or are letting their egos run loose.

Yes this would mean relinquishing ownership of the game to a large extent, but have trust in your senior developers to get good quality content out to the players and push the game along at a faster pace.

TL;DR: SEIZE THE MEANS OF DEVELOPMENT ! WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR BUGS !

TL;DR: SEIZE THE MEANS OF DEVELOPMENT ! WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT OUR BUGS !
torches-and-pitchforks.jpg

DOWN WITH THE CORPORATES, UP WITH THE DEVS!
While we rally round Mexxico, boys, we rally once again,
Shouting the battle cry of more indepth features!

FfE0Doi.png

Last edited:

The problem is that the studio is full of inexperienced developers, a lot of them straight from the university 100m down the road from the Taleworlds offices. Most companies nowadays are awash with interns who are to put it bluntly easier to exploit, but Taleworlds is even more so, from what I've heard.

If it was as easy as just decentralising the company they would have done it already. There is no easy solution to a company as thoroughly broken as Taleworlds, just as there is no easy solution to political corruption or economic collapse.

Also remember that they are most probably working from home. That adds a bit to the decentralization, and taking longer to get things done.

The problem is that the studio is full of inexperienced developers, a lot of them straight from the university 100m down the road from the Taleworlds offices. Most companies nowadays are awash with interns who are to put it bluntly easier to exploit, but Taleworlds is even more so, from what I've heard.

If it was as easy as just decentralising the company they would have done it already. There is no easy solution to a company as thoroughly broken as Taleworlds, just as there is no easy solution to political corruption or economic collapse.
giphy.gif

Lol GL.

To what I've seen the opinions and views of many employees there are what the community are looking for... but it is the top stopping the potential it appears. But, what can you do? Nothing really, decentralisation will only happen if the top want it, which is apparent it is the opposite. Only other option would be a buy-out of the company, which is highly unlikely. So yeh...

I understand that every professional that gets out of a university needs some experience to become good at it's job, but I don't think the interns are the ones to blame for slow development, I understand they may make more mistakes than a senior developer but they studied for it, so it's not like interns are just dumb people that don't know how to do ****. Given the evidence we have on how many things they have changed over and over, how many features they made and took out and how many good features were not included in exchange of """"""simplicity"""""" the fault is clearly on the leads and the management. I mean, look at how many modders can achieve so much with so little, why an intern that studied at a university and got prepared for it wouldn't be able to do such things, I think the answer is clear: they lack direction. SEIZE TW.

I understand that every professional that gets out of a university needs some experience to become good at it's job, but I don't think the interns are the ones to blame for slow development, I understand they may make more mistakes than a senior developer but they studied for it, so it's not like interns are just dumb people that don't know how to do ****.

I'm not blaming them as people, this is still the fault of the lead developers, but generally interns have no business doing the bulk of work on something as complicated as bannerlord. The problem is compounded by total lack of communication and "undocumented code base" as one employee review puts it.
In contrast Bethesda does the same thing by hiring with extremely low requirements, but the difference is they use tools which are piss easy to use and completely modular, so someone with no experience or oversight can put together scenes and quests on their own. If you've ever wondered why the writing in every Bethesda game since morrowind has been so bad, it's because the quests are written by random developers.

I just don't understand why a simple modder could made a essential feature to the game, almost in day one,control your parties, and the TW staff didn't implement that feature in the game. Parties are a main game feature, but in present stage is a headache, absolutely a game breaker, actually is a waste of money, prestige and a source of problems. As that mod isn't compatible with the new patch I'm trying to play the game without it, but isn't the same, in the initial stages it's OK, but in mid game I can't do half the things I use to do, in last patch I created a kingdom and even before get nobles to my side I had enough troops to resist the constant wars.
I know that TW have that feature in sight, but it must be signed by the CEO or maybe the Turkish parliament, I don't know, same simple things takes to many time to be implemented.

I just don't understand why a simple modder could made a essential feature to the game, almost in day one,control your parties, and the TW staff didn't implement that feature in the game. Parties are a main game feature, but in present stage is a headache, absolutely a game breaker, actually is a waste of money, prestige and a source of problems. As that mod isn't compatible with the new patch I'm trying to play the game without it, but isn't the same, in the initial stages it's OK, but in mid game I can't do half the things I use to do, in last patch I created a kingdom and even before get nobles to my side I had enough troops to resist the constant wars.
I know that TW have that feature in sight, but it must be signed by the CEO or maybe the Turkish parliament, I don't know, same simple things takes to many time to be implemented.
I would guess that a simple modder was able to add it almost on day one because he didn't develop it from scratch but used code that was already implemented by Taleworlds. So the question is, why didn't TW make the feature available yet?

There are probably several reasons like priorities, QA, conflicts with other features which need to be fixed, maybe some additional tweaks, unintended side effects, relying on other features which aren't ready yet, etc. A modder never needs to bother how the rest of the game is affected by his changes, it's completely optional after all. Developers like mexxico on the other hand spend dozens of hours to simulate and analyse snowballing. Sometimes a small seemingly unrelated change completely changes the balance of the game. Not everyone needs to bother about this and lots of people who only play a game for 100 hours are probably not even going to notice it.

The good news is that orders for clans are probably going to be implemented soon™.

A modder never needs to bother how the rest of the game is affected by his changes, it's completely optional after all.

You're saying this like the game is balanced.

Also most mods genuinely don't impact anything else, for example there was a mod in the first few days of the games release that gave different banner colours beyond the 4 that the game let you have. If taleworlds wanted there to be a colour selection menu they would have done it themselves, but the ridiculously limited number of colours was actually a deliberate design decision.

You're saying this like the game is balanced.

Also most mods genuinely don't impact anything else, for example there was a mod in the first few days of the games release that gave different banner colours beyond the 4 that the game let you have. If taleworlds wanted there to be a colour selection menu they would have done it themselves, but the ridiculously limited number of colours was actually a deliberate design decision.

"Here we thought we could add a color wheel so the player chooses what colour his banner is an..."
- "Wow stop right here, what do you mean letting the player choose what colors he wants for his banner ? What the hell is wrong with you ? He'll have 5 colors, not one more."
- "But.. Sir, why wou.."
-"No 'but', go back to work and stop bothering me with your non-sense. Remember, five, not one more !"

this is a parody, maybe, I don't know how they work and actually don't care

Last edited:
I would guess that a simple modder was able to add it almost on day one because he didn't develop it from scratch but used code that was already implemented by Taleworlds. So the question is, why didn't TW make the feature available yet?

There are probably several reasons like priorities, QA, conflicts with other features which need to be fixed, maybe some additional tweaks, unintended side effects, relying on other features which aren't ready yet, etc. A modder never needs to bother how the rest of the game is affected by his changes, it's completely optional after all. Developers like mexxico on the other hand spend dozens of hours to simulate and analyse snowballing. Sometimes a small seemingly unrelated change completely changes the balance of the game. Not everyone needs to bother about this and lots of people who only play a game for 100 hours are probably not even going to notice it.

The good news is that orders for clans are probably going to be implemented soon™.
That's why we are beta testing a Early access,but they have to put the features in game to be tested, and ten months have passed since the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom