[Suggestion] Critiquing Factions to Improve Mount&Blade: Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Instag0

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Note: I wrote this for a technical writing class for my university- that's why it's formatted the way it is. Also, this was written with an older version in mind. And it's very half-assedly formatted for the boards. Enjoy. :razz:

Title
Critiquing Factions to Improve Mount&Blade: Warband

The Games
Mount&Blade
Mount&Blade, released last year by the Turkish developer Taleworlds, is an open-ended action role-playing game set in a fictional medieval time period. It is entirely single-player. Players are put in the role of a party leader who controls not only the soldiers on the battlefield, but hiring and training troops, buying and selling goods, joining factions, and managing villages.

Five factions are featured in the game: the western-European Vaegirs with archers, and heavy infantry and cavalry; the eastern-European themed Swadians with crossbowmen and heavy infantry and cavalry; the Viking-themed Nords with infantry and hybrid infantry/ bowmen; the Rhodocks with heavy spearmen and crossbowmen; and the Khergits who act as a Mongolian faction with horse archers, lancers, and no foot soldiers. The game features two distinct viewpoints: one of the player’s party moving across a world map and another of the player in third or first person running around castle, town, and battlefield scenes.

Mount&Blade: Warband
Even before the retail release of Mount&Blade, players have been speculating over and asking for a multiplayer addon. Announced earlier this year, TaleWorlds revealed it. Mount&Blade: Warband (“Warband”) will provide gamers with a multiplayer experience based solely off of the first/ third person battleground aspect of its prequel.

Warband features all of its sequel’s factions pitted against each other in five primary game types: siege, where one assaulting faction must capture and hold a flag within the defender’s castle; battle, where two factions battle on a timer and players may not respawn, and the victor is that of the team last standing; team deathmatch, where two teams compete for the most points scored by slaying enemy teammates; deathmatch, where players may choose between one of two factions but fight alone, competing for points by defeating other players; conquer, where two factions fight to capture and hold several static flags which accumulate points—the team with the most points wins; capture-the-flag, where teams struggle to take the enemy’s flag from their base and place it in theirs for points.

The Paper
Purpose
Having been accepted into Warband’s beta testing, and under no non-disclosure agreement, I plan to focus my critique on the game’s factions. I will also make suggestions with these criticisms in mind, both the latter and former done to provide for a better player experience.

Audience
The audience of this paper will be composed of the game’s developers and beta testers who are familiar with both Warband and the original game. For example, readers should be familiar with the 4-direction attack and blocking system, 4-slot armor system, and 4-slot weapon/shield system. The purpose of including the beta testers in the audience is that they may discuss the points in the paper. Reading through this discourse, the developers will find the most logical and coherent arguments for and against certain changes which they will implement into the game.

Organization

Introduction:
The Games:
Mount&Blade: Single player, medieval action RPG.
Warband: Multiplayer version of prequel.
The Paper:
Purpose: Critique Warband to improve players’ experience.
Audience: Beta testers & developers familiar with both Mount&Blade and Warband.

Body of Paper:
Class Overview & Critique, and Gameplay Style & Critique
Khergits
Nords
Swadians
Vaegirs
Rhodocks
Conclusion

Class Overview & Critique, and Gameplay Style & Critique

Khergits
Class Overview
a. Horse Archer
i. Weapon Type
1. Bow
2. One-handed Sword
ii. Armor Type
1. Medium
2. Medium Shield
iii. Horse Type
1. Light
b. Heavy Cavalry
i. Weapon Type
1. Lance
2. One-handed Sword
3. Throwing
ii. Armor Type
1. Heavy
2. Medium Shield
iii. Horse Type
1. Heavy

Class Critique
Horse Archer
It is especially tough for Khergit players to hit moving targets while galloping around on their horses. This forces them to stop their mount and take aim. However, stopping negates their only advantage to other ranged classes: mobility. Furthermore, this mounted-only class performs especially poorly in areas which impede mobility or provide cover for enemy troops from arrows. Castles, woodlands, and mountains are all examples of these areas.

Lastly, horse archers are severely disadvantaged without their horse. Since the Khergits do not have any dedicated foot soldiers and only have two classes, this severely impacts the ability of the faction to perform well either when players are dismounted in combat or when players are choosing to play without a horse.

Heavy Cavalry
Players who choose to play the role of heavy cavalry typically do about average compared to other mounted classes. They can complete objectives and score points without being either especially advantaged or disadvantaged. However, since Khergits only have two classes both of which are mounted, there should be an inherent advantage to playing Khergit heavy cavalry. This would balance out their faction that does not have a third class.

Heavy cavalry players also share the disadvantages of horse archers: poor performance in areas with cover and poor performance while dismounted. To offset this, the class should perform better while dismounted and mounted.

Gameplay Style
Without any dedicated footmen, Khergits fight best in open areas because they can take full advantage of their horses’ maneuverability. Their lancers charge enemies head-on while horse archers keep their targets at range.

On the other hand, on any levels where their mobility is impeded or cover is provided, their ability to win is severely hampered. Both horse archers and heavy cavalry cannot land attacks. This is especially prevalent on siege maps where players are expected to fight on the walls and inside the courtyard. Both of these areas are too confined for mounted units to be successful. Since Khergits also perform poorly dismounted, they are at an inherent disadvantage on these types of levels.

Gameplay Critique
With only two classes, both mounted, the Khergits should perform especially well. However, they do poorly except when geography favors them.

Furthermore, given all other factions have dedicated dismounted and mounted units summing to three classes, Khergits should have one of two improvements. They should either receive a dedicated foot troop with access to bows, melee weapons, and shields or they should receive boosts which make their mounted units play well even while dismounted.

Nords

Class Overview
a. Archer
i. Weapon Type
1. Bow
2. One-handed Sword
3. Two-handed Axe
ii. Armor Type
1. Medium Armor
b. Light Cavalry
i. Weapon Type
1. Lance
2. One-handed Sword
3. Throwing
ii. Armor Type
1. Light
iii. Horse Type
1. Light
c. Heavy Infantry
i. Weapon Type
1. One-handed Sword
2. One-handed Axe
3. Two-handed Axe
4. Throwing
ii. Armor Type
1. Heavy
2. Heavy Shield

Class Critique
Archer
This class performs on par with other ranged foot troops. Archers are only mildly advantaged in melee because of their access to two-handed axes.

Light Cavalry
Nord cavalry leaves much to be desired. They have no access to heavy horses or long lances like Swadian or Vaegir cavalry. However, this would balance out if Nord’s heavy infantry is especially powerful like in the previous game.

Heavy Infantry
Even though Nord heavy infantry have access to the best shield-breaking weapons in the game, this doesn’t especially improve their abilities on the battlefield. Their axes are slower than Swadian infantry’s swords, their shields cover less area than Rhodock infantry, and their throwing axes aren’t especially powerful. They are just marginally better.

This class, unlike all other infantry, lacks spears or pikes to counter enemy cavalry. This further hinders its overall effectiveness.

Gameplay Style
Nords rely on their infantry and archers to win games. While archers provide support by taking down stragglers and enemy horses, infantry engage in melee and light cavalry chase other mounted units. Nord infantry does about average compared to all other infantry units except for those of Swadia. Swadian infantry’s fast two-handed swords often give them the edge over all other infantry in melee.

Gameplay Critique
None of the Nord units are especially powerful but their infantry should. In the original game, Nord infantry could easily compete with enemy infantry and cavalry, and endure through volleys of arrows to take out bowmen. Yet in Warband they have no inherent strengths against any units. In fact, the faction as a whole is underpowered compared to Swadia and Vaegirs who both have strong infantry, cavalry, and ranged units.

To keep consistent with the previous game, Nords should have stronger infantry compared to other units. Since Swadian infantry is overly strong when it should not be, they should be made less effective so that Nord infantry shines out above the rest. Swadian two-handed swords should be slowed so and their damage lessened.

Swadians

Class Overview
a. Crossbowman
i. Weapon Type
1. Crossbow
2. One-handed Sword
ii. Armor Type
1. Medium
2. Medium Shield
b. Heavy Cavalry
i. Weapon Type
1. One-handed Sword
2. Two-handed Sword
3. Lance
ii. Armor Type
1. Heavy
2. Heavy Shield
iii. Horse Type
1. Heavy
c. Heavy Infantry
i. Weapon Type
1. One-handed Sword
2. Bastard Sword
3. Two-handed Sword
4. Pike
5. One-handed Mace
6. Throwing
ii. Armor Type
1. Heavy
2. Heavy Shield

Class Critique
Crossbowman
Swadian crossbowmen have no inherent strengths or weaknesses on the battlefield. The slow firing speed of their crossbows is offset by their shields. In addition, they are not strong in close combat.

Heavy Cavalry
Swadian cavalry vie for the best cavalry in the game with Vaegirs. They come out on top because of their longer lances which enable them to hit lance enemies earlier than any other mounted units. They also have access to the fast hand-and-a-half and one-handed swords that infantry do. This enables them to both survive and attack aggressively when dismounted better than all other mounted units.

Heavy Infantry
Although these troops do not have any advantages in shield size or throwing weapons, they come out ahead because of the aforementioned fast weapons. Their fast, high damage swords cut through all other soldiers. In addition to this their extremely long pikes protect them from cavalry.

Gameplay Style
With the most powerful infantry and cavalry in the game, Swadians have no trouble with any combination of tactics on any map.

Gameplay Critique
For balance to be achieved between factions, Swadians need to have their greatest advantage nullified. Their two-handed and hand-and-a-half swords need to be slower. This single change would improve the performance of all other factions in relation to Swadia.

Vaegirs

Class Overview
a. Archer
i. Weapon Type
1. Bow
2. One-handed Axe
3. One-handed Sword
ii. Armor Type
1. Light
b. Heavy Cavalry
i. Weapon Type
1. One-handed Sword
2. Two-handed Axe
3. Lance
ii. Armor Type
1. Heavy
2. Heavy Shield
iii. Horse Type
1. Heavy
c. Heavy Infantry
i. Weapon Type
1. One-handed Sword
2. One-handed Spear
3. Two-handed Axe
4. Throwing
ii. Armor Type
1. Heavy
2. Heavy Shield

Class Critique
Archer
Vaegir archers compete well against all other ranged infantry. Although they do not have two handed axes like Nord archers, their stronger cavalry balances this discrepancy.

Heavy Cavalry
This unit exists alongside Swadian cavalry as the only heavy cavalry in the game. Their lances are shorter than those of Swadia and their weapons are slower.

Heavy Infantry
Vaegir infantry have no advantages here. Their weapons are not overly fast and they don’t have especially good protection versus cavalry by having pikes.

Gameplay Style
Like Swadia, Vaegirs do not need to use any particular tactic to excel on the battlefield. In general, their archers counter other ranged units while targeting horses and infantry. Heavy cavalry charge foot soldiers and chase enemy cavalry. Finally, their infantry protect their archers or objectives on the maps, and engage in melee with enemy dismounted units. They’re also able to protect themselves from enemy cavalry since they have access to spears.

Gameplay Critique
Vaegirs are the games best balanced faction. Their strength is their cavalry, while their archers and foot soldiers perform about average.

Rhodocks

Class Overview
a. Crossbowman
i. Weapon Type
1. Crossbow
2. One-handed Mace
3. Two-handed Mace
4. One-handed Pick
ii. Armor Type
1. Medium
2. Heavy Shield
b. Light Cavalry
i. Weapon Type
1. One-handed Sword
2. Lance
3. Throwing
ii. Armor Type
1. Medium
iii. Horse Type
1. Light
c. Heavy Infantry
i. Weapon Type
1. One-handed Pick
2. One-handed Spear
3. Two-handed Spear
4. One/Two-handed Glaive
5. Pike
6. One-handed Mace
7. Two-handed Mace
ii. Armor Type
1. Heavy
2. Heavy Shield

Class Critique
Crossbowman
Rhodock crossbowmen have no exemplary features. Their crossbow’s accuracy makes up for their poor firing rate, and their shields do not provide them too much protection. They are still vulnerable to infantry and cavalry in close quarters like all other ranged foot troops.

Light Cavalry
This class is analogous to the Nord’s light cavalry: it is nothing special but it allows the faction the ability to chase down enemy cavalry and quickly close in on archers and crossbowmen. It fulfills its role while not providing too much of a bonus to the faction.

Heavy Infantry
With two other average classes, one would expect that the third would be more powerful. However, like the Nords, the Rhodocks do not have an especially powerful infantry unit when they should. Swadians and Vaegirs both have heavy cavalry while Rhodocks (and Nords) do not. The main reason Rhodock infantry falls behind is because of the especially slow speed of their main melee weapon. While maces do provide bludgeoning damage that negates armor, they are far to slow to hit an enemy before they are able to parry or move out of the way. Increasing the speed of their maces would greatly improve their combat abilities in melee.

Furthermore, in the previous game, Rhodock infantry was proficient at taking down enemy cavalry with their glaives. However, in the current state of the game, their glaives are no better at defeating cavalry than the pikes or spears found in other factions. This is because their glaives are too short to be able to reach enemy cavalry at a safe distance. To improve this, the length of their glaives should be increased.

Gameplay Style
This faction does best while taking a defensive stance. To win Rhodocks need to take advantage of level geography. At its best, this will ensnare and disrupt mounted units and provide cover from enemy ranged weapons. Otherwise, Rhodocks must rely on traditional tactics: crossbowmen and cavalry in a supporting role while infantry do the bulk of the fighting.

Gameplay Critique
Rhodocks should not have to rely specifically on defensive tactics. They should be able to compete offensively as well. With the previously mentioned changes, they will be able to.

Conclusion
In the current version of the beta, there is only one especially disadvantaged faction. Khergits have only two classes to choose from, both of which do not perform especially well. They are unable to compete with other factions in close quarters and the have no advantages unique to their own faction like the heavy cavalry and long lances of Swadia.

In the case of Swadia, only Vaegirs can compete with them on equal grounds. Both factions are strongest in their cavalry. Still, Swadia comes out on top because of their superior weaponry which is faster and can reach further than that of any other faction. Even so, Rhodocks and Nords can put up a decent fight. While they are both disadvantaged in cavalry and do not have especially strong infantry, they can hold their own, but that does not mean nothing should be done.

Without any changes to the current factions, Swadians are the most powerful all around. Behind them are Vaegirs, then Nords & Rhodocks, and finally Khergits. To balance this disparity in strength amongst the factions, changes need to be made accordingly. Khergits need a third unit or improvements to their equipment. Swadians need their swords slowed. Rhodocks and Nords need their infantry improved. With all of this done, all factions should be on equal footing with Vaegirs who are currently the ideal faction: two average units followed by a third stronger one.

If balance between factions is achieved, all players will benefit. Defeat and victory will come from abilities of the players themselves rather than inherent advantages or disadvantages of the faction they are playing. The issues brought up in this paper must be addressed if all players are to truly enjoy experiencing Warband.

A bit dated, true, but still, many of your points are still valid in today's version.

I agree with your point on the Khergits (point to own topic on a khergit infantry class)

Yes, true, the swads need to have that damn sword slowed down. However, it should still be faster than the two handed nord axe.
Also, I would make it so the swad crossbowmen are not as good as the Rhodok crossbow men. Right now, both factions are equal in the ranged department.
Oh, and take away the pike from the swads! Their infantry should be swordsmen.

+1 on the Vaegir being the most balanced faction. Though, I would take away the scimitar for the calvery and give them a fighting axe. They were axe calvery in the original game, which was awesome.

Yes! Nords should have the most powerful melee infantry!

Now, on the Rhodok, I kind of disagree with you.
There is nothing wrong with a faction being primarily defensive. They were tanks in the original game. The best defenders.
Yes, it might be a good idea to buff the length of the glaive.
As said above, Rhodok crossbowmen should be the best crossbowmen in the game.

In all, very nice! Definitely points out all of the imbalances between the factions very well.

Well written, a bit outdated like you said. I agree with most points except that Nord Infantry is weaker then Swadian Infantry, I've played both fairly heavily lately, although the Bastard swords of the swadians are decent, damage is lacking and their stronger two handed weapons cost extremely much(more then 1000 denar for a Great Sword), Nord Veterans have access to the extremely powerfull axes, granted they lack a stabbing attack for quick surprise hits but that is more then made up for in the much lower cost(less then 500 denars for the best two handed axe) and their shield crushing ability, the biggest disadvantage of two handed swords is that they have to usually manual block(if enforced or set in the settings) and can definitely not survive more then one enemy at once. The two handed axe however takes out the shield in just a few hands giving the Nord Veteran the advantage, heck if they want they can use the one handed axes instead and still crush shields in moments while using their huscarl's shield for max protection.

Nord Veterans have spears now, but no pikes, lances are still superior due to reach and while spears help alot because you can stop a horse with a well placed stab, in general the longer reach and skill of an enemy lancer will usually prove the downfall of veterans unless they play defensive(in which case they can't hit the horseman and just get run over until they drop). If Nord Veterans with spears group together though, no cavalry stands a chance if they charge directly but they can still dance outside spear range easily and wear out the Nord Veterans. All in all, I personally think Nord Veterans are the strongest infantry right now although severaly lacking in anti-cavalry tactics due to lack of pike that the Rhodoks and Swadians have access to.

The huge nerf to throwing weapons gutted the nord veterans.  Throwing weapons used to provide an all around utility to the nord veterans that let them deal with any situation and made up for the weaker archers and cavalry.  But now that throwing weapons are so slow and not even free anymore they aren't especially effective at dealing with anything besides perhaps shields.  And you are probably better off spending that money on a better weapon and shield instead especially if you are dealing with a crossbow faction.  Spending the money on throwing weapons instead of leather armor is a waste right now.  I'd like to see throwing weapons be made much more damaging while retaining the slow throwing speed and probably nerfing amounts.  That way they would be a weapon to be carefully conserved but would never take more than two hits to kill someone.  Making the throwing spears have an anti-horse function could be an idea to look at to help the nords deal with cavalry as well.  But again amounts of them would be lower.  They would also have to be purchasable by the nord veterans again unless the devs wanted the nord scout to have a specifically horse-killing purpose.

I don't agree that slowing weapons down is a good solution. Make them expensive, sure, but making them slow won't work. Since not many players use armor, weapons tend to kill in one or two hits anyway and there is no point in choosing a two hander over a standard one handed sword.

Making armor more accessible and cheaper for infantry would give armor and two-handed weapons more of a point.  I can't tell you how many times I've been one-shotted by a scimitar or arming sword because I couldn't afford armor.  Attacking during siege is the worst you can barely afford the first upgrade to a weapon and a 12 resistance shield.  If you are really lucky you might get cheap leather.

Berserker Pride said:
Making armor more accessible and cheaper for infantry would give armor and two-handed weapons more of a point.  I can't tell you how many times I've been one-shotted by a scimitar or arming sword because I couldn't afford armor.  Attacking during siege is the worst you can barely afford the first upgrade to a weapon and a 12 resistance shield.  If you are really lucky you might get cheap leather.

I've been playing a fair bit of deathmatch, you get money MUCH more easily, if you save up you can easily get over 10k and even afford top level armor with ease for several lives. Top level armor definitely helps against scimitars I think, but blunt weapons(and probably pierce) can still 1 one hit kill you even with top level armor on everything.(and with that I mean like a mace one shotting you...). High armor does indeed help though, there are actually attacks not dealing damage although not exactly glancing off like in singleplayer.

So one handed weapons can still be fairly strong, although not so great hits that can be lethal on a free clothes(or naked) person will cause just a scratch on higher armor levels, any decent hit with a 1 handed is still unusually lethal if combined with a high damage roll. Two handeds definitely have more point against high level armor though, unless you're a rhodok or vaegir with blunt/piercing 1 handed weapons.

Someone made a thread about carrying over the money formula from dm to the other game modes.  Right now it has its own unique money formula.  That would not be a permanent solution but it would help for the meantime.

Berserker Pride said:

You're talking to him :razz:

And yeah I was I thinking of that as a temporary solution until a different money system could be put in place. Being able to actually use armor or actually make use of the great sword in other gamemodes would help test out their strengths and weaknesses.
Also warhorses are actually fairly common in deathmatch as well, assuming there are actually lancers playing(most infantry will gang up on them... which is obvious since they can't duel if someone lances them in the back :razz:). Mostly the basic horses are used(Saddle, Steppe and Courser) in most gamemodes, how can they be properly tested or even be worth using if they're too expensive to use.

They don't do enough charge damage to be useful in my opinion.  Anything that is that slow should hurt when it hits infantry.  And a good lance to the face still kills them. But not hunters they are perfectly balanced as a durable decently quick utility horse.  But yes having enough money to see the effect of a lot of armor use on the battlefield would be good for testing.  And it looks so cool seeing people in armor. 

Merlkir said:
I don't agree that slowing weapons down is a good solution. Make them expensive, sure, but making them slow won't work. Since not many players use armor, weapons tend to kill in one or two hits anyway and there is no point in choosing a two hander over a standard one handed sword.

My only suggestion as far as that goes it so slow some swords down-- just those of Swadians. Their two-hander in particular is the fastest in the game. They can easily mow down any other classes in melee with their two-hander because of its speed.

As far as armor goes, it does need to be a bit stronger. Right now it isn't worth all that much.

I think it is often the pricing instead of the armor now.  I wore a haebergon today and suddenly I was able to take 4 one-handed sword hits instead of 1 or 2 before going down.  But it is rare to actually be able to afford armor like that.  Armor might have been buffed in an earlier patch but nobody noticed because they never wear any.

That could work, but we'd need to see some testing done to make sure heavy armor isn't too easy to get. Regardless, I think armor should be improved a bit.

That's the problem with these devs they take our suggestions/Complaints and they work them in, But they dont do it in a way we suggested rather they create their own solutions, often those solutions are the wrong way to go about it and the community says " You know what never mind, just put things back to the way they where before please".

Making throwing slower was the wrong way to go about it.
As we have suggested and i think almost all of the community believe this is the right solution.

1. More accuracy more damage for thrown weapons, but smaller stacks.

But talewolrds decides to just ignore that and slow them to a crawl instead.  This has created a dead zone for javelins, players cant throw javelins at close range  because by the time the javelin is cocked and released the horseman is in lancing rage, so instead it has to be thrown at an almost impossible range ( due to the horseman turning ).

Phallas said:
That's the problem with these devs they take our suggestions/Complaints and they work them in, But they dont do it in a way we suggested rather they create their own solutions, often those solutions are the wrong way to go about it and the community says " You know what never mind, just put things back to the way they where before please".

As we have suggested and i think almost all of the community believe this is the right solution.

But talewolrds decides to just ignore that and slow them to a crawl instead.  This has created a dead zone for javelins, players cant throw javelins at close range  because by the time the javelin is cocked and released the horseman is in lancing rage, so instead it has to be thrown at an almost impossible range ( due to the horseman turning ).
20070902-Facepalm1.jpg

Scorch! said:
Phallas said:

20070902-Facepalm1.jpg

Indeed...
The reason they were slowed was because assholes were spamming them in the face of infantry faster then they can even swing a sword. Also the few times I had to use it and it would even be any use is when the guy is charging straight at you. In which case, you don't need to aim much and you have time to see him coming. If he's circling you can only hit the horse with a good chance. You don't need to spam javelins to take down a pesky horse.

Merlkir said:
I would like to be the bastard I usually am and (without contributing anything of value to the discussion) point out that most of Phallas' suggestions and opinions are completely moronic and that he should not be taken seriously by any developers reading this, or even better - by anyone.

^2

Seriously, you should listen to him whine in game. He just goes to a whole new level of annoying.

I like the new speed of all throwing weapons. Its great. If stack sizes were reduced by about 1 or 2, then they would be perfect.

Scorch! said:
Seriously, you should listen to him whine in game. He just goes to a whole new level of annoying.

I like the new speed of all throwing weapons. Its great. If stack sizes were reduced by about 1 or 2, then they would be perfect.

Did you used throwing weapons on regular basis since last patch ?

Throwing weapons are fantastic now! I think it is actually acceptable to make nord light throwing axes free now.

However, the Rhodoks need a slight boost for their infantry. And if the Swadian swords are slowed down, the rhodok weapons should be made a little "stronger".

Back
Top Bottom