[Suggestion]Capture the Flag Tweak

Users who are viewing this thread

EdwardWellcraft

Sergeant Knight
I think this may have been mentioned before in one of the horse threads, but I couldn't find it through search so here it goes.

One of the more annoying things with CTF for me is the way people ride in, get off their horse, grab the flag before they are even completely dismounted, and then immediately get back on while riding away. This is just a silly way to grab the flag to me, as unless several people are literally standing next to the flag, or there is a volley of crossbow bolts ready to impale that horse, it's almost impossible to catch the guy before he rides off. Two possible ways to fix this, as I see it.

First is simply make it take longer to get onto horses. That would apply all the time of course.

More game type specific would be make it so you have to both dismount and "grab" the flag with the F button. This would make it take a little bit longer to get the flag and get back onto your horse. This would also prevent people who have been dismounted from "sliding" through the flag and grabbing. I swear I saw one guy get dismounted, slid through our flag, and kept going for another good 30 feet or so. Well out of range of any of us defending the flag. Hopefully the physics system will fix the falling in the first place, but till then this would be a good way to solve that issue.

I've never liked the idea of cavalry being able to ride back the flag, period. I think it would be a lot more interesting if the team had to cover somebody running it back on foot.

OR as i have suggested before

1. Only one horseman per-team. or
2. Flag must be held with both hands , Cannot mount horse with flag, because you cannot use your hands, you can drop the flag if necessary. or
3. The flag should be Surrounded with caltrops, so horses cannot ride next to it... The flag can then be taken by foot and evacuated using the parked horse.. (hopefully hes still parked :smile: )

btw

these are caltrops if you don't know

Caltrope2.jpg
75b6603a286a75fb043f882536a78b010e4412ad_full.jpg

Actually, people grabbing the flag and riding away is not the problem, merely the symptom.

The actual problem is rather the map design itself, which is in no way suitable for a fun CTF game. CTF should be a lot more like the battle gamemode - 2 opposing castles/forts, although way smaller and more compact than in battle, and also not as easy to defend (smaller battlements, no windows for archers, etc..).

Add a few possibilities to enter via ladders, a main gate which has to be operated from the inside, and there you have it - if someone manages to ride away through the gate, it was actually deserved.

Apart from that, it would give CTF something that it's sadly lacking right now - a fun and interesting gameplay.

Bump. I just have opportunity to test CTF - it sucks. Ride->dismount->get flag->mount->ride away. Even in Village.

Imo best and simplest way to fix it would be special banner ability -> -10 riding....

My problem is, horses being too damn strong. I swear I had to couch one about 3 times, then on the ground I stabbed it 2 more and the guy just fell off and one hit ko me. It's only a courser  :mad:

I'd like to see horses move slower with the flag or something, but there's something cool about carrying a flag on horseback- I mean, you're always carrying a flag when you travel in single player... there's no non-gameplay-concession explanation for why its not possible.

Frankly I think the time it takes to bring the horse to a stop, get off, take the flag, and get back on is ample time to stop  this tactic if you have anyone defending.

I would like to see some restrictions on a flag bearer. But not heavy. I don't like ideas of slowing mounting-dismounting or total restriction for mounting.
Dropping flag then mounting,  getting flag as 1.5-handed weapon and dropping flag on switch, maybe add touches of individuality to M&B CTF.  But, actually, such restrictions are not so important.

The main problem, as chadz  sad, is a map.
I know 3 ways to protect a flag.
1. Build up protection around a flag itself (it requires covered positions near flags).
2 .Intercept incoming attacks (particularly, it requires limited number of ways to a flag,  generally, it assumes that defenders much easily can  keep themselves informed about situation around the base than attackers).
3. Intercept a flag bearer on the way to its base (usually, it requires restrictions to a flag bearer, or very limited number of bottlenecks around midway between bases (informational advantage does not help a lot on this stage 'cause defenders most likely have already lost an information battle)).

It's not obliged for a map to support all types of protection.
Maps where impossible to effectively defend around flag that implies situation that if enemy reaches s/he takes it and runs away still leave a lot of space for play if there are ways to intercept incoming attack or flag bearer (personally, I even prefer such maps because they don't set up place for “must camping”).
But currently we almost have noting of it.

The cav is fine, the problem is with the unbalanced maps and stupid spawnpoints.

Commodore_Frank said:
I've never liked the idea of cavalry being able to ride back the flag, period. I think it would be a lot more interesting if the team had to cover somebody running it back on foot.
I dont think so, the guy will get shot, run over, lanced, couched and if you are a khergit, you walk as slow as a turtle, so anyone can catch up with you. Only upside is that you have allot of friendly cav who are 'helping' you.

Yeah just make cav a little slower when they have the flag.  Your team will still need to cover you.  Capture the flag is a pretty cav heavy mode anyway.

I didnt say the whole team...
The rest can attack, and after you are leading you go all out defending with a few attacks sometimes on the flag.

If the flag is in an enclosed area, you won't be able to take a horse all the way to where the flag is. That would solve the problem a lot more simply than tweaking anything else.

If there are a couple of defenders close to the flag, you cannot just dismount and mount with the flag. They will kill you, unless offcourse they are new to the game. I've only managed to get the flag when the defenders are few, inexperienced or if I have teammates supporting me. Thats what I like about CTF, teamwork is required to achieve your objectives. I've seen teams hold their flag outside the village in the open against Swadians, simply because they worked as a team.

Although I understand what you're trying to say, you should realise that if the flag becomes to hard to grab, the game becomes a stalemate and thus; boring for many players. Simply because it then degenerates into a TDM with predetermined spawns.

I like the idea that chadz proposed here and I always thought that was what CTF would look like; two miniforts with multiple entrances. Cant make them too strong though. That would lead to the stalemate I mentioned earlier.

Back
Top Bottom