[Suggestion] Block Delay

Remove the Block Delay?

• Yes

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 41.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I notice no delay whatsoever.  It's better for me now, since I actually have a chance to kill competent players.

And if it's removed...then what?  I get punished because there are no servers in my country?  That's just silly.

If it's going to stay in, I think it should be a server option. I can see how it might be nice to have for more casual-play oriented servers. Servers that attract a more competitive atmosphere aren't going to want it, though.

I've somewhat benefit from this. So I say no. I'm still horrible at blocking, but I'd say I can manually block like 30% of the swings that come at me now, instead of the 0% like before the block delay. As for swings being faster than blocking, give swinging the same delay.

As for this load of BS: "So your going to punish me for living close to the server and or having a good connection and good ping? What do you want me to do? Move to china so i get worse ping?"

You gonna punish me for living as far away as possible from a server? What do you want me to do, move to Europe?

Bull****, at least this way, people are on a more even ground, instead of just arbitrarily giving the advantage to people who happen to live where they do.

Block delay needs to be removed until they get the servers reporting ping accurately.

I'm normally at 80-90-odd ping to the US servers.  When the server starts reporting my ping as being in the 0-38 range, it really screws me up...

People with big small ping don't really benefit... 20ms isn't that much of a difference. I get an average of 64 ping when relatives aren't downloading, and when no-one else is at my home I get 48 ping. I get a massive delay as soon as I get anything below 50 ping.

It's just stupid.

Tibertus said:
Bull****, at least this way, people are on a more even ground, instead of just arbitrarily giving the advantage to people who happen to live where they do.
Again, people start swings, i click block. By the time the delay kicks in, im dead. GG.

/uninstall

inox_ionizer said:
Why not? Assuming it actually works properly (I'm not saying it does), wouldn't it be beneficial for the competitive mindset to play on as even ground as possible?

Can you give a good reason why it should be hardcoded as opposed to a server option? If it were to be a server option, we could even have the tolerance alterable. You could have "international" servers that do the block delay based around 100ms, or casual servers at 50ms, or competitive servers with no block delay.

Styo said:
Tibertus said:
Again, people start swings, i click block. By the time the delay kicks in, im dead. GG.

/uninstall

Which probably means swing speed in general needs to be addressed. Also maybe a swing delay?

SockMonkeh said:
inox_ionizer said:
Why not? Assuming it actually works properly (I'm not saying it does), wouldn't it be beneficial for the competitive mindset to play on as even ground as possible?

Can you give a good reason why it should be hardcoded as opposed to a server option? If it were to be a server option, we could even have the tolerance alterable. You could have "international" servers that do the block delay based around 100ms, or casual servers at 50ms, or competitive servers with no block delay.

Because I'm guessing the majority of servers will  be player run once the game releases, and they'll all just do what benefits themselves in their own servers, turning it off.

Wow, international ping to you is 100? **** that, that's what I get on US servers.

So someone who is lazy and doesn't wish to buy a connection that is suitable for gaming should have an advantage against someone who is dedicated to gaming?

At this rate of thinking, I'm going to revert to Dial Up.

Oh yeah, I'm lazy, and don't have the best internet service I can get. Ever ****ing think that maybe I'm across the country, as far away as possible from the servers. Ever ****ing think that I do have a good internet service, but because this whole state is a pile of ****, the infrastructure is about 50 years old?

And just cause you don't seem to get the purpose of the block delay, it's not to give anyone an advantage, it's to even the playing field, so to speak.

It was supposed to, but it just doesn't work. It either benefits the person with bad ping, or good ping. You can't balance it out. As I said before, there isn't much difference between someone with 60 ping and 40 ping.

You could get a better connection so you can match those with better pings. Having 100+ ping means you should relocate from the servers you play on/your house.

Oh yes, I can just pick up and move. You're idiotic.

Also, yes, there isn't much difference between 40 and 60 ping, but above that, even small steps can be very noticable. When I play during offpeak hours, and manage to get 80 ping, I feel like I'm on top of the world compared to 100.

****, I remember when 200 ping was decent for gaming, and now people think you're a backwoods hick if you have anything over 75. Sometimes things just don't work out great for everyone, and working on a solution to broaden the player base can only be a good move.

Making it un-enjoyable/un-playable for people that are really into gaming is not a good move however. The people that are just getting into gaming are the ones that will play Single-Player most of the time. The game is playable with up to 150 ping if you're willing to adjust your tactics from Single-Player style to 150 ping win style.

I often play with 200 ping, as I have a bad connection, but I don't want to ruin the majority's game just because I have crap internet.

A lot of you are forgetting that ping delay was brought in not only to broaden the playing field but to ensure that two skilled manual blockers couldn't duel for eternity.  I remember quite a few threads saying manual blocking was too easy.  It was also brought in because people were able to cancel their attacks and block in no time at all.  Simply put I guess the idea was that some people were impossible to score a hit against with blocking being instant all the time.

Meh. I'm not against block delays, but making it only for someone who doesn't really have an advantage in the first place is stupid. Someone with 100 ping can easily do the same things as a person that has <50 ping if they try. It all comes down to skill. Having a delay for someone that has a good internet removes skill completely. It actually forces them to have a spammy-like attack.

Alec{zacool} said:
It was supposed to, but it just doesn't work. It either benefits the person with bad ping, or good ping. You can't balance it out. As I said before, there isn't much difference between someone with 60 ping and 40 ping.

You could get a better connection so you can match those with better pings. Having 100+ ping means you should relocate from the servers you play on/your house.
There isn't a single server even in my country, so piss off.

Back
Top Bottom