[Suggestion] Add quarter staff as a free weapon for vaegir archers

Users who are viewing this thread

Sidus Preclarum said:
Attacksmurfen said:
Hmm I don't think it's that long of a weapon, a real two-handed pike would be much longer, then it would make sence.

I would be interested in any depiction/reenaction of a medieval pikeman with a shield. Not even using it, carrying one with him. All I've been able to found so far are bucklers.

And seriously, try and hold a 3 meters long  thick wooden shaft with one hand,  from say at the 3rd ot its length. Try *stabbing* with that. That's what the Aswhood pike is. The regular pike is even longer in game.

True, currently in game, like all polearms, but for pikes that's more important, they suffer from the fact you can't brace them. But on the other hand, you can also use them indoors, and can somehow put them back into your inventory when you'd logically have to drop them to draw another weapon for self defence...
You wouldn't run around and stab with such a weapon but more of holding it in place, point forward and hide behind your shield. To fend of cavalry charges. The problem is to decide what actually is a pike?
In that sence you're right, a pike is to me a long spear held in two hands, often it should taper towards the point. But people "back then" weren't exactly consistant in what they called things. A pike could be a very pointy spear, a long spear or anything else, not to mention that english was a small peasants language nobody cared for, so the word pike in itself is a contradiction.

But nevertheless, indeed one could have "pikes" and "spears" where the difference would be that spears can be used together with a shield, pikes being longer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasnt a pike held with the left hand while the end of it was placed under ones right foot, leaving the right hand free to hold a sword/sabre? I dont think shields were involved.

Vermin said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasnt a pike held with the left hand while the end of it was placed under ones right foot, leaving the right hand free to hold a sword/sabre? I dont think shields were involved.

That is one of several possible stances. You mean something like this:

pikeman2.gif

Thats exactly what I was talking about, but I didnt even know there were different stances. Holding it with two hands as we do now ingame seems unrealistic, the weight of the horse would throw you down. On the other hand, its probably the only/best way for it to work in this game (Its use is limited to Rhodoks anyway).

Vermin said:
Thats exactly what I was talking about, but I didnt even know there were different stances. Holding it with two hands as we do now ingame seems unrealistic, the weight of the horse would throw you down. On the other hand, its probably the only/best way for it to work in this game (Its use is limited to Rhodoks anyway).

That is true, but when you stand like that you can't advance, so you have the hip position, by the shoulder position and over the head position too, so several ranks could point their pikes past the rank in front of them, and be a threat in that sence too.

currently the game lets you handle them like you do on horseback. technically you can hold them that way since you do on a horse, but without the speed provided by a horse, I really don't think they would be very effective used that way.

Back
Top Bottom