[Suggestion] Add quarter staff as a free weapon for vaegir archers

Users who are viewing this thread

leave the archer's scimitar alone. taking it away only means nerfing!

But it would be nice if they had more weapons to choose from, even though  probably would never choose the quarter staff. Plus the fact, carrying a bow AND a quarterstaff is kind of silly and slightly unrealistic, since they also need space for the quiver. Im fine with them being able to buy that silly wooden stick you proposed, but by no means should it be the default.

This is sort of a different topic, but dont you guys think that we need more "intermediate" armor? say the vaegir archer specifically, has the jerkin which is like 320 and gives 20def or something, then it jumps to the lamellar vest of 970 with 40 def points. It would be nice if we had something in between here...

Halcyon said:
But it would be nice if they had more weapons to choose from, even though  probably would never choose the quarter staff. Plus the fact, carrying a bow AND a quarterstaff is kind of silly and slightly unrealistic, since they also need space for the quiver. Im fine with them being able to buy that silly wooden stick you proposed, but by no means should it be the default.
I will ALWAYS use the quarter staff :grin:.
If you're an archer, you don't have shield. If you don't have shield, you have to block manually. What weapon is better for the manual blocker: scimitar (reach 97, speed 105(? not sure), 29c, no thrust(!)) or quarter staff (reach 140(!), speed 100(!), 20b/20b)? I think it's kinda rhetorical question.
That's why I think it's not a very good idea. And, of course, I agree with you about the realism (althought there are dozens of non-realistic moments in Warband now).
Halcyon said:
This is sort of a different topic, but dont you guys think that we need more "intermediate" armor? say the vaegir archer specifically, has the jerkin which is like 320 and gives 20def or something, then it jumps to the lamellar vest of 970 with 40 def points. It would be nice if we had something in between here...
The thing is that in most of game modes (except siege, I believe) it's not a problem to get lamellar pretty soon. So, I don't know... The thing is that in most Warband games a average/typical archer is more armored than an average/typical infantryman, which is... hm... strange-looking. Archers should be lightly armored, I believe.

Attacksmurfen said:
I've said this before: add a quarter staff, just make it the same as the spear is now. And then both spear and war spear could be thrusting weapons like the pike, as they should be.
And make Awlpike and Ashwood pike usable with shields and add more 2-handed polearms similar to the glaive i.e. billhook, halberd etc...

Lord no.

PsykoOps said:
Lt. of the tower said:
No staffs thank you.

Well you don't have to use them.

right, but you said set it as default, if it were, and you choose to go with the warbow, chances are you wouldnt be able to afford the scimitar, unless you have that silly free white shirt on, and who wants to go into battle with no protection?  :razz:

Sidus Preclarum said:
Attacksmurfen said:

Because... it's a pike? And not a spear? I.e., a weapon too long & heavy to be used with one hand?

Like the weapon called "pike" you mean? Ehh....
Besides, none of the ingame weapons are that long, we are talking about a 5+ meter weapon to be too long to be held in two hands. Aaaand.... there's nothing saying a pike must be a longer weapon than a spear. Awl pike in fact was a weapon with a very long thrusting point, but not a long weapon per se.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if pikes were 2-handed, if ALL pikes were 2-handed. Sure they should be longer than now to compensate and to be superior vs cavalry. It's a way to go too.
I just feel that there's no clear distinction between polearms, why can you swing a spear but not an awl pike? Is the awl pike too heavy? What about the glaive then, it's heavier.

Sidus Preclarum said:
Attacksmurfen said:
Sidus Preclarum said:
Attacksmurfen said:
Like the weapon called "pike" you mean?

No. Like the weapon called "spear", and unlike the weapon called "pike".

You do know that you can have a pike + shield in the game, don't you?

Well, you shouldn't, isn't that the whole point?

Hmm I don't think it's that long of a weapon, a real two-handed pike would be much longer, then it would make sence.
But for the game, sure, why not? Pikes = no shield.

Halcyon said:
right, but you said set it as default, if it were, and you choose to go with the warbow, chances are you wouldnt be able to afford the scimitar, unless you have that silly free white shirt on, and who wants to go into battle with no protection?  :razz:

Chatholics I guess. I always have a condom close by.

On a serious note, I am all in favor for adding more weapons from singleplayer. A staff seems nice as an alternative option for archers, but not as the default. Give them a (rusty) hatchet or something similar.  :mrgreen:

You need a strong wood for pikes, these woods are heavier then those used for spears.

The weight according to length is not linear, in other words its not just a weight problem,
its a leverage problem. most of the weight which includes the wood and the spear head is on the other head of the grip.

No way one human wrist can manage a pike. there needs to be 2 hands  one to grip and one to leverage it.

although pikes where around 3-4 meters the longest being 6 meters,
but this length was the result of an arms race to give there sides pikeman the "advantage" but the length of 4-6 meters isn't effective,
because of the sagging of the wood
more steel reinforcements where needed to stop it sagging and this made the pike very heavy and uncontrollable.

Anyway quarter staff do not belong on a professional battlefield, just as funny as that farming tools thread.

Attacksmurfen said:
Hmm I don't think it's that long of a weapon, a real two-handed pike would be much longer, then it would make sence.

I would be interested in any depiction/reenaction of a medieval pikeman with a shield. Not even using it, carrying one with him. All I've been able to found so far are bucklers.

And seriously, try and hold a 3 meters long  thick wooden shaft with one hand,  from say at the 3rd ot its length. Try *stabbing* with that. That's what the Aswhood pike is. The regular pike is even longer in game.

True, currently in game, like all polearms, but for pikes that's more important, they suffer from the fact you can't brace them. But on the other hand, you can also use them indoors, and can somehow put them back into your inventory when you'd logically have to drop them to draw another weapon for self defence...

Back
Top Bottom