SP - General Succession

Users who are viewing this thread

kampfbock

Recruit
I would love to see real dynastic competition in this game. We have marriage, we have kids and we have a rudimentary feudal system, now add some dynastic flavor to it. Inheritence for instance would make a great addition to the game. Succession laws could be added into the game and be a source of conflict within a kingdom or clan. If the king dies and gavelkind succesion is enabled the kingdom would be split among his children. Same with vassals, their domains would also be split, although they would still all be part of the same kingdom under which their father served. Of course there could be different kinds of inheritance laws, which would have support from different people. The eldest child might prefer primogeniture, the youngest ultimogeniture and your vassals will probably love gavekind, since it keeps the central power of the king in check.
This could be coupled with culture flavor, in Vlandia gavelkind might be the tradition and thus prefered, in the empire it might be primogeniture and khuzaits might go with the son who has the most renown, influence or the biggest army under his control.
Not only would it make a great internal politics mechanic for a game set in medieval times, it opens up alot of possibilities for expansion and scheming. Imagine if marriage wasn't just an alliance, but rather a foot in the door to get your hands on some juicy land for your dynasty. It could be the source of great internal conflicts and alot of fun.
This could be combined with a claim system. Claims on titles could be forged, granted by the king, inherited or gotten by losing a fief for whatever reason. This could be done for within and outside of kingdoms and may even be used as parameter for the AI to get their priorities in warfare and diplomacy straight. Since at the moment they just declare war for the sake of blind conquest in all directions, which is totally immersion breaking and becomes tedious and boring after 100 hours.

Clans are so big right now and lives are so long I'm not sure anyone would ever play long enough for any of this to matter.

Clans are so big right now and lives are so long I'm not sure anyone would ever play long enough for any of this to matter.

I dont agree that clans are too big, from my experience they tend to hover around 5 people, around 10 is the maximum i saw. And there is another problem, why should companions be counted as the same as your family? It makes no sense. In my succession system a companion wouldn't ever be eligeable for succesion. Maybe only if there are no familymembers to inherit and even then it should probably go to the kingdom and a public vote should decide over the new owner.

To your point over lifespan and gamelenght. Thats one major issue i have. The game is set in late antiquity/early medieval times. The empire is split, barbarians invaded and a new order is about to arise....Yet these things are resolved within a few years of gametime and a few hours of real time.... Is that a satisfying state of things? If all you want is a combat simulator with a map, sure it might be. But then why even bother with a map, characters and relations in the first place? Why not just make ''mordhau meets total war'' and at least make that better than these 2 are in their own right, which at the moment this game definetely isn't.

In the current state the campaign is over after around 10 hours, 1 kingdom has won and rules over everything forever....For me as strategy gamer this is just infuriating. If that is not the point of the game, ok, if we are just supposed to enjoy some hours of mindless combat, ok, but then again why even bother to tease these things if they are only smoke and mirrors.

The sad truth is, if you want to feel like a commander on the battlefield who uses superior tactics you are better off just playing total war, if you want solid medieval combat you are better off playing mordhau or just the bannerlord multiplayer and if you want actual strategy you play paradox interactive games....

If this game is ever supposed to be more than just a combat simulator with beatiful yet lifeless map and locations it needs alot of work to flesh out its systems and make them mesh well together. And if we consider that it took them 8 years to get to this point, oh boy, i cant wait to play this game in 10 years then....

The sad truth is, if you want to feel like a commander on the battlefield who uses superior tactics you are better off just playing total war, if you want solid medieval combat you are better off playing mordhau or just the bannerlord multiplayer and if you want actual strategy you play paradox interactive games....

If this game is ever supposed to be more than just a combat simulator with beatiful yet lifeless map and locations it needs alot of work to flesh out its systems and make them mesh well together. And if we consider that it took them 8 years to get to this point, oh boy, i cant wait to play this game in 10 years then....

There are some aspects of each game you mention that does something better, but I believe you are also not giving M&B credit in other areas. It is definitely the superior RPG to those other titles. If I want to **** around and be a merchant, I can! If I want to be a black market criminal trader, I can! If I want to be a small business owner, I can!

I think they've said they will be building upon the crime system and criminal underworld as well. There is much more to the game than just kingdom strategy, battles, and family lineage.

There are some aspects of each game you mention that does something better, but I believe you are also not giving M&B credit in other areas. It is definitely the superior RPG to those other titles. If I want to **** around and be a merchant, I can! If I want to be a black market criminal trader, I can! If I want to be a small business owner, I can!

I think they've said they will be building upon the crime system and criminal underworld as well. There is much more to the game than just kingdom strategy, battles, and family lineage.

Yes i agree you can totally be those things, but what is the gameplay when doing those things? Being a trader doesnt involve any bartering or improving relations with traders and artisans to get better deals, you just rund around buy things at low price and run around some more to sell them at another place for higher price, this isn't what i would call engaging gameplay. Same with smithing you get your hands on materials and then press a button.
You can do caravans or workshops and again there is not much thought that needs to be put into it. With workshops you atleast have to look a little at local prices and supply from nearby villages but thats it, it's a one time calculation and then you never hav to care about it again.
This is all not really engaging, if i want to do that i could just play star sector or any other strategy or economic simulator that does a much better job.

This game has the potential to be more than that, it has the potential to bring it all together,but right now it is a jack of all trade and master of none and even that gives it too much credit in its current state.

Yes i agree you can totally be those things, but what is the gameplay when doing those things? Being a trader doesnt involve any bartering or improving relations with traders and artisans to get better deals, you just rund around buy things at low price and run around some more to sell them at another place for higher price, this isn't what i would call engaging gameplay. Same with smithing you get your hands on materials and then press a button.
You can do caravans or workshops and again there is not much thought that needs to be put into it. With workshops you atleast have to look a little at local prices and supply from nearby villages but thats it, it's a one time calculation and then you never hav to care about it again.
This is all not really engaging, if i want to do that i could just play star sector or any other strategy or economic simulator that does a much better job.

This game has the potential to be more than that, it has the potential to bring it all together,but right now it is a jack of all trade and master of none and even that gives it too much credit in its current state.
It's a decent foundation, though. Who knows where TW will take it. Who knows when it will be 'there.' ...but I'd keep an eye on the modders. They'll be the ones to really shape specific aspects of the game.

Back
Top Bottom