Submodding (totally not cheating) Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Shrugging Khan

Sergeant Knight at Arms
So, since 9.1 breaks old savegames, I wanted to accelerate my new game by giving all companion NPCs some item sets of my choice. Steel Boots for everyone! Really, I just hate managing companion inventories. So I thought this would be a quick way to save me some annoyance.

But alas, it didn't work. The companions just use their old items as always...even their unfashionable steel-less boots.

What did I do wrong?  :eek:

Did you use something like this?

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=117997.0

Or did you just edit the troops.txt using a text editor?

I simply replaced the item numbers with the ones that I wanted using notepad++, then started a new game.
Companions have not adopted new equipment :/

EDIT: Disregard, I'm an idiot. I changed the proficiencies instead of the items.

Alas! Now that I changed back the proficiencies and altered the actual item numbers instead, the game just crashes whenever I press "New Game"  :sad:

PS: I know this is just due to my own incompetence...but damned - it really feels like there's active cheat protection making things hard.

There's no cheat protection.  I modify these mods to suit my own preferences all the time.  Use the tool I mentioned above, it's safer than editing with Notepad++, though I do use it as well depending on what I am changing.  It could be as simple as an extra space you inadvertently inserted somewhere without realizing it.

You can download the troop editor here.

I sometimes encountered the problem that the item editor can't load the item_kinds.txt of a mod, usually because there are one or more line feeds that can't be read.
To fix this you have to find the lines and edit them with a regular text editor - the problem of course is finding the errors.

P.S. Edits in troops.txt only have an effect in a new game.

People, I thought I had this covered in the OP...I'm ALWAYS starting a new game; the problem is that the game crashes exactly when I do *that*.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom