[Sub-mod]1866: Western Mod - For a few years more

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi! Maybe it's a bit early to announce this, but together with a friend, tocan (author of Tocan's Calradia, a mod that has become the base for many others) we started re-making the mod for Warband. It will be published as a sub-mod, eventually, to avoid any trouble, because we view it as a passion project, we don't mean to steal anyone's work, but expand on a great mod, in a superior game engine, like Warband is to vanilla M&B.
All depend on how the mod's scenes are ported to Warband. If we manage to port them, we have big plans. Making the mod essentially from the beginning, we will expand on the great concept.

So, as for your question, friend, working with text files, in the original mod, it is not possible. The module system is required for that and more, and that's why we are trying. :grin:

Hi! Maybe it's a bit early to announce this, but together with a friend, tocan (author of Tocan's Calradia, a mod that has become the base for many others) we started re-making the mod for Warband. It will be published as a sub-mod, eventually, to avoid any trouble, because we view it as a passion project, we don't mean to steal anyone's work, but expand on a great mod, in a superior game engine, like Warband is to vanilla M&B.
All depend on how the mod's scenes are ported to Warband. If we manage to port them, we have big plans. Making the mod essentially from the beginning, we will expand on the great concept.

So, as for your question, friend, working with text files, in the original mod, it is not possible. The module system is required for that and more, and that's why we are trying. :grin:

OMG! I just bought Warband. The Native game is much better than M&B, but I don't care for the 1860s Old America mod at all. The 1866 with your sub-mod is superior in almost all aspects. So being able to play it with the WB engine would be great!

Last edited:
Thank you, we are working hard on it. Just a teaser, with the French troops in and a random battle scene, with a new system of spawned scene props, made by tocan:
mb_warband_2021-01-20_15-44-59-82.jpg

Niiice! And now, we haven't given up, yet. :grin:
But work has been slow, these last two weeks, mostly because of me. Returning to a teaching position after months of inactivity kinda took my time.

Hi. Using 1.011 version of M&B (GoG) and the mod in your megashare link. Launched from the IronLauncher (M&B exe is patched with the 4GB patch), I get no water surface textures for water (rivers, brooks, etc) while in towns, just a blank white, as if frozen with ice.

Yes, sorry about that. The issue happens because I used Warband shaders to M&B 1.011. That..was a mistake. :lol:
It's easily fixable, just delete the two shader files, named:
mb.fx, and mb.fxo

Deleting them not only fixes the water issue, but it also reduces the lag and stuttering that made the mod hard to play.

Yes, sorry about that. The issue happens because I used Warband shaders to M&B 1.011. That..was a mistake. :lol:
It's easily fixable, just delete the two shader files, named:
mb.fx, and mb.fxo

Deleting them not only fixes the water issue, but it also reduces the lag and stuttering that made the mod hard to play.

That worked. You might want to update your mod with these deletions or at least mention it in the readme since the Warband water shaders look very wrong. I like your sub-mod a lot but is there a way to play with the default M&B 1.011 (enhanced version from Moddb) fonts? My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need a larger, clearer font and the default one is best for me. Thanks for all your work.

Sure! To play with Native fonts, just delete the font.dds from the Textures folder and the font.data from the Module Data folder.
The reason I don't update it any more is simple; a friend of mine and I have begun "porting" it to Warband, a better, we are re-making the mod completely, adding factions, content etc. as discussed above. :grin:

Sure! To play with Native fonts, just delete the font.dds from the Textures folder and the font.data from the Module Data folder.
The reason I don't update it any more is simple; a friend of mine and I have begun "porting" it to Warband, a better, we are re-making the mod completely, adding factions, content etc. as discussed above. :grin:

Thanks. It worked great. Really like your update of this old mod and looking forward to the Warband port. I love the little details you put into this, like the dead man in the coffin on public display in one of the first towns with the sign that said something like, "Break the law here and win lead and a free coffin!" lol. Good luck on the new project.

Media
***WARNING*** Large Images; I've already resized them, but not to a point that they are small and invisible!

g948jalhhp8y4lpzg.jpg

2egbpx37f1nr331zg.jpg
x7ey6vi67hc5aq7zg.jpg

e1g0i205c1x03wjzg.jpg
kre7gwqkwgn6norzg.jpg

abo6v3kkdz3cscnzg.jpg

x1objnkk3ivwe81zg.jpg
op25wmw5gxdutpxzg.jpg

fx78fxiu08mr4uxzg.jpg
27740vlccni2y43zg.jpg

6ykz4jody4v4b70zg.jpg

j6e5ri5kmy8cx1qzg.jpg
5mahm12ee5hut5mzg.jpg
eipsetktirg46r6zg.jpg

c0m0k63s4ox8peyzg.jpg

18c7kz4g3qb633zzg.jpg

5wf8069yunshr7uzg.jpg
japcgupq8hzgrpnzg.jpg

nacktad4m0066f3zg.jpg

k8an71czl5kkw86zg.jpg
dq2k0cph47a2b1dzg.jpg

aqqy121tsf70a87zg.jpg

569va3m80ky205vzg.jpg

53lwsq4jg9bs9a9zg.jpg

9bbfephnfep9j3lzg.jpg

ak2ta55x9ai2npnzg.jpg

1t9i2p11915x3lozg.jpg

8chs5o8c6zkkpyfzg.jpg

aatafewy4ds44s8zg.jpg

Download Links
MEGA
Congratulations for your great mod! I've already sunk like 30 hours into it. You did a great job at bringing back my memories of the last, unfinished release of 1866 -and that was almost a decade ago, back in 2011.:xf-smile:

However, as a qualified historian, I couldn't help but notice some glaring historical accuracy issues. Aside from certain anachronistic firearms (which you purposefully added for a better gameplay experience), there are certain props that do not belong in a Wild West setting. I'm talking about recycled Native assets, such as Middle Eastern furniture -e.g. terracotta oil lamps, braziers, Arabian-style sofas and floor cushions- and architectural features -pointed and horseshoe arches- used in certain Mexican buildings, among other minor inconsistencies. I'm nevertheless aware that it takes a lot of work to create new assets from scratch, so please don't take these remarks personally.

On another note, you did make one huge, serious mistake in replacing the original 1866's Mexican Republic troops and characters with their Imperial counterparts. It was precisely in 1866 that French troops started to withdraw from Mexico. By then, Benito Juarez's Republican Army had also mostly expelled Maximilian's Imperial Mexican Army from northern areas like the Chihuahua-Texas border, where 1866 takes place.

In practical terms, this means you have turned historical allies (the Imperial Mexican Army and its French Force Expeditionnaire support forces) into enemies, as the Force Exp. faction is set in the TXT files to be a permanent enemy of the Mexican faction. You even left the original description of the Mexican and Force Exp. factions unchanged, thus inadvertently creating another inconsistency. Quoting roughly from the mod (can't post pictures yet):

"Mexico represents the Mexican Republican forces battling against the tyranny of Emperor Maximilian (and oddly enough, Maximilian I himself appears right below this statement as the Mexican faction leader)".

"The Force Exp. are the French troops battling the Mexican Republic (yet the Mexican faction is led by Maximilian, who was historically a puppet sovereign installed by the Second French Empire to gain control of Mexico's riches)".

In any case, I beg you once more not to mistake this for gratuitous criticism -I know that modding is a tiring, burdensome affair which usually goes unrewarded. If you are OK with it, I would really like to contribute to your upcoming Warband port as an historical advisor/tester/proofreader/quest writer -just PM me to talk about the details.

Thank you for your great mod again and sorry for the wall of text.

Thank you, glad you are enjoying the mod. Very in-depth critique, thank you!
About the scene props (lamps, braziers etc.) I would like to change them, but I am not a very competent modeller, so until I find one or models that are suitable, they have to remain in the mod.
The inaccurate firearms were removed and substituted with correct guns. Mainly "pepperbox" styled revolvers, as there weren't all that many large calibre guns circulating.
Hey, about the Mexican error, wow! I didn't know that. My decision was made for practical reasons (I didn't have many references on their equipment and in the mod, they used mainly fictitious or outdated versions of Imperial garb).
So, when and if I have time, I can work to remedy that situation, for this specific mod.

In the Warband port, this issue isn't present, as we have included both the Imperials and the Republicans, as well as the French Expeditionary Force, as a proper faction, not just roaming "bandits".

Do you plan to keep some Confederates around as bandits in America? I discovered recently that the KKK existed as a form of Confederate Guerillas after the Civil War and thought that having them in the ghost outfits might add some visual variety to the bandit pools.

Yes, and no. About the vanilla M&B mod, yes. It's not I can do much else, it's the blasted lack of Module files that severely restricts me.
As for the Warband port, we plan to have Confederates having their own "lair", a location of where they gather, have new recruits etc. A mini-factions. And roaming the map, there would be bands of them harassing the population, acting as bandits.

Looing forward to it. Thanks for putting the time and effort into updating this classic mod. I was always dismayed by the incomplete quests and other unfinished aspects of the mod, which otherwise seemed so promising.

I seem to recall that there were balance issues between the Native American tribes and the other factions, particularly the underpowered Union troops, so the natives generally ended up taking over major portions of the Union territory in a matter of a few months. I could wipe out stacks of Union troops 50% larger than my own with only a few casualties (mostly wounded at that), but got absolutely crushed by native units the same size or slightly smaller than my own. The pecking order seemed to be:
Native Americans
Confederates
Mexicans and Gangs
Union

Back
Top Bottom