Sturigans is more weak after update?

Users who are viewing this thread

As far as AI battling each other go, "simulated" battles consider unit levels and whether units are mounted (a flat multiplier to level based strength of the unit card). Thus factions with a lot of cav and nobles get advantage in AI wars. Let's look at party templates.
Empire: 63 men total, 7 cav, 7 nobles
Sturgia: 53 men total, 3 cav, 0 nobles
Aserai: 50 men total, 5 cav, 0 nobles
Vlandia: 54 men total, 16 cav, 10 nobles
Battania: 53 men total, 12 cav, 7 nobles
Khuzait: 57 men total, 19 cav, 0 nobles
I feel like there are indeed some factions here that have unfair advantage but I'm not sure if Sturgia is one of them.

Where did you got those numbers from? I was recently fighting Vlandians non stop for like a few months in game time and their armies are certainly not made of 40% cavalry. That might have been result of troop desertion bug but that wouldn't change the fact that those numbers does not appear in the game itself. Also I could swear I have captured noble line troops from Sturgian armies. If your numbers are true, they shouldn't have been there. I am not 100% sure about that thou as I did not pay attention to it specifically.

Also how large is mounted bonus?

Now let's do players. There is an obvious hole in Sturgian troop tree, their top tier archers have low tier bows and arrows and mid tier medium armor. They aren't comparable in any way to tier 5 ranged units of any other faction.

Troop trees of different cultures are not supposed to have comparable units. But if you want to compare then Batania doesn't have archers at all in their standard troop tree so they are infinitely worst off in that regard. And yes, you can get super archers in their noble line. But unless you take Disciplinarian perk and abuse forest bandits, you are going to have much harder time getting archers in your Batanian armies then Sturgian ones.

Are there some other units in the Sturgian troop tree that justify their ranged being trash?

Units are not there to justify anything. Each faction have a focus, with Imperial been sort of jacks of all trades. This is not competitive challenge, it's a single player game and factions are designed to have flavor, not to compete with each other on every field equally. Sturgia gets weaker archers, but it gets better infantry and super heavy cav in the noble line.

Are there some other units in the Sturgian troop tree that justify their ranged being trash? Druzhinniks are basically Vlandian knights but slightly worse due to some questionable equipment pieces and are a pain to upgrade because they only get a horse at tier 4.

First of all, Sturgian archers are not trash. They have the same ranged stats as Imperial or Kuzait archers, they just have less armor at tier 5 and slightly worst bows. But then unless you screw up, your archers should not get in to melee combat to begin with and you don't want them exchange archer fire no matter how much better armor yours have.

Vlandian knights are the best heavy cav in the game. Druzhinniks been "slightly" worst still makes them pretty damn good. Especially because some other factions doesn't have anything comparable.

Veteran warriors are good but hardly better than legionaries and sergeants. That leaves us with shock infantry and skirmish cavalry. I really doubt those are great enough to pull Sturgia up by its bootstraps.

Well Vlandian knights are "hardly better than Druzhiniks" in your opinion. So why do you count Sturgian unit been slightly worst in one case and dismiss another Sturgian unit been slightly better in another?

And yes, shock infantry are very good. They might actually be better then veteran warriors. Especialy because they will demolish any melee cavalry with their warrazzors. Vlandians can kiss their Sturgian ass, because Sturgian infantry will walk strait over dead bodies of Vlandian knights and their expensive horses.

If you want the best infantry in the game, Sturgian t5 is way to go. No competition here. The only weakens is that Sturgian T4 infantry absolutely sucks. That's really the only thing I would like to get changed in their roster.

Obviously, as a player in all your wisdom, you can lure the AI into attacking your shield wall and play as Sturgia in that way. You can also do it with any faction. In fact, every faction will be better at it than Sturgia, even Khuzaits on foot.

No they won't. You just said yourself that Sturgian top tier melee infantry is best in the game.

Their ranged units will just slaughter half the enemy army by the time they get to melee. Empire and Battania won't even need a shiled wall, they can spam archers and win every time.

Vlandian knights will wipe floor with those ranged units. So why don't you just declare every faction in the game been trash except for Vlandia?

And then there is the last thing -for a player non of this matters, because you can recruit what ever units you want. Nothing is preventing you to take Sturgian infantry, Vlandian cav and Batanian noble archers.

Sturgians get -20% to snow penalty, not + 20% to movement in snow. If the the penalty itself is 20% then the effective bonus is +5%. Is the penalty itself even implemented by the way? Meanwhile Vlandians upgrade their already bs knight armies 20% faster and Khuzaits get +10% to movement bonus from cav everywhere on the map. I certainly hope that these traits don't work for AI parties because it would just exacerbate the issue if they do.

And if penalty is 40% then bonus is +10%. You also don't know if it's -20% FROM the penalty or -20% TO the penalty. If the later and penalty was 20%, then Sturgians would effectively not suffer from snow penalty at all.

I certainly hope that these traits don't work for AI parties because it would just exacerbate the issue if they do.

AI armies are made of conscripts, upgrade rate for Vlandians makes absolutely no difference here. It might be the worst and most useless AI bonus of the all factions. And that's assuming AI upgrade it's troops to begging with, because AI armies are pre set to contain certain % of each tier troops.

And Khuzait armies are already faster then anybody else anyway. 10% is just small bonus to already large advantage they have.

Last edited:
Just checked stats of the Sturgian T5 archers and compared them to Imperial, Khuzait and Aserai T5 archers in 1.3.0.

Sturgias have better bow skill then Imperial and Khuzaits, the same bow as Imperials, better one handed weapon then Khuzaits and the only stat that Sturgian T5 archers are inferior of the other 3 is in the armor department. And keep in mind that their lighter armor makes them faster of foot and better able to kite enemies, so it's not complete minus.

So no, Sturgian archers don't suck nowhere near as much as you want people to believe. Moreover in pure archery -which is stat that matters most for archers, they actually outperform both Imperials and Khuzaits.

Here you can see stats of the 1.3.0 units if you want to check yourself: https://skulldrinker.com/troops.e1.3.0.json

Where did you got those numbers from?
partyTemplates.xml as of 1.3.0. That's the parties they spawn with after being released or running away.
AI lords hire recruits from villages too and then promote their units, they don't just use troops they spawn with. The problem is some factions will very rarely recruit nobles or promote units to tier 4-5 where they get cav. Others get them for free. I have seen maybe 2 or 3 druzhinniks and farises in AI armies in 100+ hours of playing Bannerlord. I don't think I have ever seen a single khan's guard I haven't personally promoted. I once tried to starve out a Vlandian castle and was continuously attacked by their lords. I killed more than a hundred Vlandian noble cav myself by the time I gave up. It just isn't right.
Also how large is mounted bonus?
It's 30%.
Each faction have a focus, with Imperial been sort of jacks of all trades. This is not competitive challenge, it's a single player game and factions are designed to have flavor, not to compete with each other on every field equally. Sturgia gets weaker archers, but it gets better infantry and super heavy cav in the noble line.
See, here's the problem. They don't get significantly better infantry. They get more or less what Vlandia and Empire get in infantry and cav. You don't get anything like Nord huscarls.
First of all, Sturgian archers are not trash. They have the same ranged stats as Imperial or Kuzait archers, they just have less armor at tier 5 and slightly worst bows.
Sturgian archers seem to have been updated in 1.3.0 so they might be more okayish now. They still have bad arrows and armor though. At this point I'm pretty sure that Northern lamellar armor being that bad is some sort of a mistake because some units that get it actually get a protection downgrade nad I just saw Raganvad wearing the same armor in a tournament.
And yes, shock infantry are very good. They might actually be better then veteran warriors. Especialy because they will demolish any melee cavalry with their warrazzors.
I'm not sure about elite menavliatons since I didn't use them but Vlandian voulgiers in 1.2.0 weren't much worse than Sturgian shock troops. Shock troops would be better if they actually knew how to use their shields but they don't. You have to babysit any shock infantry behind heavy infantry shield wall and then there is little difference between different flavors of it because all the swing polearms are overpowered.
No they won't. You just said yourself that Sturgian top tier melee infantry is best in the game.
I said they are hardly better than legionaries and sergeants. Meaning the difference is marginal if there is any. A veteran warrior will win against a sergeant in one on one or even 100 on 100 because veteran warriors have javelins instead spears but that also bites them in the ass during a cavalry charge. But none of that will matter in an average battle because the way things work now most damage is being done by ranged units and sometimes cavalry while infantry only acts as a sponge that allows the archers to continue shooting uninterrupted. What's the point of having a slightly better meat shield (if that)?
Vlandian knights will wipe floor with those ranged units.
Not in every case. Palatine guards or fians would wipe out knights unless the latter dismount. They are also a lot more useful in proper battles with all kinds of units. Heavy cav can't mow down recruits so fast they break way before reaching your line. Fians can. They don't even take any casualties in most battles. You can have an entire 100% palatine guard or fian army, they can deal with any situation. Palatine guards aren't even a noble unit. It's a boring way to play but it just works.
And then there is the last thing -for a player non of this matters, because you can recruit what ever units you want. Nothing is preventing you to take Sturgian infantry, Vlandian cav and Batanian noble archers.
You were the one talking about unfair advatange players of other factions would have to deal with. I believe that none of this matters because AI is too dumb to deal with the player no matter what he fields. It's not a reason to give Sturgians a weak roster. With improved archers they will mostly be equal to Vlandia so that's good but the party templates still need to be worked on. I won't talk about economy because it's all over the place and not only in Sturgia.
AI armies are made of conscripts, upgrade rate for Vlandians makes absolutely no difference here.
I'd imagine that promoting toops faster is all the more useful if most of them are low tier. AI lords do promote their troops after battles and they do need to earn XP.

partyTemplates.xml as of 1.3.0. That's the parties they spawn with after being released or running away.
AI lords hire recruits from villages too and then promote their units, they don't just use troops they spawn with. The problem is some factions will very rarely recruit nobles or promote units to tier 4-5 where they get cav. Others get them for free. I have seen maybe 2 or 3 druzhinniks and farises in AI armies in 100+ hours of playing Bannerlord. I don't think I have ever seen a single khan's guard I haven't personally promoted. I once tried to starve out a Vlandian castle and was continuously attacked by their lords. I killed more than a hundred Vlandian noble cav myself by the time I gave up. It just isn't right.

OK, that makes sense then, but it also means that those are not army compositions you gone see in the field. Which is what matters here. The cav advantage of the Vlandians and Khuzaits is not going to be as large as in those templates.

It's 30%.

See, here's the problem. They don't get significantly better infantry. They get more or less what Vlandia and Empire get in infantry and cav. You don't get anything like Nord huscarls.

Sturgians are not Nords and Nords might had huscarls, but they did not got Druzhiniks, or any other cavalry for that matter. Sturgians are not Nords, no matter how much Nord fans want them to be . If people are disappointed from the fact that Sturgians are not Nords, then they should openly say so, instead of complaining how bad Sturgia is.

Sturgian archers seem to have been updated in 1.3.0 so they might be more okayish now. They still have bad arrows and armor though. At this point I'm pretty sure that Northern lamellar armor being that bad is some sort of a mistake because some units that get it actually get a protection downgrade nad I just saw Raganvad wearing the same armor in a tournament.

Sturgian T5 archers got +10 in the bow skill in 1.3.0, that's all. Not large enough buff to go from sucking badly to okayish. They were okeish already before the 1.3.0.

I'm not sure about elite menavliatons since I didn't use them but Vlandian voulgiers in 1.2.0 weren't much worse than Sturgian shock troops.

Warrazor is better weapon then vogue and Sturgian shock troops have shields.

Shock troops would be better if they actually knew how to use their shields but they don't. You have to babysit any shock infantry behind heavy infantry shield wall and then there is little difference between different flavors of it because all the swing polearms are overpowered.

Sturgian shock troops use the very same AI that every other unit in game. Including the way they use their shields.

I said they are hardly better than legionaries and sergeants. Meaning the difference is marginal if there is any. A veteran warrior will win against a sergeant in one on one or even 100 on 100 because veteran warriors have javelins instead spears but that also bites them in the ass during a cavalry charge. But none of that will matter in an average battle because the way things work now most damage is being done by ranged units and sometimes cavalry while infantry only acts as a sponge that allows the archers to continue shooting uninterrupted. What's the point of having a slightly better meat shield (if that)?

Most damage is done by ranged only because AI doesn't know how to use shieldwall and because AI armies are half composed of recruits without any shields to begin with. Against half competent player AI archers are near useless.

And as I have already said, Sturgian shock troops will cut through Vlandian elite knights like knife through butter. You can set up 1:1 custom battle if you don't believe me.

Not in every case. Palatine guards or fians would wipe out knights unless the latter dismount. They are also a lot more useful in proper battles with all kinds of units. Heavy cav can't mow down recruits so fast they break way before reaching your line. Fians can. They don't even take any casualties in most battles. You can have an entire 100% palatine guard or fian army, they can deal with any situation. Palatine guards aren't even a noble unit. It's a boring way to play but it just works.

Except the same works for Sturgian archers, if that's how you want to play against AI. It will work with any archers. It's not about Sturgians been bad faction, it's about AI having peasant armies that get's destroyed by ranged units.

So if your complain is that Sturgia sucks because it doesn't have the best archers in the game, then so does Vlandia. Except for some reason you people don't complain about Vlandia, do you?

If you are arguing that Sturgia in the game should be another archer heavy faction, then I certainly don't subscribe to that.

You were the one talking about unfair advatange players of other factions would have to deal with. I believe that none of this matters because AI is too dumb to deal with the player no matter what he fields. It's not a reason to give Sturgians a weak roster.

Sturgians doesn't have weak roster. All you guys were able to came up with is Sturgian roster is bad because "Sturgian archers suck". Except when checking hard fact that isn't the case. Sturgian roster have the best t5 infantry in the game. It have heavy cav that is just slightly worst then Vlandian knights. It have excellent javelin cavalry. It have 2H if you want to. And it's archers might not be the best in the game, but they are nowhere as bad as some people suggest. So what is Sturgian roster lacking? And no sorry, Sturgia isn't Nords, and it shouldn't be.

The only weak spot is T4 infantry. Which does hurt when you play as Sturgia, because you won't going to have all T5 army. They have godawfull body armor (10-12 ...it actually doesn't match armor they wear at all) and while they have spear and decent spear skill, theoretically making them better against cavalry then say Imperial equivalent, spears are underperforming in the game in general, even against cavalry. 2H and polearms are much better anti-cav weapon.

With improved archers they will mostly be equal to Vlandia so that's good but the party templates still need to be worked on. I won't talk about economy because it's all over the place and not only in Sturgia.

Those templates are for when lords re-spawn, , you yourself have said so. They are not what AI armies in the actual game looks like, because lords spawn only with limited number of troops and then go on to recruit from the villages and castles the rest.

I'd imagine that promoting toops faster is all the more useful if most of them are low tier. AI lords do promote their troops after battles and they do need to earn XP.

I didn't saw lords promote their soldiers after the battle, and I was curious about it. My ques is that is the money that is the limiting factor here, not the XP. And then AI armies actually have templates of how many of which tier troops they should have, they might not promote beyond that.

OK, that makes sense then, but it also means that those are not army compositions you gone see in the field.
You will if a faction loses a big battle. If a Vlandian army gets defeated they come back a day later with more than a dozen tier 3-5 cav units. Sturgian or Aserai will come back with mostly low and mid tier infantry. It matters a lot when Vlandia, Khuzaits and Battanians start to snowball and respawning Sturgians and Aserai can't do anything about it. If you play as a Sturgian vassal you have to carry your entire faction because they can't do it by themselves against Vlandians and Khuzaits. Them starting at war with Vlandia in the beginning of the game doesn't help.
Those party templates will also be what you mostly see when you are dominating an AI faction and don't execute them. They keep coming back with their initial parties and some recruits thrown in. It's a very different experience when you invade Vlandia and Sturgia even though their rosters are fairly similar. Again, I'm not even sure if I have ever seen druzhinniks in AI parties because their lords have to stumble upon those rare noble recruits in villages and promote them all the way to tier 5. They will be basically just sea raiders not even getting the mounted bonus in autoresolve until that point. Hardly any survive to get their horse. Fighting knights when you invade Vlandia, on the other hand, is business as usual. Vlandian lords get gallants and champions out of thin air every time they spawn.
Sturgians are not Nords and Nords might had huscarls, but they did not got Druzhiniks, or any other cavalry for that matter. Sturgians are not Nords, no matter how much Nord fans want them to be . If people are disappointed from the fact that Sturgians are not Nords, then they should openly say so, instead of complaining how bad Sturgia is.
I don't want Strugia to be Nords. That's why I'm complaining about the so called infantry focus. If they don't get Nord huscalrs then they shouldn't be getting useless Nord archers either. If we continue to pretend that their infantry is good enough to justify it being called "infantry focus" then they should be geting something like Nord huscarls. I'd prefer them to have a more balanced roster resembling Vaegirs but Nord archers and no Nord huscarls is just a joke.
Sturgian T5 archers got +10 in the bow skill in 1.3.0, that's all. Not large enough buff to go from sucking badly to okayish. They were okeish already before the 1.3.0.
I said maybe. Additional rate of fire and accuracy might be enough for them to shoot peasants without me wishing to go and hire some forest bandits instead. They are still worse than even Khuzait foot archers even at shooting peasants because the bow and arrows Khuzaits get are better.
Except the same works for Sturgian archers
Yes. Except everyone else's ranged units are better at it. Which is my original point. You've got yourself a shield wall that might (or might not) be slightly better than Vlandian and Imperial counterparts if you only have tier 5 units. That's great, what are you going to do with it? You can play defensively as Sturgia but even Khuzaits on foot are better at it because ranged is a lot more important than infantry for defensive playstyle.
Warrazor is better weapon then vogue
Barely. Nobody tests voulgiers nearly as extensively becuase infantry isn't supposed to be Vlandia's selling point. They destroy knights 1 for 1 too. Heavy cav isn't all that good on its own in Bannerlord and swing polearms are just ridiculously powerful. You will never encounter a situation where polearm infantry fights heavy cav on its own outside of custom battles though. They will just get destroyed by ranged if left alone without directions in a normal battle.
Sturgian shock troops have shields.
Sturgian shock troops use the very same AI that every other unit in game. Including the way they use their shields.
Shock troops have a shield and a 2h weapon. AI can't deal with that. When enemies come close they start whipping out their warrazors and die to missiles quickly if you put them in a shield wall with the rest. They have to be placed behind a hill or other units and at that point why even have a shield?
So if your complain is that Sturgia sucks because it doesn't have the best archers in the game, then so does Vlandia. Except for some reason you people don't complain about Vlandia, do you?
Vlandians are not the best ranged units but they can shoot across half the map with their crossbows. Their armor is also a bit better and they have massive shields. If veteran bowmen were this good I would have no complaints.

As far as AI battling each other go, "simulated" battles consider unit levels and whether units are mounted (a flat multiplier to level based strength of the unit card). Thus factions with a lot of cav and nobles get advantage in AI wars. Let's look at party templates.
Empire: 63 men total, 7 cav, 7 nobles
Khuzait: 57 men total, 19 cav, 0 nobles
I feel like there are indeed some factions here that have unfair advantage but I'm not sure if Sturgia is one of them.

Now let's do players. There is an obvious hole in Sturgian troop tree, their top tier archers have low tier bows and arrows and mid tier medium armor. They aren't comparable in any way to tier 5 ranged units of any other faction. Are there some other units in the Sturgian troop tree that justify their ranged being trash? Druzhinniks are basically Vlandian knights but slightly worse due to some questionable equipment pieces and are a pain to upgrade because they only get a horse at tier 4. Veteran warriors are good but hardly better than legionaries and sergeants. That leaves us with shock infantry and skirmish cavalry. I really doubt those are great enough to pull Sturgia up by its bootstraps.

Obviously, as a player in all your wisdom, you can lure the AI into attacking your shield wall and play as Sturgia in that way. You can also do it with any faction. In fact, every faction will be better at it than Sturgia, even Khuzaits on foot. Their ranged units will just slaughter half the enemy army by the time they get to melee. Empire and Battania won't even need a shiled wall, they can spam archers and win every time.

Sturgians get -20% to snow penalty, not + 20% to movement in snow. If the the penalty itself is 20% then the effective bonus is +5%. Is the penalty itself even implemented by the way? Meanwhile Vlandians upgrade their already bs knight armies 20% faster and Khuzaits get +10% to movement bonus from cav everywhere on the map. I certainly hope that these traits don't work for AI parties because it would just exacerbate the issue if they do.
Yeah, nailed it. +1

Sturiga has bad lord ,bad terrain,bad economics.Now they lose their infantry
i know taleworlds maybe can not notice sturgia because they have more important things to do
but the balance is still too **** sorry i am very sad with this
Recruitment is too low. City/village concentration AND amount is too low that's the problem but they probably won't fix that so bye bye sturgia for this game.They are just horrible. Not one player I have seen has defended them successfully on realistic.

Population density determines recruitability.
I zoomed out the camera a bit and checked a random battania density: 18 areas. 3 cities, 4 castles and 11 villages. The best I could find in sturgia at the same zoom is 12: 2 cities, 2 castles, 8 villages. That makes a HUGE difference.

i support you

Sturgians get -20% to snow penalty, not + 20% to movement in snow. If the the penalty itself is 20% then the effective bonus is +5%. Is the penalty itself even implemented by the way? Meanwhile Vlandians upgrade their already bs knight armies 20% faster and Khuzaits get +10% to movement bonus from cav everywhere on the map.
And if penalty is 40% then bonus is +10%. You also don't know if it's -20% FROM the penalty or -20% TO the penalty. If the later and penalty was 20%, then Sturgians would effectively not suffer from snow penalty at all.
Emmmm guys...there is no penalty for the snow in the game right now.... At all.
Just play the game and see.

You can say that it is UI bug, but no, game just doesnt detect any snow.
unknown.png

So their faction bonus doesnt exist.

Last edited:
You will if a faction loses a big battle. If a Vlandian army gets defeated they come back a day later with more than a dozen tier 3-5 cav units.
That's not going to help them given they come with half empty armies. Besides, in 1.3.0 they should stop coming. Instead they should go recruiting.

Sturgian or Aserai will come back with mostly low and mid tier infantry. It matters a lot when Vlandia, Khuzaits and Battanians start to snowball and respawning Sturgians and Aserai can't do anything about it. If you play as a Sturgian vassal you have to carry your entire faction because they can't do it by themselves against Vlandians and Khuzaits.

They will be basically just sea raiders not even getting the mounted bonus in autoresolve until that point. Hardly any survive to get their horse. Fighting knights when you invade Vlandia, on the other hand, is business as usual. Vlandian lords get gallants and champions out of thin air every time they spawn.

AI armies have lover % of the cavalry then templates due to recruitment and mounted soldier still gets just 30% advantage from been mounted. If say Vlandian army have 20% cavalry and Sturgian 5%, which is much closer to reality then the template, then you are talking about overall advantage of just 4.5%. That's negligible compared to million other random factors.

I said maybe. Additional rate of fire and accuracy might be enough for them to shoot peasants without me wishing to go and hire some forest bandits instead. They are still worse than even Khuzait foot archers even at shooting peasants because the bow and arrows Khuzaits get are better.

If you want best archers in the game, then go Batania. Every other faction sucks in comparison. It's not like Kuzait archers suck significantly less then Sturgian ones in comparison to Batanian champions.

Yes. Except everyone else's ranged units are better at it. Which is my original point.

I have already posted actual stats. They show that Sturgian archers are not significantly worst then Kuzait or Imperial ones.

You've got yourself a shield wall that might (or might not) be slightly better than Vlandian and Imperial counterparts if you only have tier 5 units. That's great, what are you going to do with it?

Walk them to Kuzait archers and wipe the floor with them.

Barely. Nobody tests voulgiers nearly as extensively becuase infantry isn't supposed to be Vlandia's selling point. They destroy knights 1 for 1 too. Heavy cav isn't all that good on its own in Bannerlord and swing polearms are just ridiculously powerful. You will never encounter a situation where polearm infantry fights heavy cav on its own outside of custom battles though. They will just get destroyed by ranged if left alone without directions in a normal battle.

Except you will never encounter a situation where polearm infantry fights archers on its own outside of the custom battles either.

Shock troops have a shield and a 2h weapon. AI can't deal with that. When enemies come close they start whipping out their warrazors and die to missiles quickly if you put them in a shield wall with the rest. They have to be placed behind a hill or other units and at that point why even have a shield?

When enemies come close they are going to obstruct line of fire of the archers and you can always split your Sturgians in to two groups and put one in the shieldwall while placing the other behind them.

But then again it's irrelevant given you are not going to encounter situation like that outside of the custom battles. In the actual game you are not going to counter enemy archers with 2H polearms, you are going to counter them by cavalry while sending your polearms after enemy cavalry.

Vlandians are not the best ranged units but they can shoot across half the map with their crossbows. Their armor is also a bit better and they have massive shields. If veteran bowmen were this good I would have no complaints.

Do you realize that some faction in the game is inevitably going to have "the worst archers"? Because if you make Sturgian ones better, some others will become worst. Then what? You will complain about that faction been bad?

Sturgia already have strongest infantry in the game and decent cavalry. There's no reason why they should have also strong archers. Besides Sturgian archers are just marginally worst then archers of other factions.

Every faction have a focus, Sturgian focus is not archery. That's Batanian one. And there's nothing wrong about it.

Population density determines recruitability.
I zoomed out the camera a bit and checked a random battania density: 18 areas. 3 cities, 4 castles and 11 villages. The best I could find in sturgia at the same zoom is 12: 2 cities, 2 castles, 8 villages. That makes a HUGE difference.
This is the problem I found as well. On the other hand, Asarais have a similar territory, but they don't have massive forest that slow down the recruiting party. So I suggested an exclusive recruitment system for the fief owners: Fief Recruitment

This is the problem I found as well. On the other hand, Asarais have a similar territory, but they don't have massive forest that slow down the recruiting party. So I suggested an exclusive recruitment system for the fief owners: Fief Recruitment
This is the only problem that matters for Sturgia. Arguing over stats is NOTHING compared to this. 17 of Sturgias main areas is equal in volume to 40 of Khuzaits
They can just outrecruit you. Make whatever troop you want it won't matter. Aserai are close but still have more settlements even with the lack of forest.

Sturgia needs several things to be a competitive faction that isn't free real estate for calradia to eat up when ragnavad inevitably declares war on everyone.
1. Better party templates. 0 Nobles is frankly absurd, EVERY faction should get at least 5 nobles. I'd prefer there to be no party templates as that is sort of what was intended for Bannerlord, but the AI probably needs it (unless taleworlds adds a training skill tied to leadership, that'd be nice instead of making the AI cheat). The fact is, if 1 sturgian lord gets into a fight with 1 khuzait lord, based on their template alone, the sturgian will lose every single time. Sturgia simply cannot compete in any battle of equal size. I like the fact that they have druzhinniks as their nobles, since they're supposed to be a slavic faction with nord/steppe influence, but you will NEVER see a sturgian with noble troops. Yet another disadvantage. Even if they manage to recruit some nobles from a village, the noble will most likely die before being trained up into a druzhinnik since they do not get horses until tier 5 - another disadvantage. Compare this to every other noble unit and you will see sturgia at a clear disadvantage. Even Fian are better and easier to train than druzhinniks for the AI due to the fact they are the best archers around - they don't need horses.
2. Better village economy and production. Sturgia's tier 6 nobles are cavalry. Sturgia also has 0 villages that produce horses. This is a huge problem. I did not even know Tyal horses were in the game until marrying Svana and saw she had a very good horse. Villages not only lack horse breeding in Sturgia, they also greatly lack the furs, iron, and silver that were said to have made Sturgia one of the wealthiest lands in lore. In game, they are always the poorest, producing usually flax or fish.
3. Map redesign specifically for Sturgia. I like the shape of Sturgia, actually, in the far north with some very strategic locations. The problem is, only Revyl and Warcheg benefit from this isolation. Every other town is way too far apart for any faction to reliably defend with the standard 5000 manpower. It takes about 6 days to travel from Ustokol Castle to Tyal. Neyvansk Castle requires you to run through Battania to defend it. Any time Sturgia goes to war, they are at the greatest disadvantage of any faction simply because of how far spread out they are and how long it takes to go from one end to the other. Aserai is comparable, but there are no forests in the desert, and thus its easier to travel across. But other than the Aserai, every other faction has a better geographic and strategic layout than Sturgia. All of Battanian land is in a condense highland with only a few entry points. Vlandia is the dominant faction in the West that only needs to look East for enemies. They have several towns and are all decently close together - easy to defend for one army. Khuzaits are similar and only have to look West. The imperial factions, despite being surrounded on all fronts, still have very good town positioning, and it is easy for them to defend all towns with only one army. What needs to be down for Sturgia is simple - cut them off entirely from the Khuzaits. There needs to be a massive, impassable strait between Tyal and Dinar Castle. This way, Sturgia can focus on a single front, rather than being forced to march across the entire map if they go to war with more than one faction.

Sturgia already have strongest infantry in the game and decent cavalry
No
In fact, the infantry of sturgia is not the best,sometimes ,they can not win the segeant of Vlandian or empire's infantry, and their cavalry is worse! were you really notice this? i had do lots of test about it and the result is sturgia is weak

Sturgia needs several things to be a competitive faction that isn't free real estate for calradia to eat up when ragnavad inevitably declares war on everyone.
1. Better party templates. 0 Nobles is frankly absurd, EVERY faction should get at least 5 nobles. I'd prefer there to be no party templates as that is sort of what was intended for Bannerlord, but the AI probably needs it (unless taleworlds adds a training skill tied to leadership, that'd be nice instead of making the AI cheat). The fact is, if 1 sturgian lord gets into a fight with 1 khuzait lord, based on their template alone, the sturgian will lose every single time. Sturgia simply cannot compete in any battle of equal size. I like the fact that they have druzhinniks as their nobles, since they're supposed to be a slavic faction with nord/steppe influence, but you will NEVER see a sturgian with noble troops. Yet another disadvantage. Even if they manage to recruit some nobles from a village, the noble will most likely die before being trained up into a druzhinnik since they do not get horses until tier 5 - another disadvantage. Compare this to every other noble unit and you will see sturgia at a clear disadvantage. Even Fian are better and easier to train than druzhinniks for the AI due to the fact they are the best archers around - they don't need horses.
2. Better village economy and production. Sturgia's tier 6 nobles are cavalry. Sturgia also has 0 villages that produce horses. This is a huge problem. I did not even know Tyal horses were in the game until marrying Svana and saw she had a very good horse. Villages not only lack horse breeding in Sturgia, they also greatly lack the furs, iron, and silver that were said to have made Sturgia one of the wealthiest lands in lore. In game, they are always the poorest, producing usually flax or fish.
3. Map redesign specifically for Sturgia. I like the shape of Sturgia, actually, in the far north with some very strategic locations. The problem is, only Revyl and Warcheg benefit from this isolation. Every other town is way too far apart for any faction to reliably defend with the standard 5000 manpower. It takes about 6 days to travel from Ustokol Castle to Tyal. Neyvansk Castle requires you to run through Battania to defend it. Any time Sturgia goes to war, they are at the greatest disadvantage of any faction simply because of how far spread out they are and how long it takes to go from one end to the other. Aserai is comparable, but there are no forests in the desert, and thus its easier to travel across. But other than the Aserai, every other faction has a better geographic and strategic layout than Sturgia. All of Battanian land is in a condense highland with only a few entry points. Vlandia is the dominant faction in the West that only needs to look East for enemies. They have several towns and are all decently close together - easy to defend for one army. Khuzaits are similar and only have to look West. The imperial factions, despite being surrounded on all fronts, still have very good town positioning, and it is easy for them to defend all towns with only one army. What needs to be down for Sturgia is simple - cut them off entirely from the Khuzaits. There needs to be a massive, impassable strait between Tyal and Dinar Castle. This way, Sturgia can focus on a single front, rather than being forced to march across the entire map if they go to war with more than one faction.
u r right

In fact, the infantry of sturgia is not the best,sometimes ,they can not win the segeant of Vlandian or empire's infantry, and their cavalry is worse! were you really notice this? i had do lots of test about it and the result is sturgia is weak
You are speaking like quality of infantry in this game means anything. They need to block arrows and thats all.
May be it change autoresolve battles, but i am not sure what matters in autoresolve.

"Empire: 63 men total, 7 cav, 7 nobles
Khuzait: 57 men total, 19 cav, 0 nobles "

I guess that + their lands are the reasons why they die so fast on the map.

And about their troops - just look on Nexus how many Sturgiam troops reworks we have there.

Last edited:
No

There's the threat on the redit somewhere where somebody tested unit tiet to tier. Sturgian Veteran Warriors and Shock Troops beat every other equivalent in the game. Only tier 5 Imperial sword infantry could fight Veterans in to a draw. And that was before Sturgian stats were fixed. It was posted couple of times here as well.

Back
Top Bottom