Sturgians Design?

Users who are viewing this thread

It is my belief that the Sturgians are early Nords that traveled eastwards instead of southwards to Calradia. The real-world equivalent would make the concept of the Sturgians "russian vikings" or more commonly just called "The rus" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_people).

I will theorize further that after the fall of the empire, the Battanians will have been vanquished and then immigrated into the Sturgian countryside, slowly over time having their bowman skills adapted into the Sturgian army and the Sturgians eventually become the Vaegir.

The Vaegir Guard and the Vaegir Marksmen represent both Sturgian and Battanian warriors respectively

NachoDawg said:
It is my belief that the Sturgians are early Nords that traveled eastwards instead of southwards to Calradia. The real-world equivalent would make the concept of the Sturgians "russian vikings" or more commonly just called "The rus" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_people).

I will theorize further that after the fall of the empire, the Battanians will have been vanquished and then immigrated into the Sturgian countryside, slowly over time having their bowman skills adapted into the Sturgian army and the Sturgians eventually become the Vaegir.

The Vaegir Guard and the Vaegir Marksmen represent both Sturgian and Battanian warriors respectively

What about the popular theory circulating right now that the forest bandits in Warband are actually remenants of the Battanians faction that was wiped out?

lolbash said:
What about the popular theory circulating right now that the forest bandits in Warband are actually remenants of the Battanians faction that was wiped out?

I think both theories can be true at the same time :party:

The same was that Vlandia became Swadia and Rhodok, Battania can split into Vaegir and Forrest Bandits

Maybe some Battanians wanted to stay and fight while others joined/defected to the Sturgians, that's not a big stretch of the imagination

Horik6697 said:
578 said:
Sturgians ARE the viking faction. The introduction to factions blog post using exactly those words. How this plays out, we shall see next month (I am pretty sure Sturgia blog is the next faction blog)

I would like to see where you got that information, could not find it :/ .

First of all: scope. You can't say "this is viking" or "that is viking" because this goes out of the game's scope. We don't have vikings in Bannerlord, neither in Warband. Period. What we have on the native Mount & Blade are just representations, concepts.

Battanians are the original inhabitants of Calradia, they're not raiders/vikings and they're inspired in Celtic/Welsh/Irish cultures. That's a fact stated by the game developers and arguing about this is pointless. Maybe they'll have some Germanic traits, but they're not vikings. Sturgians, on the other hand, seems to represent the viking culture and represent the nords, but we can't say that they're the ancestors of nords, since nords came from abroad. What intrigues me is: will the Sturgian troop tree ressemble the Vaegirs? Because Battanians are the best archers and have cavalry, but they can't be the direct ancestors of Vaegir since the culture is very discrepant... Maybe Vaegirs are a Sturgia/Battania mix after the nord invasion...

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/8

One new feature that we hope will add a lot of color is minor factions: outlaws and mercenaries based on historical or legendary bands like the Jomsvikings or the Fianna of Ireland.

For Sturgia, the Viking-style faction for example we chose strong, deep sounding Davul drums, Dulcimer and the Nyckelharpa. The track starts with an earthy and stoic Davul pattern before the Nyckelharpa kicks in to play the
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/11

thanks, that's pretty consistent information. Well, for sure with the next blog we will be able to mend all the pieces and trace down the origins from Sturgia and even the Vaegirs... Maybe thats why they're taking so long to release the sturgian blog: they must find a convincent plot for Vaegirs and Sturgia occupying the same geographic region. :lol:

578 said:
Horik6697 said:
578 said:
Sturgians ARE the viking faction. The introduction to factions blog post using exactly those words. How this plays out, we shall see next month (I am pretty sure Sturgia blog is the next faction blog)

I would like to see where you got that information, could not find it :/ .

First of all: scope. You can't say "this is viking" or "that is viking" because this goes out of the game's scope. We don't have vikings in Bannerlord, neither in Warband. Period. What we have on the native Mount & Blade are just representations, concepts.

Battanians are the original inhabitants of Calradia, they're not raiders/vikings and they're inspired in Celtic/Welsh/Irish cultures. That's a fact stated by the game developers and arguing about this is pointless. Maybe they'll have some Germanic traits, but they're not vikings. Sturgians, on the other hand, seems to represent the viking culture and represent the nords, but we can't say that they're the ancestors of nords, since nords came from abroad. What intrigues me is: will the Sturgian troop tree ressemble the Vaegirs? Because Battanians are the best archers and have cavalry, but they can't be the direct ancestors of Vaegir since the culture is very discrepant... Maybe Vaegirs are a Sturgia/Battania mix after the nord invasion...

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/8

One new feature that we hope will add a lot of color is minor factions: outlaws and mercenaries based on historical or legendary bands like the Jomsvikings or the Fianna of Ireland.

For Sturgia, the Viking-style faction for example we chose strong, deep sounding Davul drums, Dulcimer and the Nyckelharpa. The track starts with an earthy and stoic Davul pattern before the Nyckelharpa kicks in to play the
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/11

Quite an old blog, I hope the Sturgian faction blog clarifies everything.

AmateurHetman said:
That or Imperial. We only really have 3 faction blogs left (if the imperial ones aren't separate); Aserai, Imperial and Sturgia. I wonder what blogs they'll do afterwards, hopefully some lore or gameplay mechanics.

ooh, that one about releasing would be great too!  :lol:  :lol:

I would not be surprised if they released one devblog about each empire tho...

Which would give them around 6 weeks to complete the factions. (10 weeks if we have every empire separate.)
What will they talk about then? Keeping in mind every other week they have a dev interview.

Horik6697 said:
Sturgia blog is on! And they're not Vikings! :lol:  And they're Kiev Rus and have cavalry, so probably they're Vaegirs antecessors...

True, and I think you're right about the Vaegirs but this:

But, if players want to have a west Scandinavian-style play experience, the raiding, the companions, the ring-swords, two-handed axes, Valsgarde helmets, hauberks and raven banners will all be there

Makes me happy, the left most helmet I originally posted is a Valsgarde helm.

Cale said:
Horik6697 said:
Sturgia blog is on! And they're not Vikings! :lol:  And they're Kiev Rus and have cavalry, so probably they're Vaegirs antecessors...

True, and I think you're right about the Vaegirs but this:

But, if players want to have a west Scandinavian-style play experience, the raiding, the companions, the ring-swords, two-handed axes, Valsgarde helmets, hauberks and raven banners will all be there

Makes me happy, the left most helmet I originally posted is a Valsgarde helm.

Yes, and it's also very cool that they're not vikings because, let's be honest, they're super hyped right now. This gives more authenticity to the game design, beyond being a leverage to wake interest in other cultures that are not widely discussed, like the rus.

I am glad that slavic players are very happy with this.
This game is more popular in Balkans and Russia than it is in Scandinavian countries after all. :wink:

'Sturgia is Nordic-influenced but it's not really a Viking state: '

Meaning there will be some Nord in their flavour. It's basically a mixture, which is really cool in my opinion. If you want a predominately Viking style play, there are minor factions that cater to that.

Seems there is a bit of everything for all cultures.  :party:

578 said:
The master race is now a minor faction. How times change.

This is a really cool player opportunity, no? Do we know if minor faction leaders can usurp major faction leaders? Rallying a splinter group of Nords to wrest control of the north seems like fun

Footbeard said:
578 said:
The master race is now a minor faction. How times change.

This is a really cool player opportunity, no? Do we know if minor faction leaders can usurp major faction leaders? Rallying a splinter group of Nords to wrest control of the north seems like fun

Good question, I asked Callum for info about minor factions. He said "maybe" in a future blog. Let's hope so aye  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom