Sturgian Noble Line: Infantry or Cavalry?

Should Sturgia have Noble Infantry or Cavalry?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

BruisedByGod

Recruit
One of my biggest disappointments is the lack of a truly elite infantry line in Bannerlord and Sturgia's lore suggests that it would fit them perfectly, but instead they have a heavy cavalry line extremely similar to the Imperial Factions and Vlandia. I figured I would post a poll and see if others felt strongly about this issue. Since release is drawing closer it seems less likely something this large will be changed but it would make the game a lot more enjoyable to play since it gives Sturgia a more unique identity and would also allow full noble armies to be assembled if the player wanted to go that route.

I think its current state of starting off as a Scandinavian-style infantry and ending as a Slavic-style cavalry is acceptable, since it represents the source material and provides their main melee cavalry option. The only change I'd make is giving them a kite shield at t3 to look more Slavic

A true bad ass heavy infantry with 1h axe + shield and a 2h axe.
Like you I was disappointed to see that Sturgian noble troop was a cavalry...

If Taleworlds is doing DLC - which they almost definitely are, judging by some of Armagan's past statements and the elephant model - then a Jumne/Nordland DLC is also highly likely. In which case it will be good for Sturgia to be as different from Jumne/Nordland as possible. And Nordland can be the one to have elite noble infantry.

I think people need to accept that Sturgia isn't the Nord faction of Warband. It's a Slavic faction with viking influences, but the true Nord faction that's present in Warband has yet to invade Calradia in the lore.

Like Five Bucks says, if there's DLCs in the future a Nord Invasion DLC would be one of the most likely to happen. It would be a no-brainer, lore friendly and something fans would want. With that, we'd have the true viking themed faction with the top noble infantry line in the game and hopefully a sailing mechanic, since there's already mods with that :wink:.

The devs themselves stated that Sturgia is the resident faction for nord lovers in BL
Lets have a look at what they said about Sturgia. The key quotes:-

The Sturgians are based on the federation of city-states known as Kievan Rus, located in today's Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. Like many boomtowns, the Rus river cities attracted people from faraway lands. Predominantly Slavic communities were forming into states at a breakneck pace and borrowing institutions, religions, and ways of trade and war from their neighbours. Greek missionaries, Finnic foresters, Turkic and Iranian steppe tribes, and most famously the Varangian Norse all left their mark on the aesthetics of Russian art, arms and armour

Sturgia is Nordic-influenced but it's not really a Viking state: the Nordlands are off of the map (for the present, anyway) and they wouldn't really form the kind of proto-feudal kingdom that the Bannerlord factions represent. But, if players want to have a west Scandinavian-style play experience, the raiding, the companions, the ring-swords, two-handed axes, Valsgarde helmets, hauberks and raven banners will all be there

So it couldn't be any clearer like I said - Sturgia are a Slavic faction with nord style influences. It makes perfect sense for them to have the cavalry noble line with round shield infantry. Lets not forget that Sturgia eventually warp into the Vaegirs by the time of Warband, and the true Nord faction has invaded and taken the western lands that Sturgia used to hold.

I do hope this distinction is there on purpose because they plan to introduce the Nord faction in a chunky DLC expansion - I can't imagine many fans of the series who wouldn't like to see that happen.

Last edited:
There is another reason so typical for many European cultures (that time) - nobles were not supposed to be on the ground with lesser ppl but to ride above them unlike for example Mongols where not birth but skill dictated possition in society much more:smile:

I think the special units from the minor factions should be available somewhere in the map, I don't know how but that's quite a bummer to have those factions having a separate unit tree fiddling on the world map without offering to the player the possibility to recruit them properly.

There is another reason so typical for many European cultures (that time) - nobles were not supposed to be on the ground with lesser ppl but to ride above them unlike for example Mongols where not birth but skill dictated possition in society much more:smile:

Curious to know where in time do you position yourself on this message ? Especially when you quote the Mongols.

Curious to know where in time do you position yourself on this message ? Especially when you quote the Mongols.
Not me, European cultures of that time, today we do not have nobles riding horses (at least not much):smile:

(Though today we have plenty of "nobles" driving big SUVs in the centre of the road as if it was just for them looking at anothers (in regular cars) as lessers driving above them.)

Last edited:
I think its current state of starting off as a Scandinavian-style infantry and ending as a Slavic-style cavalry is acceptable

I support here. Scandinavians formed huge state Kievan Rus. Firstly it had excellent Scandinavian-style infantry, but they had to change warfare to cavalry style. Mostly because they had strong cavalry enemies. So everything is right here.

Last edited:
Scandinavian-style infantry in Rus (Vikings/Varangians) had to fight against cavalry like here

So as excellent fighters they formed cavalry known as Druginniki

Modern Russian historians write now that any Knyaz's (Prinсe's) army after baptism of Rus was only cavalry from professional millitary society. Most known battles are considered now as cavalry ones from Russian side.

For example, place of Kulikov's battle (1380) was found recently and considered as fight of heavy Russian cavalry against Mongol's army.

Here Russian language lecture of historian who found place of battle:

Last edited:
Stay as cav because Sturgia really doesn't need to take the throne vacated by Empire factions, who struggled mightily with low cav numbers.

Back
Top Bottom