Sturgia Terrain Needs Rework

Users who are viewing this thread

Arkyll

Recruit
To traverse Sturgia you have to haul your ass through a single forest chokepoint to get to Tyal, taking your army days to get from one side to the other.
It also looks like crap on the map and doesnt make sense logistically.

There is a large section of Sturgia (north of Vladiv castle) that leads to nowhere and is impassable when it doesnt have to be.
This area needs to be carved out so there is at least two passages from one side to the other.

This is important because Sturgia's dodgy terrain may be one of the reasons why it does so terribly as a faction. When one side of the faction is threatened, all the lords have to drag themselves through a giant sosig of thick forestry and mountainous canyon to get there, this takes forever and I dont think the lords tend to make it in time.

I agree especially since that choke point is usually filled with many sea raider parties making it very dangerous for the already weakened caravans.
There are a couple more places on the map like that (although not as bad as the one you mentioned) where the passage is to narrow where you can't avoid other parties even though it seems like there is enough room.

Cheers,

Marty

so, youre getting not just snow penalty, which is somewhat reduced, you get forest on tp and then wonder, how come they get destroyed ?

my current game 1089, they have belegrad. Strength 434. West taken by kelts, east taken by wannabe mongols or whatever.

This is important because Sturgia's dodgy terrain may be one of the reasons why it does so terribly as a faction. When one side of the faction is threatened, all the lords have to drag themselves through a giant sosig of thick forestry and mountainous canyon to get there, this takes forever and I dont think the lords tend to make it in time.

Except that works against enemy too. It's not like those are just Sturgians that have to traverse slow terrains when fighting in Sturgia.

Except that works against enemy too. It's not like those are just Sturgians that have to traverse slow terrains when fighting in Sturgia.

The problem is that it's near the middle of their territory so it really only affect Sturgians.

The problem is that it's near the middle of their territory so it really only affect Sturgians.

Invaders will attack the most westerly and easterly towns and castles, so it is not affecting them half as much.

It will affect Sturgian defenders forced to crawl through snow and forest for ages to break it off.

I agree. This is a part of a problem. Sturgia needs a serious rework, not just the terrain. I am trying to play as Sturgian vassal and it is nearly impossible to achieve anything of notion. The day is around 1100 and we are just walking in circles fighting for the same cities and castles over and over again, from one end of the map to another. Also, lord spawning instantly with armies of recruits is bull****. I am really tired of slaughtering thousands of recruits only to have this very same lord come back to me in a matter of days. Breaks the balance of war and takes the sence away from battles. It makes me feel like I have really very small impact over the game.

I wish that was the only problem about sturgia. In my current campaign(2nd) I decided to form my own kingdom with 116 men if I might add. These sturgian bois decided that I was too big a threat for them and declared war on me at my 2nd day as a king. So they came with 963 men and sieged mecalovea Castle just to starve and leave the place before they can even build their siege tower. I chased them and won a 116vs 463 men battle to farm a huge renown and cash and take 400 or so prisoners(all the starving guys from the original 963 men army). Everything sturgian needs a major rework. Druzhinnik sucks despite the cost and effort to make them champions. Sturgian shock troops die instantly ulfhednars as well. I can't fathom how an almost fully horse archer nomad nation can beat a heavily armed and armored viking-ish nation in 460 days. Sure they can raid and vanish the good old hit and run tactics but at an all out field battle, those horse archers would be decimated or forced to rout once most of their arrows end up on Broad viking shields.

I wish that was the only problem about sturgia. In my current campaign(2nd) I decided to form my own kingdom with 116 men if I might add. These sturgian bois decided that I was too big a threat for them and declared war on me at my 2nd day as a king. So they came with 963 men and sieged mecalovea Castle just to starve and leave the place before they can even build their siege tower.

That's not the Strugian specific problem, that's the problem all AI armies have. Devs are aware about it and working on it:
Armies will care their food more (they were dying because of starving much and their food management is a bit developed).
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...o-patch-for-2-days.417945/page-2#post-9387135

Everything sturgian needs a major rework.

I like how you people play one faction, suck in it and decide that it's the faction that sucks and not you the player.

Druzhinnik sucks despite the cost and effort to make them champions.

They do fine. Any heavy cavalry is OP in the game.

Sturgian shock troops die instantly ulfhednars as well.

Strugian shock troops are the best top tier infantry in their class and will beat any other same tier same class troops 1 on 1.

I can't fathom how an almost fully horse archer nomad nation can beat a heavily armed and armored viking-ish nation in 460 days. Sure they can raid and vanish the good old hit and run tactics but at an all out field battle, those horse archers would be decimated or forced to rout once most of their arrows end up on Broad viking shields.

AI combat resolution doesn't care if nations are horse archers or viking-ish. All it cares about is tier of the troops. And Mongols beat Russians in less then 460 days, so there is historical precedent for you to fathom.

That's not the Strugian specific problem, that's the problem all AI armies have. Devs are aware about it and working on it:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...o-patch-for-2-days.417945/page-2#post-9387135

I like how you people play one faction, suck in it and decide that it's the faction that sucks and not you the player.

They do fine. Any heavy cavalry is OP in the game.

Strugian shock troops are the best top tier infantry in their class and will beat any other same tier same class troops 1 on 1.

AI combat resolution doesn't care if nations are horse archers or viking-ish. All it cares about is tier of the troops. And Mongols beat Russians in less then 460 days, so there is historical precedent for you to fathom.
And I love how you fanbois like to blame the players for being bad. No the AI design is bad no the auto resolve is bad no the coding is bad and no Mongols weren't like khuzaits and no Russians weren't like sturgians. Mongols consisted of heavy cavalry using shock and awe tactics while khuzaits are nomads consisting of 70% infantry and the rest is mixed cavalry just like any other nation so the point of my post was the AI is damn well broken and it shouldn't have been after I dont know how many years of development

And Mongols beat Russians in less then 460 days, so there is historical precedent for you to fathom.

You have to bare in mind that Sturgia has a severe identity crisis.

They use Norse style arms and armor and simultaneously Eastern European style.
Makes me think that they were going for two different factions but merged them into one at some point.

I have to say that on the battle side, I have not found a problem. Sturgia has been winning battles even at a minor disadvantage 4/5 times in my campaign. - It is hard to say though, because armies consist of 70% peasants...

Military power however, Sturgia seems to be lacking most of the time, with troop counts about 40% lower than anyone else during wartime.

Sturgia's crappy terrain does make it less appealing to raid, but raiding is currently a bit pants, and bores little resolve.

Mongols consisted of heavy cavalry using shock and awe tactics while khuzaits are nomads consisting of 70% infantry and the rest is mixed cavalry just like any other nation so the point of my post was the AI is damn well broken and it shouldn't have been after I dont know how many years of development

The Mongols used mixed cavalry too. Heavy cavalry, horse archers and somewhere between.

Khuzaits are not Mongols, no. Some sort of weird Turkic imitation.

Last edited:
You have to bare in mind that Sturgia has a severe identity crisis.

They use Norse style arms and armor and simultaneously Eastern European style.
Makes me think that they were going for two different factions but merged them into one at some point.

That's what medieval Russia, the culture Strugia is based on was using. Every kingdom in Calradia is based on some Medieval culture and devs did a fine job representing them in my opinion as far as their equipment goes.

Military power however, Sturgia seems to be lacking most of the time, with troop counts about 40% lower than anyone else during wartime.

Sturgia's crappy terrain does make it less appealing to raid, but raiding is currently a bit pants, and bores little resolve.

All AI factions use exact same AI. It's not like Sturgia have some special inferior AI that makes it weaker. Sturgia got gang raped because it borders 4 other factions while been spread out a lot, but unlike say Asserai does not have a large body of water to make much of it's borders safe. It have nothing to do with slow to pass terrain or inferior troops or not, which AI autocalc battles doesn't take in to account anyway. But as of latest patches I did not see Sturgia struggling anymore, not sure what devs did. May be it have something to do with changes against early steamrolling like infamous "escaping nobles".

The Mongols used mixed cavalry too. Heavy cavalry, horse archers and somewhere between.

Khuzaits are not Mongols, no. Some sort of weird Turkic imitation.

Mongol armies which invaded Russia were made mostly of Turkic people that Mongols have subjugated before. Not that there was any difference between their equipment and tactics. All nomadic people on the great Euro-Asian steppe back then were almost copy-paste of each other because they constantly engaged each other bot in violent and peaceful manner.

Last edited:
And I love how you fanbois like to blame the players for being bad.

There is nothing shameful in being bad playing the game. Instead of blaming devs, you should ask better players to help you improve your playing skills. Go watch some featured let's plays, many streamers play Sturgian characters.

Mongols consisted of heavy cavalry using shock and awe tactics...

LOL

Back
Top Bottom