Strategy

Users who are viewing this thread

Which was exactly what happened in reality.  This is comparatively recent period, so we (Poles) have detailed casualty lists after *many* important battles.  Guns were cheap and deadly, if they hit you, but generally it didn't happen often.

I remember one account I read about in a memoir when a group of light cavalrymen got a bit lost on the battlefield and took a salvo of a whole Russian filed artillery and marksmen.  Author commented, that as usual nobody died, and just some horses were lost. 

Siege warfare was a different story, though.  There guns ruled.  In WF&S they still don't, though.

alabaman said:
I was surprised when I saw people talking about having 80% musketeer armies...This game may have guns, but it's still mount & blade! I may be hated for this, but "Everyone, charge!" still proves to be an effective tactic.

I have an army that has mainly cavalry units, and a fair amount of musketeers, mainly because it's fun watching them shoot. The best tactic so far I've noticed is having either swedish reiters/winged hussars/ charge at the enemy at full speed. Fully geared/gemmed/enchanted European Cavalry are also great troops. Too bad about their cost though. The enemy's bullets hurt, but they barely kill more than two or three of my men charging.
The only time "Everyone, Charge!" works is with an army full of Swadian Knights. And that, is why I hate vanilla Warband.

bakters said:
Which was exactly what happened in reality.  This is comparatively recent period, so we (Poles) have detailed casualty lists after *many* important battles.  Guns were cheap and deadly, if they hit you, but generally it didn't happen often.

I remember one account I read about in a memoir when a group of light cavalrymen got a bit lost on the battlefield and took a salvo of a whole Russian filed artillery and marksmen.  Author commented, that as usual nobody died, and just some horses were lost. 

Siege warfare was a different story, though.  There guns ruled.  In WF&S they still don't, though.
But in reality weren't hussars light cavalry whereas cuirassiers were heavy cavalry? And yes, Swedish Reiters help a lot, but I end up losing a ton of them in every battle. Usually for me, Lifeguards are the only effective tactic, yet I can never get enough of them. I think that the Polish are somewhat overpowered. An army full of Veteran Winged Hussars can beat any other army in the game. :???:

CognitoErgoSum said:
But in reality weren't hussars light cavalry whereas cuirassiers were heavy cavalry?
  The term hussar covers a lot of ground, so simple yes or no won't do.  Bearing that in mind, Winged Hussars in the middle of 17'th century were relatively heavy cavalry. 
And yes, Swedish Reiters help a lot, but I end up losing a ton of them in every battle. Usually for me, Lifeguards are the only effective tactic, yet I can never get enough of them. I think that the Polish are somewhat overpowered. An army full of Veteran Winged Hussars can beat any other army in the game. :???:
  It's not that the Poles are overpowerd, rather this game is trying to be difficult, so your enemies have a lot of high level troops, and you have to be able to make do with a rag-tag army.  If you play a Pole, you just can't get an army of Winged Hussars, then Swedes seem vastly overpowered with their great armors and effective marksmen.

BTW - In real world Winged Hussars were much more powerful than in this game.  I mean it. 

Malefactor said:
100% cavalry is an excellent choice, though pikemen do not hold the charge. You may tighten the formation, brace the polearms etc., but cavalry will trample the formation anyway. 100% cavalry army also improves army mobility.

Bow istn't that good in my opinion. You can buy double-barreled pistol and your rof will be close to that of bow, let alone the damage. BUT WFaS isn't about heroes, it's about armies, so your weapon choise isn't critical.

Possibly. If outnumbered cavalry just last longer, but still die. Now the better cavalry units are excellent for defensive and city assault purposes. If outnumbered, order cavalry to dismount and all the units to gather closely, ideally in the wagon fortification, but otherwise just gathered closely together, and victory, or at least survival is possibly.

The surgery skill to ensure troops are wounded and not killed is a godsend. A battle can go badly wrong, but this skill allows a player to recover cheaply. The only cost is time.

I do this first at the beginning of the battle I call my cavilry and lead the from the attack I lead them far from the sight of the enemy and lead them to the back of the enemy and then wait for my foot men and muskets to get close then lead my cavilry and flank them and in the proses don't lose an single man.
This works great in an battle ground with allot of hills this way they don't see you trying to flank them 

I found a simpler tactic, I get  half my mercs with rifles half with bows and set up a double line.

Muskets in the front to fire at will bows behind to fire when the enemy closes, anything that survives the bullet wall is shredded by massed arrow volleys in short order, find a hill and it's even simple, I've won battles outnumbered 7-8 to 1 this way with ease.

I find it effective to line your marksmen up on high ground, have your infantry charge head on, and then make your cavalry follow you to their flank and charge. It works pretty well for me, but I do usually have very good equipment on my troops because I use cheats :lol: So it's probably best if you have pretty well armored troops before you try that.

When I'm outnumbered, for instance, 15 against 180, what I do is I wait until all of my enemies arrive at my end(End where troops cannot further move or advance -- Retreat line), and once they try to advance forward but is blocked, facing their back, I slash them. Usually, I'm the only soldier left, but I win 80% of the time.

I'm wondering, I just started a new F&S game, and about 1hr IRL in, 50 winged hussars immediately deserted from the grand duchies army. they are hunting me down. Repeatedly. Any advice?

krakpot said:
I'm wondering, I just started a new F&S game, and about 1hr IRL in, 50 winged hussars immediately deserted from the grand duchies army. they are hunting me down. Repeatedly. Any advice?

Run into a friendly city and wait for a while.

The deserters are 50 winged hussars. City garrison, meh, they just kill it then me. If its never happened to you, maybe you've never had 50 top tier units hunting you while you're at level 3 on a game which (supposedly) has good level scaling.

They're deserters, not sea raiders, so pay them off.

Import/export or cheat if you haven't made enough money yet. Skipping part of the dull early-game grind of WFaS is hardly a shame, IMHO.

Or just start over, it's a fluke, and unlikely to happen again, and you're not exactly going to lose a lot of progress.

Btw, WFaS has no real level scaling or equivalent - you can very, very easily get in way over your head via the storylines with no warning whatsoever, and apart from looters which can be kited indefinitely from horseback due to a complete lack of ranged weapons, every other spawn is easily capable of murdering low-lvl players.

And thanks to firearms, even fairly low-level enemies will remain dangerous throughout the game and can't ever safely be solo'd, bandit ambushes in cities and villages in particular can dispose of high-lvl chars with good gear with frustrating ease and regularity.

I "soloed" 85 of Winged Hussar deserters (I think, I reported it in this thread, so check it out).  My approach was to load my baggage full of arrows and simply shoot all of them down.  It takes time, but it's doable. 

At level three, though...  Well, nobody ever said WFaS was a perfect game.  I recommend you use TweakMB or some mods to make it playable with less unnecessary frustration.  What you experience now is just a tip of an iceberg.  This game suck as much as it shines.

Edit: I checked it.  I managed to win against 82 Winged Hussars with an army of 16.  All of my troops went down in an initial charge, so I had to deal with practically all of the enemies by myself.  It took a long time, a lot of arrows and I had to change my horse several times, but I used no cheats.  I was much higher level, though.

A basic tactic I use for countering mass calvary charges is to dismount all the horses for your troops in front as a wall and charge with infantry and Dismounted troops when their horses buckle and lose momentum. The polish dragoons are excellent at this, with their shield, carbine and saber.

Musketeers in my army tend to miss calvary, even in large 50 men volleys. I'm guessing it's for the whole "Rock, Paper, Scissors" aspect of Mount and Blade that says "Calvary must always counter Ranged". Bows in equal amounts do better at this when firing at calvary though they are outranged and still miss alot.

Back
Top Bottom