Strategy

Users who are viewing this thread

the best troops are in the Mercenary camps but you need alot of money to Equip them withe good rifles and armor so in the start go to Tavern and Recruit mercenary....

If you in a low level you should fight against looters because they don't use firearms. You need a good horse and a lot of bullets.
And you can fight like guerrillas. Shoot and ride away. While you ride away you can reload your firearm.

If you fight against wagon fort the best tactic is:
Attack on horseback.
Get close to the enemy's for and use grenades.

hunns said:
If you in a low level you should fight against looters because they don't use firearms. You need a good horse and a lot of bullets.
And you can fight like guerrillas. Shoot and ride away. While you ride away you can reload your firearm.

If you fight against wagon fort the best tactic is:
Attack on horseback.
Get close to the enemy's for and use grenades.
if you in low level you need to ricruit mercenary fron tavern's and robe carvan's later ricruit  from mercenary camp

I think at first you must collect a lot of money. If you killing looters you can earn 2000 thaler/ day.

hunns said:
I think at first you must collect a lot of money. If you killing looters you can earn 2000 thaler/ day.
no...carvarn beeeter and if you won to be lord so loot viilges

A devious thought just crept into my head.

How effective are grenades when defending against a siege?

I think that in a ladder siege you could chuck a grenade down at the mass of troops surrounding the base of the ladder and turn them into a mass of corpses.

If this works then, if you're talented, it might be possible to shot put a grenade onto the enemy walls when you're the one doing the sieging.

Make it easy

80-100% musket army is devastating. I even think that either musket accuracy or musketeer firearms skill should be lowered.
An easy way to defeat any army up to x2 of yours is to raid villages (or trade-trade-trade) and hire armored musketeer mercenaries.
Mercenary equipment:
1. Early game: best musket available, infantry pike
2. Mid: some decent ammo, gloves. Headgear doesn't matter, but I purchase some helmets.
3. Late: best armor, best gauntlets

I prefer mix of Polish and Swedish mercs (polish for durability (hussar armor, 60+ hp, but flintlocks) and european for firepower (decent armor, miquilet rifles)).
High Trainer skill (Buskador?) + Surgery  (Sarabun?) + Leadership is all you need.
You can have some NPC cavalry + some heavy cavs like reuters just for fun.

Typical orders:

Field battle (they slowly advance):
F1-F1 (hold) - F2-F2 (2 rows) - F2-F6 (spread)

Field battle (they try cavalry blitz)
F1-F1 (hold) - F2-F2 (2 rows) -F2-F7 (into formation - if enemy cavalry seems to charge right now). If enemy charge can cause heavy losses, i ride forward and try to disrupt the charge with grenades.

Field battle (they hold position)

Then I slowly advance with F1-F6, and try to snipe enemy lord. They charge...win.

Siege (i attack):
Just charge. I lead the assault with a full backpack of grenades ))

Siege (i defend)
Fall back to the fortress yard, form the line, hold. You can massacre more than 600 men with your 80-100 musketeers + some cannon fodder from garrison. Maybe you can hold off an attack of about 1000 enemies; the thing is your troops have unlimited ammo, so you can kill...and kill...and kill.... WFaS sieges aren't that fascinating, they are stupid instead, so try to make it fast.

Money?

- Take debt and/or taxes quests but not return the money  :oops:
- Hidden cache quest, choose the option to return the money...but...you know  :roll:
- Buy gunpowder in towns, sell in fortresses
- Cheap goods caravan trade
- Quests
- = Raiding villages
Well, it's very easy and straightforward way to get cash. But it's too much like cheating for me. You can make some "limited" raiding (a bit of roleplay  :smile:), like if some lord is enemy of yours, so you loot his villages and hunt down his troops.

The historical way:

Spreading death with full-plate armored riflemen isn't the way of 17th century warfare.

Instead, you can have 2:2:1 army of poor musketeers, pikemen and reuters, try different formations, polearm bracing, reuter skirmishing, tercio formations etc. PBOD mod - that's what you need. Do not forget to turn AI formation on, feel the difference  :cool:

Malefactor said:
Make it easy

80-100% musket army is devastating. I even think that either musket accuracy or musketeer firearms skill should be lowered.
An easy way to defeat any army up to x2 of yours is to raid villages (or trade-trade-trade) and hire armored musketeer mercenaries.
Mercenary equipment:
1. Early game: best musket available, infantry pike
2. Mid: some decent ammo, gloves. Headgear doesn't matter, but I purchase some helmets.
3. Late: best armor, best gauntlets

I prefer mix of Polish and Swedish mercs (polish for durability (hussar armor, 60+ hp, but flintlocks) and european for firepower (decent armor, miquilet rifles)).
High Trainer skill (Buskador?) + Surgery  (Sarabun?) + Leadership is all you need.
You can have some NPC cavalry + some heavy cavs like reuters just for fun.

Typical orders:

Field battle (they slowly advance):

Field battle (they try cavalry blitz)
F1-F1 (hold) - F2-F2 (2 rows) -F2-F7 (into formation - if enemy cavalry seems to charge right now). If enemy charge can cause heavy losses, i ride forward and try to disrupt the charge with grenades.

Field battle (they hold position)

Then I slowly advance with F1-F6, and try to snipe enemy lord. They charge...win.

Siege (i attack):
Just charge. I lead the assault with a full backpack of grenades ))

Siege (i defend)
Fall back to the fortress yard, form the line, hold. You can massacre more than 600 men with your 80-100 musketeers + some cannon fodder from garrison. Maybe you can hold off an attack of about 1000 enemies; the thing is your troops have unlimited ammo, so you can kill...and kill...and kill.... WFaS sieges aren't that fascinating, they are stupid instead, so try to make it fast.

Money?

- Take debt and/or taxes quests but not return the money  :oops:
- Hidden cache quest, choose the option to return the money...but...you know  :roll:
- Buy gunpowder in towns, sell in fortresses
- Cheap goods caravan trade
- Quests
- = Raiding villages
Well, it's very easy and straightforward way to get cash. But it's too much like cheating for me. You can make some "limited" raiding (a bit of roleplay  :smile:), like if some lord is enemy of yours, so you loot his villages and hunt down his troops.

The historical way:

Spreading death with full-plate armored riflemen isn't the way of 17th century warfare.

Instead, you can have 2:2:1 army of poor musketeers, pikemen and reuters, try different formations, polearm bracing, reuter skirmishing, tercio formations etc. PBOD mod - that's what you need. Do not forget to turn AI formation on, feel the difference  :cool:
80%-100% musket army is not good...if you in hige ground you have chance if there is some infentry to defeand but if you dont arrive to hige ground in time or if the hige ground biaind the enemy..so enemy cav cant kiil your army you need 40% musket they hold togther with infentry you and your cav go to the side the enemy come to your forces until they arrive the musket kiil some and when the start fight the inventry you and your can charge! and try use Mercenary from the mercenary camp they the best

maor772 said:
80%-100% musket army is not good...if you in hige ground you have chance if there is some infentry to defeand but if you dont arrive to hige ground in time or if the hige ground biaind the enemy..so enemy cav cant kiil your army you need 40% musket they hold togther with infentry you and your cav go to the side the enemy come to your forces until they arrive the musket kiil some and when the start fight the inventry you and your can charge! and try use Mercenary from the mercenary camp they the best

Well, if your merc "musketeers" have heavy armor and pikes, why does one need any infantry?  :cool:

Malefactor said:
maor772 said:

Well, if your merc "musketeers" have heavy armor and pikes, why does one need any infantry?  :cool:
i thick you dontu understand....when you go to the merc camp you can ricruit cav,musket,infentry and you can buy  them armor's and guns,sword that you wont...

I tend to use 100% cavalry armies. 

Some people say that it's not historically accurate, but it is.  Off the top of my head I can give three examples where Poles fielded 100% cavalry, or even 100% Winged Hussar armies.  It happened for the same reason why people tend to gravitate towards this kind of armies in the game, that is you moved faster and could win against worse odds (and if you got surrounded and had to fortify, you could eat the horses and their fodder before starving).

Anyways, I want to recommend a Csatadi's (sp?) mod.  It offers several improvements, but one which is pure genius.  The hussar lance is a one-shot weapon, which once used changes into a saber.  Finally Winged Hussars work as in reality and they don't die all the time too. 

General strategy:

I tried firearms and decided that they suck.  I couldn't hit anything while moving and got insta-killed every time I stopped to aim.  Now I play a horse-archer and it works much better.  At STR -18 I have a bow which one-shots most marksmen and two-three shots most armored units.  I've won several battles either singlehandedly or I finished the round against 30-50 enemies alone (three extra packs of arrows in my baggage).  I would have _never_ be able to do it with a firearm. Never.

And bows are much better for skirmishing too.

100% cavalry is an excellent choice, though pikemen do not hold the charge. You may tighten the formation, brace the polearms etc., but cavalry will trample the formation anyway. 100% cavalry army also improves army mobility.

Bow istn't that good in my opinion. You can buy double-barreled pistol and your rof will be close to that of bow, let alone the damage. BUT WFaS isn't about heroes, it's about armies, so your weapon choise isn't critical.

What's the accuracy of a double barelled dutch pistol?  Strong Tatar Bow has accuracy 95, which means I can actually hit stuff.  Besides I have two packs of 31 arrows with me, and four extra in my baggage.  There are battles when I go through almost all of them.

From all I've seen up to now, bows seem better, especially if you skirmish a lot and manage the aggro of AI this way.  Plus, how long would it take until you got your firearms skill into 400?  I did that for archery by day 100-ish in game, with most of my points going elsewhere.

Honestly, it seems to me that people go for firearms because that's the reason they play wFaS, not because firearms are actually better.

Anyway, I agree that the weapon you choose is not critical, but it definitely helps.  Renown comes dear in this game, and all those battles you win against odds are a nice help.  I play on full damage, and I've won many times despite being a lone survivor of the round against 40 or 50 enemies.

Does anyone know how to effectively destroy the Polish? I am part of the Swedish rebels and I generally use lifeguards and musketeers for my long ranged fighters and dragoons and reiters for short range. On the field, I generally win battles because Zolniers and Polish Pikemen suck. Yet during sieges, I lose many men to the Hussars. I only have 3 or 4 Hussars. Help?

bakters said:
What's the accuracy of a double barelled dutch pistol?  Strong Tatar Bow has accuracy 95, which means I can actually hit stuff.  Besides I have two packs of 31 arrows with me, and four extra in my baggage.  There are battles when I go through almost all of them.
I wouldn't get a custom pistol. Waste of money. Save up for a custom musket.

In sieges most of my hits are headshots, which one-shots all but Swedish Veteran Reiters (modded).  I'm faster, more accurate and more deadly all at the same time.  And in field battles there is no comparison at all.  As I wrote elsewhere, I've won against 82 Winged Hussar deserters with an army of 16 (full damage).  25 routed, my troops got maybe 5 (which I doubt, but whatever), so I killed 52 Winged Hussars with my Strong Tatar Bow and 6 packs of arrows.

I just can't see how it could be done with a firearm, unless they are modded to be more accurate.  And even then I could just spec myself a bit higher and use a better bow...

CognitoErgoSum said:
Does anyone know how to effectively destroy the Polish? I am part of the Swedish rebels and I generally use lifeguards and musketeers for my long ranged fighters and dragoons and reiters for short range. On the field, I generally win battles because Zolniers and Polish Pikemen suck. Yet during sieges, I lose many men to the Hussars. I only have 3 or 4 Hussars. Help?
  Use Cstadi historical mod and go for Reiters.  Swedish Veteran Reiters are crazy strong there, and even regular reiters are great.  You can also get Mercenary Hungarian Hussars, which once upgraded are pretty close to Winged Hussars too, and they are relatively plentiful in Taverns.

Other than that, Merc infantry equipped with shields and decent armor.

I was surprised when I saw people talking about having 80% musketeer armies...This game may have guns, but it's still mount & blade! I may be hated for this, but "Everyone, charge!" still proves to be an effective tactic.

I have an army that has mainly cavalry units, and a fair amount of musketeers, mainly because it's fun watching them shoot. The best tactic so far I've noticed is having either swedish reiters/winged hussars/ charge at the enemy at full speed. Fully geared/gemmed/enchanted European Cavalry are also great troops. Too bad about their cost though. The enemy's bullets hurt, but they barely kill more than two or three of my men charging.

Back
Top Bottom