Strategy

Users who are viewing this thread

This is a (defensive) strategy that I use and it works extremely well even in 100+ armies. I will lose about 5 dead and maybe another 5-10 wounded (very good odds considering 100vs100 or 200vs200).

My army is compromised of 3/4 high end ranged units. Janissaries/Zaphorian Infantry/Lifeguards (expensive, but they have miquet rifles and use heavy bullets, and their proficiency ratings are 150+). My companions are also included in this category (you can change their grouping to marksmen and they will automatically be grouped with all other marksmen (easier to control)).
The other 1/4 of the army is compromised of cavalry units with pistols (Reiters/Dragoons/Volunteers/etc).

Setup:
Line my ranged units up in a line, 2-3 ranks deep. no need for deeper, the more guns that shoot the better. No need for volley fire. They all should have 30+ rounds and are the most accurate troops. Whittle down the enemy asap.
My cavalry will be lined up in front of the ranged units (about 15meters in front, do not put them too far in front) and set them to form spread single formation (F2 F1 - F2 F6) (this is so the ranged units behind can shoot through the center when the enemy charges).

Scenario 1: Enemy Charges Your Line (this happens when they outnumber you or believe they can beat you easily)
1) Set up your formations as fast as possible in your spawn or on the closest hill.
2) You yourself will charge the enemy line and shoot as many of the charging cavalry units as you can. This makes the enemy focus their charge on you rather than your line.
3) Once their focus is on you, start running in big circles around them (but still in front of your line). Your units will shred them up as they try to chase you in circles. I recommend you run your circles in clockwise motion so you can turn around fully and shoot behind you as they chase you. Do not wander too close to your line or else the enemy will shift their focus back onto your troops.
4) Once they rout, clean up with your cavalry units
note: try not to run in straight patterns, their gunners will pick you off easily. If you keep turning, they will not be able to hit you. also, stay out of range of the enemy lances, they hurt :sad:

Scenario 2: Enemy Forms A Line and Waits For You (or moves slowly):
1) Setup your formations as fast as you possibly can in spawn or on the closest hill
2) Once again you will charge the enemy line. Your goal is to get behind their formation. Remember to use unpredictable movements so you do not get shot by their gunners.
3) Take your time and shoot whoever you want in the back, they all face forward lol
4) Whenever you're ready or whenever they get about 200meters from your line, shoot and kill their leader (the leader is the one person standing BEHIND their line in the middle). This leader can be a faction leader or just any regular unit. But the leader will ALWAYS be in that particular location of the line. Seek him out, and kill him.
5) As soon as the leader dies, the enemy formation will ALWAYS break. Half will charge at you, the other half will charge your units.
6) Dance away in circles and send your cavalry in when they get close to your line. When an enemy formation breaks, they will attack your ENTIRE line...not just the center. This is why you must send out your cavalry to catch as many of the enemy as you can so your ranged units have more time to shoot.
7) Kill kill kill
Note: In scenario 2, you will lose more men due to the last enemy charge, but it will be very worth it as your kill/death ratio should be 10 kills for every 1 death in your army, or even better.

I have used this strategy since the game has been out and it has worked splendidly. I have challenged an entire nation (at once) and came out victorious. It was a huge battle, their 1300units vs. my 130 lol.

Best of luck! If you have any more questions...feel free to ask. Cheers!

i don't know if anyone use this tactic before. artilary+cavalry. well, by artilary i mean my mounted heros with large gernades.

equipt myself and heros with 2 shields, one saber and 3 large gernades. let heros follow you, then ride from enemy right flank to left, use gernade to blow up their moral as well as . then send your lancer and melee cavalry on a charge to wipe out the enemy from field. check out where enemy reforcement arrive. get another 3 gernade from your package. blow their reforcement point with your horsemen trample everything.

the reason i use 2 shield is hero and horse dies too easy on hard mod. 2 shield in both front and back protect your men very effectivly from muskeets firing.

one of the strategies i use in plain scenarios is very simple (if enemy isn´t just cavalry)
just order  your rifleman to stand ground forming 1 row and let them fire at will
order your cavlary to follow you and flank the enemy

i like that strategy:

1. all your troops need to be from the Mercenary camp.

2. most of the army need to be calvary [ 90% of the army or more]

3. and attack!

i play white this strategy and is work good.

I have kept much of my strategy from Warband; I compose my troops entirely of cavalry (which gives the huge advantage of moving faster in the world map) and lead them in a head on charge. I have however, made some minor modifications to tactics in order to not be obliterated;

-I send my winged hussars in first (they have the fastest horses anyway) and they can sustain a few shots, so my enemy wastes their first volley and they usually don't have time for a second as my heavy cav. make m mincemeat out of them.
-I also use dragoons and reiters (as well as myself) to give ranged support; we ride away from the battle them give the enemy a volley or two from the flank before charging in.

In the beginning I used a New Model Army style warband, mostly made up of mercenary musketeers augmented by mercenary pikemen and halberiders, but this proved to be ineffective as we were slow on the world map and suffered heavy casualties (which were difficult to replace as they were pretty rare troops).

As for myself, I would qualify as a light cavalryman; I'm armed with a pistol or two and a saber and dressed in light Cossack armor, which means I die easily. To avoid this I always keep moving with my horse (makes for a harder target) and stay away from the main battle. I tend to pick out special enemy units (Lords, winged hussars, reiters etc.) and follow and kill them, leaving my men to deal with the larger numbers of weaker troops.

HunnicWarrior said:
I have kept much of my strategy from Warband; I compose my troops entirely of cavalry (which gives the huge advantage of moving faster in the world map) and lead them in a head on charge. I have however, made some minor modifications to tactics in order to not be obliterated;

-I send my winged hussars in first (they have the fastest horses anyway) and they can sustain a few shots, so my enemy wastes their first volley and they usually don't have time for a second as my heavy cav. make m mincemeat out of them.
-I also use dragoons and reiters (as well as myself) to give ranged support; we ride away from the battle them give the enemy a volley or two from the flank before charging in.

In the beginning I used a New Model Army style warband, mostly made up of mercenary musketeers augmented by mercenary pikemen and halberiders, but this proved to be ineffective as we were slow on the world map and suffered heavy casualties (which were difficult to replace as they were pretty rare troops).

As for myself, I would qualify as a light cavalryman; I'm armed with a pistol or two and a saber and dressed in light Cossack armor, which means I die easily. To avoid this I always keep moving with my horse (makes for a harder target) and stay away from the main battle. I tend to pick out special enemy units (Lords, winged hussars, reiters etc.) and follow and kill them, leaving my men to deal with the larger numbers of weaker troops.
you mean that you play withe cavelry as Main attak.

50% Musketeers 20% Pikes 30% Cav
1.Musketeer hold fire and hold position on any kind of high ground
2. Pikes behind muskets
3. Cav follow me and smash in to muskets
4. Enemy cav charging into muskets Pikes advance and massacre cav

DragzJoker said:
50% Musketeers 20% Pikes 30% Cav
1.Musketeer hold fire and hold position on any kind of high ground
2. Pikes behind muskets
3. Cav follow me and smash in to muskets
4. Enemy cav charging into muskets Pikes advance and massacre cav
that nice you use all the units. msot of the players use only withe musketers and cav.

maor772 said:
HunnicWarrior said:

you mean that you play withe cavelry as Main attak.

What's withe cavelry? Did you mean light cavalry? Winged hussars are about as heavy as it gets.

11sparky11 said:
Yeah I think it's far more enjoyable and challenging to use realistic armies.

Meh I find that's only fun if you have a large army. Not much fun to have a hussar, two musketeers and wounded pikeman. :razz:
Apart from this, I'm pretty sure they had all-cavalry detachments back in the day for raiding, scouting etc. (Austro-Hungarian army for sure had all hussar detachments) and I just role-play a raiding and scouting party. Sure I can't take on a huge enemy force but my 30 or so elite cavalry come in handy for an ally fighting a loosing battle.

JaM1977 said:
anybody is using all cavalry Dragoon force?

I am still new-ish player (~60 hours in), but I tend to prefer majority of my force as dragoons, with some melee cavalry mixed in.  They fight well and the overland speed is a big plus. :smile:

good old apache tactic works wonders. espescially against caravans. circle around the enemy with horses+rifles. they cant shoot the mobile targets while its pretty easy to shoot the immobile. just watch out though, while your cavalry shooter soldiers are following you, the ones that are a bit slow will be left behind and will try to draw a straight line towards you instead of following the circle. either dont take many cavalry or dont go very fast

Back
Top Bottom