Strategy

Users who are viewing this thread

an all-pike army will destroy pretty much anything, except reiters or horse archers, and even then a small amount of musketry will bring them to heel

TearsInRain said:
an all-pike army will destroy pretty much anything, except reiters or horse archers, and even then a small amount of musketry will bring them to heel

Grenade.jpg

Or anyone with a load of cash and working throwing arm...  :lol:

Could anyone advise how to kill off all the guards in the Rescuing Alevtina quest? There are like 4 guards in all. Thank you

I'm primarily an horse archer, and with quite a high power draw, shooting from horseback and 'bow' proficiency, I find that bringing the cavalry of to one side, with musketeers on a hill, and some heavy swordsmen just in front to protect them (heavy armoured cannon fodder) is the best strategy (when the enemy get too close, charge in with the infantry and musketeers, then after they're worn down charge in the cavalry. But also, if the enemy are doing the slow advance, I find doing a 'Cantabrian circle' (circling around them picking off the musketeers with headshots and killing horses). If they're not doing the slow advance and are just charging in, lure the cavalry off and keep shooting the horses, then pick off the musketeers.  :mrgreen:

MorghurtheTaint said:
I'm primarily an horse archer, and with quite a high power draw, shooting from horseback and 'bow' proficiency, I find that bringing the cavalry of to one side, with musketeers on a hill, and some heavy swordsmen just in front to protect them (heavy armoured cannon fodder) is the best strategy (when the enemy get too close, charge in with the infantry and musketeers, then after they're worn down charge in the cavalry. But also, if the enemy are doing the slow advance, I find doing a 'Cantabrian circle' (circling around them picking off the musketeers with headshots and killing horses). If they're not doing the slow advance and are just charging in, lure the cavalry off and keep shooting the horses, then pick off the musketeers.  :mrgreen:

Haha same here, about same strategy

I. Expensive but very satisfying strategy (Classic Steppe Warfare):

2/3 Tatar mercenary rifleman (armed with bows, sabres and shields) - Marksmen group
1/3 Tatar mercenary cavalrymen (armed with bows and lances) - Cavalry group

Spread out my marksmen, advance and rain in arrows at the approaching enemy, when they get close, 2:2 to back away 10 paces, more if need be. Keep doing that tried-and-true feigned retreat until the enemy either breaks into a rout or chases after my Marksmen.

Then, Charge down with Cavalry to mop up the field. But really, with this strategy, most of the damage is dealt by my Marksmen and I lose very few men because the faster rate of bow fire messes up musketmen reloading it seems and my Marksmen really don't get hit back as hard, while mowing down the opposition.

II. Much cheaper, realistic strategy (Janissary Musketmen)

1/4 Janissaries ('cause they're so difficult to amass ... I only have about 30-40 at any given time) - In special Janissaries group
2/4 Seymen (bulk of my forces for this strategy) - Marksmen group
1/4 Nokhor and Azak-Beys (lancers for mopping up the field) - Cavalry group

Since I place Janissaries in their own group, I make my Marksmen (the Seymen) advance ahead in a line and start shooting at the enemy, while the Janissaries are behind. This way, the more armored Seymen are "protecting" the more difficult to amass Janissaries as body bags lol, unfortunately. So, with these two lines of musketmen, they mow down the opposition quite nicely but much more slowly than arrow fire because of musket reloading. Also, I don't use infantry to defend my musketmen, that could be a nice touch, but I prefer more firepower directed at the enemy ... my lancers are for making sure nothing really engages my musketmen in melee.

Therefore, while this strategy is effective and realistic, I find it less fun than the strategy I outlined above. There's more thrill/excitement of riding down the enemy with sabre and shield or shooting down them with arrows, not knowing when and if a stray bullet will knock me out of the fight lol. It's just with this second, more realistic strategy, the game turns from Mount & Blade to Sit & Wait...

i have two set ups which work well in most scenario, except forest.

Musketeer and musket cavalry (use carbine) or horse archer. Make sure your cavalry is armed with good armor and carbine. My companions form the melee cavalry to kill of routed troop at the end of battle or to engage enemies that get too close to my troop.

1- form musketeer in line at the front, musket cavalry at the back so they can fire overhead the musketeer whenever the enemies get in to range. This way i can maximize my fire power. Work best on flat terrain or river crossing, in hilly terrain, you can use cavalry to create flanking fire on enemies foot. just be mindful about enemies cavalry.

2- form musketeer in line at the front, horse archer at the back. But hold your fire for the cavalry archer until the enemies are close. (the rate of fire is fast so you don't want to waste your arrow for long range shooting). The rest are the same with number 1.

As the two methods above have to rely on cavalry, forest terrain is very suitable. Best to order your cavalry dismounted and form the first firing range or stay back as shock troop.

If you are in defending with wagon, i have two methods.

1- leave your musketeer inside, have your cavalry dismount near the back side entrance. Lead you dismounted cavalry to the out side neat the entrance. Hold fire and form line. Let your musketeer deal with enemies at long range, when the enemies circle around to get into the wagon fort, have you dismounted cavalry fire at will.

2- Same as the 1 above, but this time have your cavalry outside mounted. With mounted cavalry as hammer and musketeer inside the wagon fort as anvil, you know what to do. ^__^. And when the enemies are routed, your cavalry can charge and kill off the running troop.

Oh it'd be great to be able to have Pike-man circle your ranged units huh.

I didn't find Pike-man very useful.

I use 90% riflemen 5-10 Plate Calvary.

Beginning of battle move your troops to the back wall (so their horseman can't circle you.
Line up your riflemen and then as the enemy approach ride out and distract them with the cavalry following you...  Tactic is to break up their line so they stagger into your riflemen and get filled with lead. Don't get caught up in Melee just hit and run..

If your riflemen are all firing at once simply advance them 10 paces and back again.. they'll stagger out there fire.

Another thing which I found quite good and fun was to sperate your different troup types, so pikemen into only pikes, halbards into halbards (using the special unit type allocation on the party menu) dragoons into dragoons etc, for me it adds a whole new aspect to the game.

each faction has a unique stratagem, i myself still charge like a hero lance at hand towards the enemy at it work's perfectly as polish.

Way it work's is cossack's are ranged cavarly, khanate are good marksmen and so are the russian's, though the russian's seem to be the F&S equivilant to swadia in the respect they are heavier armoured and seem to be generally more powerful unit's. while as pole's are great cav (just remember to not go dead straight at them, you'll lose 2-3 men on the charge, but if you go at a slight angle you'll be fine, remember DON'T bring a sword, 3 grenade's and a lance work's perfect as when horse dies which it normally will, you'll instantly replace the lance wiv a saber from your saddle giving you a average melee weapon, this only seems work wiv certain setup's of weapon's though) while as swede's are like rhodock in ideal they are well rounded and therefore benefit from a balanced army.

My strategies for the 2 i have used in depth (poles are my fav just because they're story is about being a bad ass war hero instead of a secret agent man like russia's) is that with the pole's a full contigent of cav work's perfectly, equip wiv lance's and pistol's and you'll be fine as they need fast pace shooters and something able shoot on move while on foot. in battle's your the equivilant to twice your size but in siege it's a bit pant's so be careful wiv that as NPC's don't receive the same "saddle Saber" benefit you do. With the russians i find best just to keep a firing line in a high ground which would slow npc cavalry's advance, their by far the best ranged unit's it seems, as they are also very capable melee fighters (do take in mind my character lives off the interest of my trade making's of nearly 2mil so i'm richer than the country i serve) as with the best armour and a saber and shield an attack reaching you ain't a problem and usually if it's a battle you have even a 1 or 2 advantage you may rout them before even getting to you, while as in siege they are amazing! but it does mean doing the obviously int biased story for the muscovites  :???:
also another thing, if you follow this the wooden fort thing work's great wiv the russian's but wiv the pole's it just fail's so as the pole's stay on the offensive at all times!

I have 133 fully upgraded (I bought all the equipment upgrades) muscovite cavalry mercs. I have defeated armies of twice my number on the open field. 

I don't know why anyone buys marksmen of any kind. They are almost worthless. My cavalry with full armor and steel shields can take at least one bullet without dying. I also have a doctor with 8 of each medical skill (Academy helped), so even if I lose 10 guys in a fight, 8 are wounded.  The only thing that slows down my cavalry are pikemen, but I gave my cavalry the best guns that they CAN fire from horseback, so they just ride circles around the pikemen and shoot them. 

My cavalry cost $1500 each to hire, but I have over a million $ from trade collecting interest. So that's $200,000 per month coming in from my interest alone.  Money is not a problem.  I have a garrison of 500 in a super rich town and I am my own faction at this point. 

If someone goes to war with me I just pay them off with my hordes of money and keep trading.

Everyone on here is always talking about the weaknesses of cavalry, and they are forming long thin lines with their marksmen.... I blow through lines like that all day long with my cavalry.  I use a bow because I can fire 3x faster and when defending a castle I get nothing but headshots, so one hit kills anyway and I can carry much more arrows than bullets, and fire faster, and I can pick up arrows that get stuck in the walls of my castle. So I arrive with 89 arrows, use those, then pick up the arrows the enemy shot at me and keep going.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to recruit lords to my side.  I hate doing those stupid little quests. I should be able to buy them or promote my companions to lords. 

I guess I'll just have to leave 500 troop garrisons in each of my towns to make sure they don't fall when I'm not around.

The fights in the game are too easy,once you have well equipped units.

Preparation period:
Here's my strategy, remain neutral with everyone, fight your way around and make an army of 50-70 whatever units you prefer,then use velvet/spice caravans from top right to go bottom left.Buy a trading contract from a mayor(That costs 45.000) and repeat several times for easy profit. Use CTRL+Space to fast forward the game on the world map.

Go to a mercenary camp of your choice,preferably the one around a faction you will want to fight for,for easier access later on.
Disband all your previous army and buy as much Cavalrymen as you can,around 70 is fine.
Start buying the best equipment(Hint:It's the most expensive one for each category) for your cavalrymen from the mercenary camp leader.Continue to make caravan travels as much as required until you bought the best.Buy both a melee and a long range weapon,but make sure the long range weapon can be used on a horseback.

Congratulations, you now have the best unit in the game,an amazing horseman that can also use his gun as well as a marksman, with excellent armor.As a bonus your party will also move very fast on the world map,because all are riding a horse.Continue with the caravans,until you make around 1 million gold and deposit it to a city with a merchant guild to gain 14% interest.
Buy 4 Large bombs and expensive hand crafted equipment,a fast horse and you are good to go.

Link for caravan trading steps:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620581-mount-and-blade-with-fire-and-sword/59030243/655296865

Additional tips to the steps above:
-Stay Neutral with everyone and make sure you have an army of 50-70men, doesn't matter what they are, to scare away bandits,thieves etc.
-Hold CTRL+SPACE to accelerate the speed on the world map,so you don't have to wait ages to make one travel.(This is not a cheat)
-Only bother yourself with Velvet and Spice and don't bother sending if the profit for each item after "Assessing Prices" is below 1100,unless there is no better alternative from a nearby city.
-Make use of the "Assess prices" 2-3 times in a row to see which city is more profitable to send to.
-Most profitable cities to start a karavan FROM:  Bakhchisaray and Kafa --TO--> To Narva,Vyborg and Novgorod.
-Always carry with you 1 piece of VELVET and 1 piece of SPICE. That's all you need.If a city to start a caravan FROM, doesn't have velvet or spice, then sell it to the marketplace,go back send a caravan and go back to the marketplace immediately to take the piece back.

Combat Time:
Equip yourself with 4 large bombs or 3 large bombs and 1 melee weapon of your choice.
Ask your army to hold position at the beginning and fire at will.
If there is a hill upfront, then tell them to hold position up the hill so they can have sight of the enemies.

Charge in on your own towards the enemy, throw bombs infront of their cavalry to hold their charge and then the rest of the bombs on a crowd of units.Once done, go back to resupply from the chest that spawns near your flag.Rinse and Repeat.
Once the enemy is weakened enough or they reach close to your troops,order them to charge and they will demolish everything.

At Castle sieges, always use the ladders option; the enemy units up there get clustered together which is ideal for the bombs area of effect.Once you run out of bombs, just look on the floor to equip yourself with a shield and a sword from the dead men so you can continue fighting.

Earn Renown the way it was meant to be-strategy-thingy:
Are you tired of farming the silly quests that give you 1 and 2 renown as a reward?
Then start doing it the fun way. First you must do the preparation period i mentioned above, then you need 4 large bombs.
Find a large group of enemy units moving together on the world map and engage them.Make sure you are fully healed before the fight.
As soon as the fight starts,tell your men to hold position and fire at will if they have guns.
Position yourself on top of the chest and hold position there.
The enemy will charge towards you,start aiming high and throwing bombs like a madman,prioritise hitting the cavalry riding infront of you.
Re-equip bombs by interacting(F) with the chest beneath you.Fire away, rinse and repeat until there are only a few men left.
Do not bother yourself with the few cavalrymen that will manage to assault your men, just focus on throwing the bombs.
In case there are a lot of long range units remaining,then you will have to charge solo and throw bombs at them while you pass near them.
Repeat until the fight ends.
Congrats you have earned 200+ Renown in a matter of minutes,without cheating.
The larger the enemy army and the difference with your own army is,the more renown you gain.
As a bonus you also get vast amounts of experience,since most kills come from you,thus helping you level faster.

I'm using swedish cavalry mercenary this way and my casualties are very low even when I fight against ten times my army size.Difficulty is Normal on everything.Without bombs you can still do good but only against army sizes around three or four times bigger not more.

u don't need 80% pikeman . Since they are considered * stronger * than musket man they will spawn first in the game.

Dzvinsk castle pays epic amount for both spice and velvet, most of the time more than narva but i suggest using both so prices wont drop too low

A strategy i use is find a good hill, then put my infrantry if i have any about 5 ft in front of my muskets just in case they get charged...perhaps a little down the hill in front of musketeers, then i have my cav follow me and we await off to the side for a while. then we flank and everyone routs !! it is flawless for me have not lost once with more than 20 men

I get all my infantry to hold the position on the side of a hill, the marksmen to line up behind them, on top of the hill, the cav to follow me, charge to get them the enemy to follow, the infantry slaughters them, and many get picked off before the even get there. 

11sparky11 said:
I get all my infantry to hold the position on the side of a hill, the marksmen to line up behind them, on top of the hill, the cav to follow me, charge to get them the enemy to follow, the infantry slaughters them, and many get picked off before the even get there. 
yea thats what i was tryin to say haha infantry on the middle of the hill then marksmen on top, cav following ready to charge

gedizz said:
11sparky11 said:
yea thats what i was tryin to say haha infantry on the middle of the hill then marksmen on top, cav following ready to charge

I always position cavalry ten paces in front of my marksmen.

When the enemy's got cavalry as well they mostly charge into my lines. With marksmen in front they would drop like flies, the cavalry's got better armor. This way I only lose a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom