Resolved Strange Shield Wall Formation Slow Walk Behavior

Users who are viewing this thread

Summary: The formation AI causes units to slowly walk toward a position or enemies when the shield wall command is given under certain conditions. I first witnessed this bug in a singleplayer campaign battle in which a mix of shielded and unshielded enemy troops slowly walked toward my archer line, getting cut down in the process. I was able to recreate it in custom battle mode, but only using cavalry troops.

How to Reproduce: In the custom battle menu choose any map (open ones work well). Leave default settings in the top menu. Choose at least 150 units for your own side (it seems a minimum amount of units are needed to cause this behavior). Slide the unit makeup to either 100% melee cavalry or 100% missle cavalry (I used horse archers in the example below). Give the enemy a few infanty type units only to prevent them from charging your units. Start the battle.

While in battle, press F4 to hold fire (for missle units), press F5 to dismount from horses, press F3 + F2 to form a shield wall (units should remain stationary next to their horses at this point), and finally press F1 + F4 to have them advance toward the enemy. Your troops should begin slowly walking forward at this point. You can use the command flag to move your troops toward a far off position in lieu of using the advance command.

Other Observations: Units will begin running again if they get close to the enemy position or target location. Giving the charge command will cause them to begin running as well. It won't work if troop types are mixed together, however I have had it happen with other troop types on the map if the commands are only specifically given to the correct sub unit type (e.g. horse archers). This will also work with the square formation (seems tied to formations with shields raised) as well as without dismounting your units. A minimum of 90-100 units are required or else this behavior doesn't seem to happen.

Media:

Version: e1.0.11/e1.1.0

Edit: Second video with troops still mounted.

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, we were unable to respond to this topic when it was first created. If you are still experiencing this issue with the latest live or beta versions of the game, please leave a reply to this thread so we can forward to the team for investigation.

Hey! I'm going to mark this thread as resolved. If the problem persists, please let me know. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom