Resolved Strange e-mail received from taleworlds

Users who are viewing this thread

Just sent Janus an email and message regarding this. I also received one, that was my second.

He replied and I quote:

Janus said:
Morgoth2005 said:
Every so often (quite rarely) I receive messages from [email protected], which do not contain a subject or a body...
[email protected] is Armagan's admin e-mail account, so I don't see why he would be sending you blank messages. Note that just because it says it's from [email protected], that doesn't mean it really is. Spoofing the sender e-mail address is a very simple matter and spammers do that with e-mail addresses they have to make it look like someone else is spamming who isn't.
The best way to be sure is to check the full headers of the e-mail to see the last listing of what IP address sent the message.
Also, if a message contains a virus then some antivirus programs will simply gut it so that it's a blank message.

I've forwarded him the email I received, because it was from server2.taleworlds.com

Morgoth2005 said:
I forwarded it to you. It was sent by server2.taleworlds.com I'm confused. I agree on the fact that it wasn't armagan, but it could be a malfunction of the server.
server2.taleworlds.com is the server which the forum here is on, rather than the main site server. I haven't gotten one of these e-mails, but that looks like it might have been around the time that the server went haywire due to the power outage. So, I'd guess it's a glitch caused by that. Let me know if you get one again.

It's from the automated email system (the one that lets you know you have personal messages, provides account activation and the like) so the most likely scenario is that it had emails to send out when it went down, and it's now clearing them. You'll probably have had a new personal message or the like when you logged on today.

Mind you, I've known servers retain email which has been stuck for months, and not actually shift it till a reboot.

I got one of those yesterday too at the same time as I got a PM (a really good one too :smile: ). Looks like the server error replaced the default message or something.

So you think its fixable after all??? Would be kinda freaky if i just randomly get that seeing I keep getting freaky emails already =S

bonddude, if you have nothing useful to add then please don't post.

I've checked the SMF forums and found reference to a glitch with the SMF software based on some "fix" it has specifically for e-mails sent to hotmail and other web-based e-mail addresses.

EDIT: counterfix is now applied which will hopefully stop the blank messages from being sent. Let me know if you still get more blank messages after this point.

just recieved two blank emails from server2.taleworlds.com at around 10am GMT (which makes it 9am on your clocks), haven't had any new PMs recently,so... server going spastic i guess  :wink:

You've probably got reply notification enabled for certain topics or boards, which also has it send out e-mails.

Hmm... will look further into it when I have time since it's still occuring.

Could somebody forward one of the e-mails as an attachment instead of an inline message? Might help me. repository[at]fenrisoft.com

Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.78.37.1 with SMTP id k1cs136778huk;
        Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.115.76.1 with SMTP id d1mr6048891wal.1182160107305;
        Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:48:27 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from server2.taleworlds.com (server2.taleworlds.com [64.34.177.248])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id n38si14157647wag.2007.06.18.02.48.25;
        Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:48:27 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of [email protected] designates 64.34.177.248 as permitted sender)
Received: from www-data by server2.taleworlds.com with local (Exim 4.50)
id 1I0CuP-0001Av-Oi
for [email protected]; Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:48:25 +0000
To: [email protected]
Subject:
X-PHP-Script: forums.taleworlds.com/index.php for 87.126.169.166
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:48:25 +0000
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-Mailer: SMF
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Back
Top Bottom