STR requirements for armor/weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone miss the old method of warband with weapons and armor having a stat requirement to use them? I’m not liking the current set up of high tier weapons and armor not showing up in the game till your a high clan level and such. Warband was nice cause you can see that lordly plate armor sitting in the shop that you couldn’t use and you strived to level up your str to wear it! Now it’s just... oh I have 2million Denars but that high lvl armor hasn’t showed up yet, or it’s “I’m lvl 3 and smithed my way to high money and now I’m wearing all the top tier gear available”.

Anyone miss the old method of warband with weapons and armor having a stat requirement to use them?

I don't. It was just soft-locking you into certain builds if you wanted to have decent protection and damage.

I’m not liking the current set up of high tier weapons and armor not showing up in the game till your a high clan level and such. Warband was nice cause you can see that lordly plate armor sitting in the shop that you couldn’t use and you strived to level up your str to wear it! Now it’s just... oh I have 2million Denars but that high lvl armor hasn’t showed up yet, or it’s “I’m lvl 3 and smithed my way to high money and now I’m wearing all the top tier gear available”.

Some of the tier 6 body armor and helmets don't show up, but I assume that is an oversight or bug because clan tier 6 doesn't make them appear either. But I see tier 6 weapons appear all the time in towns, even when my clan tier is pretty damned low. The gating is town prosperity (something like 4000-5000 IIRC?) and an iron smithy for the best weapons and armor.

Yeah I find it odd how bows and horses have proficiency requirements but not swords, axes, spears, maces, shields, javelins, or arrows. And the horse ones kind of just stop after level 60. Why not go higher, say 130 then 150 riding requirements, with some some really rare, bad ass war horses?

I'd like to see a moderate proficiency grind to be able to go from basic shortsword to zweihander or from basic fish harpoon javelins to Eastern Javelin. Also a proficiency system for shields, the best arrows, ect.

I don't want to feel forced into stat and skill builds to meet requirements for equipment.The Guy with the higher stats/skills already does better then the guy with less, why would you want to further inflate that difference?

Skill and stat caps both suck.

Along with stat requirements, it might be interesting to see some armors incur skill penalties. Heavy gauntlets or full helms could lower the player's effective archery/crossbow/throwing skills, for example. It's pretty boring right now that the player is almost always aiming for the most protective armor regardless of what playstyle they are using. Encouraging players to use equipment that best fits their combat style would be more interesting and lead to better high-tier armor variety (instead of all tier 6 armor just being very heavy and protective, there could also be some that are moderately protective but incur no skill penalties or weigh very little).

Armour was made to fit. Look at the kids armours made for princes and noble sons. As for weapons, only bows and non-aided crossbows really require a huge amount of strength to pick up. Sure to get the full benefit of a sword or spear, a certain strength is required, but basic use shouldn’t be barred.

Along with stat requirements, it might be interesting to see some armors incur skill penalties. Heavy gauntlets or full helms could lower the player's effective archery/crossbow/throwing skills, for example. It's pretty boring right now that the player is almost always aiming for the most protective armor regardless of what playstyle they are using. Encouraging players to use equipment that best fits their combat style would be more interesting and lead to better high-tier armor variety (instead of all tier 6 armor just being very heavy and protective, there could also be some that are moderately protective but incur no skill penalties or weigh very little).
I like this idea, it’s just silly that the game forces you to have the heaviest and best armor rating even if you are an archer. Isn’t it wierd for an archer to wear a full plate helm and plate mittens? Other games do this so why is bannerlord being silly about this but they were ok in warband? Atleast in warband you had to decide if you wanted skill points in shield and str to be a warrior and your range option was the crossbow or if you wanted to be an archer with high agility with a bow. I don’t know why you guys want this game to be where your character is some god running around on a armored horse wearing full plate with a long bow and a heavy two handed

I may be wrong but doesn't the game already slow you down considerably when you wear heavier armor, especially horse armor? So that could be an incentive to wear lighter gear for horse archers. I put heavy catapracht armor on a sumpter horse and could barely move.

I'd like to have some endurance requirements for armor and vigor requirements for some 2H and 1H weapons. Maybe a ratio between attribute points and weapon tier? For example, a tier 6 noble bow should require 6 control points.

I may be wrong but doesn't the game already slow you down considerably when you wear heavier armor, especially horse armor? So that could be an incentive to wear lighter gear for horse archers. I put heavy catapracht armor on a sumpter horse and could barely move.

Heavy armor slows you down on foot, yes. But a sumpter horse can barely move even without barding.

Why?
Medieval metal armor isn't as limiting to movement as you might think. The only reason everyone didn't wear it is economical. That should not be a concern for the player, once you've become landed nobility there should be no reason for you to not be able to afford the best armor or any reason for you to use anything less than mail armor.
Metal armor is just objectively better, this is a perfect example of something that doesn't need to be balanced.

Why?
Medieval metal armor isn't as limiting to movement as you might think. The only reason everyone didn't wear it is economical. That should not be a concern for the player, once you've become landed nobility there should be no reason for you to not be able to afford the best armor or any reason for you to use anything less than mail armor.
Metal armor is just objectively better, this is a perfect example of something that doesn't need to be balanced.
I think people have taken the whole "you're actually more agile in armor than you might think!" to the polar opposite of the original misconception at this point. I remember someone on here recently suggesting to me that Usain Bolt could potentially beat his 100M record in full plate armor because it's "not as heavy and doesn't restrict your movement as much as you'd think!" Just because it doesn't turn you into a turtle doesn't mean your speed and movement are equal to that of your unarmored self. Specifically talking about ranged weapons having skill penalties due to heavy armor, I don't think it's unexpected that heavy gauntlets would make your hands less dexterous or a full helmet would restrict your vision to some degree. Ultimately, restrictions and penalties would be in place as a form of balancing. At the moment, there is no way to build your character to wear armor "better", so every playstyle has equal access to the same degree of protectiveness. Obviously, this is a much greater benefit to playstyles that can fight away from danger, such as archers and horse archers, meaning melee playstyles don't have an inherent advantage in dealing with the higher amount of damage they are more likely to face due to how they have to play. Restricting and encouraging ranged playstyles to use lighter armor would allow TW to balance heavy armor around the realities of playing as infantry in the heat of a battle.

This is why stamina is required. Heavy armor is so much better then every other option if their is no stamina. 30 minute long fight and the heaviest armored troops are screwed, rather should be. They'd reach exhaustion sooner. That includes the horses.

Instead of that heavy armor is just better always.

I think people have taken the whole "you're actually more agile in armor than you might think!" to the polar opposite of the original misconception at this point. I remember someone on here recently suggesting to me that Usain Bolt could potentially beat his 100M record in full plate armor because it's "not as heavy and doesn't restrict your movement as much as you'd think!" Just because it doesn't turn you into a turtle doesn't mean your speed and movement are equal to that of your unarmored self. Specifically talking about ranged weapons having skill penalties due to heavy armor, I don't think it's unexpected that heavy gauntlets would make your hands less dexterous or a full helmet would restrict your vision to some degree. Ultimately, restrictions and penalties would be in place as a form of balancing. At the moment, there is no way to build your character to wear armor "better", so every playstyle has equal access to the same degree of protectiveness. Obviously, this is a much greater benefit to playstyles that can fight away from danger, such as archers and horse archers, meaning melee playstyles don't have an inherent advantage in dealing with the higher amount of damage they are more likely to face due to how they have to play. Restricting and encouraging ranged playstyles to use lighter armor would allow TW to balance heavy armor around the realities of playing as infantry in the heat of a battle.

You might have a point there with ranged, I mostly focus on melee combat but I can see how certain armor could be limiting an archer's ability. Perhaps it could be doable with an accuracy penalty based on how heavy the helmet is and a reload speed penalty for using metal hand armor and additionally for overall armor armor weight.

Indeed I miss that mechanic.

Not it feels like cheating to me and in no time i am fully stacked, it seems like it has been made for a different audience then your typical Warband player....

This is why stamina is required. Heavy armor is so much better then every other option if their is no stamina. 30 minute long fight and the heaviest armored troops are screwed, rather should be. They'd reach exhaustion sooner. That includes the horses.

Instead of that heavy armor is just better always.

Stamina was always controversial in its application when it came to Warband mods and I can see why they left it out entirely when it came the vanilla experience of Bannerlord.

Back
Top Bottom