Storyteller Ability - bugged? Needs confirmation

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey all, I was testing out some of the abilities that I haven't used before, and decided to go for Storyteller.

Effect:
The renown you gain from combat is increased by 2 per rank of Persuasion. This effect may not exceed a total of +15 renown per battle.

I invested 5 points into persuasion, and was expecting to be earning at least 10 renown per battle due to the description of the effect, however I seem to be earning less (Possibly the default amount?).

• Is this renown boost added silently and not shown at the beginning of the battle?
  • Am I just simply ignorant to other factors which may affect how much renown I earn per battle?
  • .. or is the ability simply bugged? for the two reasons above, I decided to post it here instead of assembla.

Regards,
Triple.

TripleThreat said:
Hey all, I was testing out some of the abilities that I haven't used before, and decided to go for Storyteller.

Effect:
The renown you gain from combat is increased by 2 per rank of Persuasion. This effect may not exceed a total of +15 renown per battle.

I invested 5 points into persuasion, and was expecting to be earning at least 10 renown per battle due to the description of the effect, however I seem to be earning less (Possibly the default amount?).

• Is this renown boost added silently and not shown at the beginning of the battle?
  • Am I just simply ignorant to other factors which may affect how much renown I earn per battle?
  • .. or is the ability simply bugged? for the two reasons above, I decided to post it here instead of assembla.

Regards,
Triple.

Im not sure if its working, I tried it when I was fighting bandits in the early game didnt notice much difference. Anyway to see in log if its working or no?

It does boost the renown you would get, but you still get less if you already have a lot.

My hypothesis is that it add to the total renown the battle is worth but does not modify the loss due to high renown
So battle is initialy worth 5 renown, you get 10 bonus so its worth 15
lets say You loose 66% renown because of hight renown.
Normal battle: 1-2 renown
with silver tongued: 5 renown

I can confirm that this ability doesn't seem to work at all - I've tried the same battle with and without the ability and it makes no difference in renown gained.

zapbib said:
My hypothesis is that it add to the total renown the battle is worth but does not modify the loss due to high renown
So battle is initialy worth 5 renown, you get 10 bonus so its worth 15
lets say You loose 66% renown because of hight renown.
Normal battle: 1-2 renown
with silver tongued: 5 renown

From what I understand, renown works in a more linear and less percentage based fashion. For each 200 renown you have, all renown gains are reduced by 1, so if a battle says it's worth 6 renown and you have 600 renown already, you will actually receive 3 renown. You can also notice this in tournaments - awards like dominating presence will eventually cease to give you any renown at all, even though they still claim you gained 3.

It's worth noting that if this ability did function as described, it would seem a bit overpowered to me - making gaining renown easier by a rather dramatic amount.

As far as I remember the flat increase wasn't working properly (and was by the way too powerful) and Windy changed it to a percentage increase.
But it was a long time ago. Maybe I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom