Story mode on side of Saxons

Users who are viewing this thread

parke6993

Recruit
Good morning all
I've tried to find an answer on here but it seems I'm in the minority of people playing through the end of SP on Alfreds side :smile:
I'm really struggling with the final battle - it seems that the Saxons are wearing melted butter mixed with a bit of cow dung for armour because they are just getting scythed down.
I've attempted the battle now 4 times, the last time I turned the difficulty options to their lowest settings (boring fight), but after having personally slaughtered several hundred 'vikings' I still couldn't turn the tide of battle, eventually succumbing to an annoyingly well aimed thrown spear. The AI saxons are just useless, with walls of text informing me of their losses at a rate of about 10/1.
So far I've used my 200or so troops as a battering ram, as support alongside the AI, as a reserve for when I personally am running low on hp and on the last run for maximum damage vs only the enemies heavier troops (which involved a heck of a lot of fast-issued commands lol, thankfully that was the attempt on 'poor' combat ai). I'm bringing 20 or so heavy cav, 60 or so skirmishers/archers and a heavy infantry/spearmen combination used together/seperately as the tactical situation evolves but no matter what I do the Saxons get slaughtered and my troops eventually worn down.... so, am I missing something? Is there some element to this particular fight that I've overlooked, or do I just need to bring another couple hundred troops (I've got probably enough income to support 400 troops if i had to)

parke6993 said:
Good morning all
I've tried to find an answer on here but it seems I'm in the minority of people playing through the end of SP on Alfreds side :smile:
I'm really struggling with the final battle - it seems that the Saxons are wearing melted butter mixed with a bit of cow dung for armour because they are just getting scythed down.
I've attempted the battle now 4 times, the last time I turned the difficulty options to their lowest settings (boring fight), but after having personally slaughtered several hundred 'vikings' I still couldn't turn the tide of battle, eventually succumbing to an annoyingly well aimed thrown spear. The AI saxons are just useless, with walls of text informing me of their losses at a rate of about 10/1.
So far I've used my 200or so troops as a battering ram, as support alongside the AI, as a reserve for when I personally am running low on hp and on the last run for maximum damage vs only the enemies heavier troops (which involved a heck of a lot of fast-issued commands lol, thankfully that was the attempt on 'poor' combat ai). I'm bringing 20 or so heavy cav, 60 or so skirmishers/archers and a heavy infantry/spearmen combination used together/seperately as the tactical situation evolves but no matter what I do the Saxons get slaughtered and my troops eventually worn down.... so, am I missing something? Is there some element to this particular fight that I've overlooked, or do I just need to bring another couple hundred troops (I've got probably enough income to support 400 troops if i had to)

I have played on the Saxon side as well as the Norse. 200 troops to me sounds small for the battle. I normally end up forming the left flank of the army, whichever side I pick. Do not know how you can do that with 120 man line (your spearmen/infantry)?

I would say raise more men, and if you cannot afford them find a way to make more money first.

My tactic has always been to butt my spearmen in a shieldwall on the left flank of my allies. I send my cavalry and skirmishers out on the flank to disrupt the enemy, and when the time looks right flank the enemy line with my elite infantry and roll them up. And, as it is a long battle with several phases, make sure you keep them formed and do not take unnecessary casualties.

Back
Top Bottom