Stop troops from auto raising the ladders

Users who are viewing this thread

I did a search and this particular issue hasn't been mentioned it seems.

Can your troops be stopped from rushing forwards and raising the ladders and in the process die from archer fire?

I prefer to keep my units all the way back whilst I man a catapult until it's out of ammo and then I retreat and attack again and continue attacking I had killed 200 defender units but then I noticed they managed to shoot and kill 7 of my units rushing forwards for the ladder and not just crap units but some rare units I took a long time recruiting fromt he prisoner pool and levelling so I had to quit and reload my save. But it keeps happening, some precious unit will rush forward and die and I had to reload the same battle 7 times now.

It is coded for closest troops, if you put archers too close to the wall they will raise the ladders. Though you can build siege towers and just order your troops not to push them, I think that is doable.

A option to make them stop would be very good, it always annoyed me too that they wouldn't just go and do what I say. I also think we need some better way to sort troops in siege, preferable on the deployment screen or even out of battle and saved like a template. It just so obnoxiously bad, like the devs really think all thier p layers just want the bots to just blob into everything? "oh wow it's so fun, it's lie the game plays itself oh boy oh boy I love not controlling anything in strategy RPG game yay!"

I've never tried because it's not my style of play, but couldn't you just order your troops to follow you then not go near the ladders?

Aren't you kind of cheesing the game a bit though, seems a bit rich to complain
Nope, player doing a thing or making a choice is always less chees then letting the AI bots just run thier routine for you.
F1-F3 and cross you fingers? That's cheez. Position troops to kill enemies 1st and run interference with you character? That's anti-cheez, much more thought and skill.
DO a siege, press f6 and put mc behind the wood things and tab out and eat lunch? That's Cheez! F7 all the troops and kill town yourself, that's anti-cheez!
Basically anything done the 'normal' way in bannerlord is more cheezy then anything the player can think up to do, because the intended means in bannerlord are non-interactive bot exchange.
Anything more the player does is harder because more player inputs and thoughts are the only standard for 'difficulty'.

If the player spends campaign time on catapults or other siege gear, they need to be able to use them as they wish without disobedient bots getting killed.

I can barely manage to hit anything with catapult, good job @Dionaea

Can your troops be stopped from rushing forwards and raising the ladders and in the process die from archer fire?
in my experience, there are 2 triggers that force your troops to do that

first trigger is deploying into combat. this is the most annoying as it happens right at the start. the good thing is you can deploy your troops very far back so they have to travel 200m to get to the wall. giving you time

second trigger happens when you approach the ladders and get close enough in distance. so u have to stay away from those ladders

now onto the solution to stop auto ai movement. yes, there's hope!!!

first. figure out the formation they are coming from. usually 1 and 3 which is infantry and cavalry. 4 troops from each formation 2 per ladder. if you ask them to shield wall. they'll put up shields and walk slower, reducing their chance to die
then. you have to open up 2 free formations out of the 8 available slots.sometimes you have free slots automatically, other times all 8 formations are occupies so you have to do f3 f5 and combine some archers.
then. you move everyone in formation 1 and 3 to the new formations.
then command your new formations to move where you want them to stand and the 4 guys that automatically walked forward will start coming to that spot, this is the only way to overwrite the ai. switch formation then move.
and remember, don't get too close to the ladders or it will trigger the other auto script

if you have fast fingers. you can do the buttons in 5 seconds and save ur men.

What's needed is maybe new siege UI elements such as selecting a group and ordering them to operate or use a piece of siege equipment from a list of availables. Ladders would be on that list >>> Select Group 1, select Ladders. Done. The siege could even start with all on default, a simple "cancel all orders" from the player would mean everybody does nothing, until you start issuing orders.

There is the cogs icon thing, when you point to a usable piece, such as gates or towers, but I find it cumbersome and difficult to do from a safe distance. The area that the cogs icon uses could be expanded to include the actual section of wall where the ladders will be placed, similar to Total War sieges, so you could at least from a safe distance and with greater ease direct your troops to use them.

Either way no doubt there's room for improvement when it comes to managing your forces during sieges. It's always felt like a first iteration to me and that they will at some point return and rework the entire thing. :meh:

Devs will find adding any innovation or QoL to the player's ability to control their troops during siege or otherwise is just too complicated and not within the scope of their vision for this game's future.

Back
Top Bottom