Stop ping ping armies: armies should need to rest/camp from time to time

Users who are viewing this thread

durbal

Sergeant
Right now when an army is faster it can bounce around, doing endless about-faces and generally do whatever it wants as long as it is 0.1 faster than an enemy. Army movement speed is a constant and entirely calculable. I am 0.1 faster, therefore he can't catch me. This makes campaign movement speed way too important and causes the 'almost there...c'mon...' kind of nonsense when chasing looters and such. It also makes having hundreds of horses mandatory and only further deepens the hole you're in when you lose a battle (bye bye horsies..time to run around collecting you all again! fun!).

In reality, this obviously wasn't the case. Armies didn't go on a full march all the time. They marched for some amount of time depending on exigency, terrain, supplies, etc. and then they set up camp and rested. We already have a similar mechanic in the game with the 'Disorganized' debuff that's applied when leaving a siege or a battle, presumably to stop people from sieging, getting up, re-sieging, etc. endlessly. The same needs to occur for field battles to not have the ping-pong armies bouncing around everywhere.

The best way I can see to implement this is simply to give armies stamina. They need to rest in order to refill their stamina. Low stamina slows armies slightly down and can drain morale. High stamina allows armies to move faster. Very simple. It could be expanded to include forced marches have an effect on movement speed during battles and other stuff, but that isn't really needed. The only thing stamina needs to do is provide an x-factor that allows army movement speed to not always be a constant, allowing slower armies to sometimes disengage and faster armies to sometimes get caught.

This would also have other beneficial gameplay aspects:
  • It would also make scouting more important than it currently is, because with a good scout you would know when it's safe to rest and when you can expect to engage an enemy (pretty much just like in real campaigns).
  • Borders would be more clearly defined. Armies would likely rest in or near friendly towns or villages for additional safety, and when planning an offensive would stay near borders in order to have larger amounts of time with high stamina so they don't get caught tired in enemy territory.
  • Would add a defensive advantage that's lacking right now. Armies move all over the campaign map doing whatever they want and can stay in enemy territory almost indefinitely. This is incredibly unrealistic. If an army crossed a bridge and the enemy occupied that bridge and gave chase, the enemy couldn't escape by going deeper into unfriendly territory, because as soon as they got tired (or ran out of supply) they were dead. Right now armies can get cut off and just run halfway around the world to escape.
  • Would help to alleviate the stealth siege armies of 1000+ men somehow marching through territory unnoticed and setting up a siege 3 castles deep. They'd need to rest at some point and could be engaged.
  • Resting in towns would become more important, focusing gameplay more on landmarks rather than bumbling around on the world map. It'd also make village battles outside of raids or raid defense more common since armies might see enemies resting in villages and decide to attack.
  • It would add some much-needed risk to trading which is currently entirely safe for small parties and extremely lucrative.
I can see the obvious complaint coming that resting is boring and nobody wants to just sit there with time on fast forward, and I get that. But when people visit towns, villages, etc. right now it'd be very simple to just rest a bit before moving on. If they're in friendly territory and feel safe then they can just keep marching. The idea isn't to make it interrupt gameplay with tedious management, but simply make it something that you're conscious of just as with any other strategic resource. And it still beats collecting horses, trying to chase parties into corners, doing the pause-go-pause-go dance with enemy parties, and so many other annoyances that arise from armies always moving at a constant speed.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great feature imo if they could get it to work properly. Like currently enemy armies spend like 1 second in a Town just to buy up all the food and recruits and move on, if they had to rest they would be more willing to actually defend against incoming Sieges.

Like I don't even remember if I ever had a single siege where an enemy Commander was present. Have you? At best they show up to try to scare you off but they never actually spend enough time in cities to defend them.

Cities should give the best bonus to resting and the AI designed to favor resting in them over everywhere else. Resting in Villages could either improve relations if they're the same culture or reduce relations if they're of a different culture, but to do that they would actually have to make it so Lords don't cheat. What I mean by that is currently Lords can raid villages to their heart's content without losing any relations (they still recruit from the same village they just raided a few days ago just fine)... seems like cheating to me.

You should put this in the suggestions forum.

Agreeing with this, also it would be nice if you had two choices for resting just on the world map: "camp" where you restore stamina quickly and "ambush" where you get less of a benefit to rest but also get a bonus to stealth (scaling with size of your party) so you can hide and wait for someone to come close enough that you can rush out to ambush them. You should probably also get information about enemy party/army movements from settlements/ villages with a rough idea of how large they were and when they were spotted when you visit them. They could appear on the world map too.

Agreeing with this, also it would be nice if you had two choices for resting just on the world map: "camp" where you restore stamina quickly and "ambush" where you get less of a benefit to rest but also get a bonus to stealth (scaling with size of your party) so you can hide and wait for someone to come close enough that you can rush out to ambush them. You should probably also get information about enemy party/army movements from settlements/ villages with a rough idea of how large they were and when they were spotted when you visit them. They could appear on the world map too.

I heard they scrapped the ambush mechanic as TW couldn't make it fun.

This would be a great feature. The rest feature in VC was nice, but I like the idea of rest in castles and cities being more important (say, morale can only be replenished by resting in a city or a castle). That would really increase their importance and make long trips into enemy territory difficult (as they were in real life).

M&B had sleep as an important aspect, why wasn't it added to Bannerlord ? The ability to ambush sleeping armies would be so cool.

This 100%.

I'm also hoping to see the ability to build a field camp for rest like we can in Viking Conquest. Not only for allowing for daily rest when no friendly towns or villages are nearby but to speed up healing for the player, companions and wounded troops. Keep in mind you can be attacked in your camp in VC.

Speaking of ambush, there should be an ambush mechanic on the campaign map. It's either VC or Total War where enemies and the player can hide in forests and ambushing enemies that pass nearby. Though the player has to have a special perk trained or special ability in able to be able ambush as do the NPC units.

As far as rest. There's a mod I'm using that requires rest every few days. It's light and doesn't have a huge impact on the game but adds a nice bit of realism to traveling.

Back
Top Bottom