Stop an cavalry charge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Faewulf

Knight at Arms
What is best formation for stoping an cavalry charge both from flanks and fronts? for solo playing and multiplaying.

Free for discussing!

Spreading your troops out as thinly as you possibly can get them to do.

Is not how you do it, you need to have archers in front pelting horses until the reach you then have them fall back behind heavy infantry. (that's how I do it.)

Have your infantry get in a super tight formation and stand ground (pile). They should have either shields or decent pikes. Doesnt work well with less than 20 people though.

When I say heavy infantry I mean high-tier guys, not a bunch of militiamen.
Huscarls, Sergeants, and Vaegirs are the way to go.

Ravenheild said:
When I say heavy infantry I mean high-tier guys, not a bunch of militiamen.
Huscarls, Sergeants, and Vaegirs are the way to go.

Thank you for explaining that! (i did under stand any way but thanks for it!)  Bah no sergeants and vaegirs! Huscarls are the way to go :cool:

I really find the Rhodok's and Swadian's top tier infantry troops the best ones to hold an cavalry charge...
The other ones are too lightly armored or the weapons are unnable to do any harm against cavalry...

OL 512 said:
I really find the Rhodok's and Swadian's top tier infantry troops the best ones to hold an cavalry charge...
The other ones are too lightly armored or the weapons are unnable to do any harm against cavalry...

this is the way to go.

Zabarman said:
OL 512 said:

this is the way to go.
Eh, no. Huscarls and Vaegir Guard armour often equals  or surpasses surcoats, so only the Swadian Sergeants with coats of plates (do they still use those?) are better armoured. And both Huscarls and Guards have a chance of getting heavy axes and stuff which are just peachy for slashing into hunters and the like.

I prefer Huscarls standing close togather and they get the job done beautifully, but if you want cavalry down quickly, even I have to admit that Rhodok Sergeants or high-tier Rhodoks chew cavalry up and spit out the saddles.

FrisianDude said:
Zabarman said:
OL 512 said:

this is the way to go.
Eh, no. Huscarls and Vaegir Guard armour often equals  or surpasses surcoats, so only the Swadian Sergeants with coats of plates (do they still use those?) are better armoured. And both Huscarls and Guards have a chance of getting heavy axes and stuff which are just peachy for slashing into hunters and the like.

Almost all Swadian Sergeants use coat of plates, and the Rhodoks have the Glaive as their main weapon, in which is a "meat grinder" against cavalry.
  And also the Swadian Sergeants have a chance of getting an Ashwood Awlpike, in which is also another good adition to an "anti-cavalry" unit.

The best I found was (for me at least!), was any high level foot with halberds /or pikes, first (as above) with
bowmen that fall back 20 paces as the cavlalry get near and then when they do tell the mounted usit to charge
from the right or left (as possible). Plus make sure they keep formation also being on a hill top helps to slow the
charge.

but then saying this, I tend to use mounted archers and heavy lancers for the most part, as most of my troops
are mounted.

Sam

Best tactic to stop cavalry ive found so far is to have a huge bunch of huscarls together, preferrably on a hill or somesuch. They pretty much stop the charge dead in its tracks and then hack the riders and horses included to bits.

Heimir said:
Best tactic to stop cavalry ive found so far is to have a huge bunch of huscarls together, preferrably on a hill or somesuch. They pretty much stop the charge dead in its tracks and then hack the riders and horses included to bits.

That and sometimes alot of archers on top a hill sometimes work in conjunction.

Seconded.  Cavalry have a disadvantage on hills or heavily wooded terrain.

Back
Top Bottom