Stefan Molyneux

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm just taking the p*iss. Not everything has to be a debate, and hardly anyone here is going to spend upwards of 30 minutes making a post about neoclassical economics when you're this self-serious and fedora debate-y, and keep pigeonholing people as anime marxist idiots when they use terms like "neoliberalism". I miss the old rams. : (

Actually the main reason I don't reply is because I don't have access to JSTOR anymore and I can't access the secret but damming, undeniable, quadruple-peer-reviewed "why neoliberalism is triple gay" journal : (
I thought this was a bit too harsh on you @Flin Flon and combined with this:
Yeah, I try really hard and I don't realize how I come across socially and the vibes that I leave. I forget that people have lives, or I don't pick up on jokes... It's not cool, I'm gonna think. Thanks for letting me know!
I thought you had sufficient self-awareness of how you come across but I guess I was wrong.

Also note, I didn't demand anything. I tried to point out that, when trying to convince other people of the value of X, you should put forth the best aspect of X.Which you could have combined with showing off your own expertise. But echo chamber it is!

@Jhessail My initial message was removed. If you want to see it, send me a PM (the message is abusive).

Trust me, I love all of these guys, but I’m too narcissistic to be brought down by my social shortcomings.

I hope you’re not comfortable being lectured by a 20-something-year-old on the meaning of words because I’m not interested in having that exchange. The next time you make an embarrassment of yourself own up to it instead of trying to weasel your way out of it and shift the blame on others. And then have the gal to condescendingly make demands when it’s evident that you’re out of your depth. This defensive ego stuff (love the strongwoman persona otherwise!) gets in the way of conversation and is typical of the ‘’dumb, short-sighted, and lazy average person’’ (your words, not mine).

And yeah, you’re not going to disagree on anything I’m going to explain to you. Behavioural economics is a good development in economics; increasingly employed in the EU. Thaler is an often-cited author. Effective (Rogerian) rhetoric is important. You completely missed the point of libertarian paternalism, apparently. The paradigm through which you tried to interpret the quote was inappropriate. In many ways, the US is an exceptional country (but not in the way you’re thinking).

Let me know if there's something you disagree with.

Last edited:
Teqrw.jpg

He's going strong on Bit-Chute though! You New Totalitarian Tribalists are gonna have to try a LOT harder if actually silencing the Molyneews of the world is your actual goal. Great Leap Forward!?
https://www.*****ute.com/video/zhSAQ9JlsGM/

Fact is, your revolution is losing badly. It is likely to suffer a mortal blow in November :wink:
Cannot say I'll be upset to see your NTT movement withered down to a state of benign torpor, but if it doesn't go that way and the Revolution Does turn out to be on the horizon I'll be standing up on the Palisades with the Orange men and women in blue.

I think I'm likin' *****ute. Kind've a low rent Youtube without the corporate zeal . . .
Does this site have any embed code for *****ute? I couldn't find any widget for "insert video if I recall, but when I pasted a yt hyperlink the site just auto embedded it if I recall . . .
https://www.*****ute.com/video/hULwM4c1sOXM/

ADDIT: OMG THAT IS FOOK'N HILARIOUS. The braindead slur detection thinks bit chute (without the space) is ***** ute (without the space)!

Just another example of the New Totalitarian Tribalist mindset . . .

He's going strong on Bit-Chute though! You New Totalitarian Tribalists are gonna have to try a LOT harder if actually silencing the Molyneews of the world is your actual goal. Great Leap Forward!?

Fact is, your revolution is losing badly. It is likely to suffer a mortal blow in November :wink:
Cannot say I'll be upset to see your NTT movement withered down to a state of benign torpor, but if it doesn't go that way and the Revolution Does turn out to be on the horizon I'll be standing up on the Palisades with the Orange men and women in blue.

I am probably going to regret asking but... What is this concept of "New Totalitarian Tribalists" that you keep bringing up?

New Totalitarian Tribalism is a family of post-Marxist ideological and political movements which began to arise in the 1990s after the fall of the Soviet Union, but with intellectual roots that extend deeper into at least the 20th century. New Totalitarian Tribalism is analogous to what Victor Davis Hansen calls "The New Dark Age Mind."

You may find it more entertaining to view his discussion of that concept than for me to fuddle through my inchoate thoughts on how the NTT is defined. Suffice to say, from my perspective, New Totalitarian Tribalism is what we are really dealing with whenever referencing early 21st Century manifestations of things like: the political left; "liberal" political philosophy; progressive politics. I began to develop the idea that it is necessary to create this conceptual model and distinguish manifestations of it when I realized how little contemporary American "liberalism" resembles true Liberalism, i.e., Classical Liberalism. I am a classical liberal, but I cannot identify with what gets referenced as "liberal" in 2020. The (typical) rhetoric, policies, agendas and modes of dialogue of so-called liberalism in 2020 are dogmatic, judgmental, moralistic, exclusionary, emotion-laden rather than empirical and rational, hypocritical, unethical, manipulative, duplicitous, supremacist, absolutist, anti-constitutional, malfeasant, indifferent or even malicious. The best examples of the NTT philosophy at play are how the United States Democratic Party under the leadership of Nancy Pelosi have operated since at least 2017, and indeed it seems how the Obama administration operated before that. The NTT philosophy prescribes a certain set of largely arbitrary post-colonial moral standards and advocates for trials by public opinion, adjudication by rumor-mongering, intimidation harassment and coercion. The only real 'virtue' of any of the various movements we can comfortably identify as subsidiaries of the NTT are their complete lack of principle and ethical backbone; virtuous only insofar as it makes the whole family of movements turn on one another and fight one another almost as often as those who are outside of the tribe. The NTT is bound to fail eventually, but it has already done tremendous damage and the events of this summer are signs that it stands to do a great deal more damage before the silent majority of centrists in most Western countries (or . . . well, the U.S. at least) demand that enough is enough and push back on the insanity.

Do you like to listen to Dave Rubin?
I have not listened to him much. But what little I have, I find I agree with him to a shocking extent. So . . . yes, I DO like to listen to Dave Rubin. I'm also growing fond of Joe Rogan, though Joe is a bit less clear in his thinking and subject to emotional judgements. There are also a host of other "Black" Conservative commentators who are near to what I'd consider classical liberal, even though many identify as "conservative" and in some cases are explicitly Christian, which I personally eschew for reasons of being an evolutionary biologist.
Candace Owens, Officer Tatum

Coleman Hughes

and of course, older fellows like Glenn Loury, Shelby Steel, Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, etc.

For comedic genius I'm fond of the Hodge twins

New Totalitarian Tribalism is a family of post-Marxist ideological and political movements which began to arise in the 1990s after the fall of the Soviet Union, but with intellectual roots that extend deeper into at least the 20th century. New Totalitarian Tribalism is analogous to what Victor Davis Hansen calls "The New Dark Age Mind."

You may find it more entertaining to view his discussion of that concept than for me to fuddle through my inchoate thoughts on how the NTT is defined. Suffice to say, from my perspective, New Totalitarian Tribalism is what we are really dealing with whenever referencing early 21st Century manifestations of things like: the political left; "liberal" political philosophy; progressive politics. I began to develop the idea that it is necessary to create this conceptual model and distinguish manifestations of it when I realized how little contemporary American "liberalism" resembles true Liberalism, i.e., Classical Liberalism. I am a classical liberal, but I cannot identify with what gets referenced as "liberal" in 2020. The (typical) rhetoric, policies, agendas and modes of dialogue of so-called liberalism in 2020 are dogmatic, judgmental, moralistic, exclusionary, emotion-laden rather than empirical and rational, hypocritical, unethical, manipulative, duplicitous, supremacist, absolutist, anti-constitutional, malfeasant, indifferent or even malicious. The best examples of the NTT philosophy at play are how the United States Democratic Party under the leadership of Nancy Pelosi have operated since at least 2017, and indeed it seems how the Obama administration operated before that. The NTT philosophy prescribes a certain set of largely arbitrary post-colonial moral standards and advocates for trials by public opinion, adjudication by rumor-mongering, intimidation harassment and coercion. The only real 'virtue' of any of the various movements we can comfortably identify as subsidiaries of the NTT are their complete lack of principle and ethical backbone; virtuous only insofar as it makes the whole family of movements turn on one another and fight one another almost as often as those who are outside of the tribe. The NTT is bound to fail eventually, but it has already done tremendous damage and the events of this summer are signs that it stands to do a great deal more damage before the silent majority of centrists in most Western countries (or . . . well, the U.S. at least) demand that enough is enough and push back on the insanity.

I mean... He is definitely good at argumentation but I see little science in what he is saying. And I can't say that he has the most impressive academic resume

An h-index of 5 is what you would expect from a PhD student who just graduated, not a late career academic. Just as a term of comparison, this is the scopus profile for another historian

That alone gives me the impression of an academic that really didn't do that great in his career and is trying to recycle himself. Then as I was looking him up I found another video where he talks about Covid 19 among other things

which kind of sealed it in for me. Unless you are a virologist or a scientist working in a related area you really shouldn't be posing as an authority explaining why the virus is spreading in some areas more than in others. As an historian you can certainly try to analyse say the effect that the pandemic is having on society and compare it to what has happened in the past, but when you start talking about the actual virus and how it's spreading you have no more authority than my plumber. Everything considered I find it hard to take what he says seriously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom