Stefan Molyneux

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhessail said:
Yeah, that argument lacks substantive evidence that proves that FDA is doing more harm than good - and when **** really hits the fan, the process is expedited, like with swine flu vaccines, which then resulted in several narcolepsy cases. A side-effect that would have been found out if the regular process had been followed but media hysteria and all that jazz. Point is, without FDA anyone could sell anything and claim it cures everything - which isn't a major problem when it's an individual snake-oil salesman touring the Wild West in his wagon but when a corporation that can pump advertising campaigns worth hundreds of millions of dollars annually... I hope you start to see the benefit of an tax-payer funded long-term-planning organization like the FDA

True, but I also have no evidence that the FDA's doing more good than harm.

Even if the argument's not true, from a natural rights perspective people should be allowed to harm themselves (although pregnant women probably shouldn't be allowed to cause birth defects in foetuses they're planning to give birth to). From a utilitarian perspective drugs could be tested faster and more expansively and ultimately benefit the future generations of mankind more, maybe.

What do you think of a system where the FDA would put highly visible stamps of approval on products, but people would still be free to purchase products with no stamp of approval (untested products)? Maybe there could be a stamp of disapproval too.

Personally I wouldn't have any problems with that sort of system. It just wouldn't work in the long run because people would complain about collateral damage and demand that the government takes action and soon we'd be back in where we started.

Not that stuff like that would even guarantee that the person who tries to sue the food distributor will lose anyway either. Warnings like that more often than not have more weight in the sense of persuading the person not to sue the company, than soundness in court.

People should be able to harm themselves, I do not think anyone here disagrees with that, but I think the others have been trying to point out hat people should harm themselves when they are under the guise of justifiable ignorance. I do not think that people should have to be taught the highly technical chemical biology knowledge involved in understanding what it is in the bottles themselves, nor have mechanical engineering experience taught to them in public education as math or writing.

Removing this safety feature on something this vital would only push the harm on people by turning medicine into an even more of a research topic that everybody has to take part in life, onto people who are either not good at researching, or do not have access to good education.

Failing to do academic research into which medicine is good and which is bad is not a justified reason to be inflicted with harm.

Choosing safe medicine is a strange thing to demonstrate libertarian strength anyway, being healthy and alive for the foreseeable future is not something divisive across the globe. It's probably the one thing in this world that almost all humans can agree to and where providing choice would cause a lot more harm than good simply for the sake of providing choice as a concept itself.

r5tp7m2alq341.jpg

Anthropoid said:
1. Reset senescence in all of my biological systems to age 10 levels (but, apart from healing of age-related wear-and-tear, with no other changes to anatomy, configuration or function) = 40 year old mind/body/memory/experience but with 10 year old "health and aging" levels, oh **** yes!  :mrgreen:

2. A duffel bag containing 900,000 freshly minted U.S. $100 notes on my kitchen table.

3. Reset my wife's biological systems to age 10 as well!  :mrgreen:

Every time anthropoid posts, these words pop into my head. It's one of those things I wish I legitimately had never seen, but now it's in my head, all I can do is add it to the long list of warning signs for people I should avoid like the plague and report to the police.

To be fair to Anthropoid, it seems to me he was just saying he would like he and his wife to have the youthful health of a child, while both having a "40 year old mind/body/memory/experience".

Back
Top Bottom