Stefan Molyneux

Users who are viewing this thread

That's because both are fantasies that cannot exist in real world

Many ideologies fall under the libertarian label, not all of them are anarchistic. The only thing that kept many 19th century countries from qualifying as libertarian was a lack of civil liberties. Are you prepared to argue that had there been more civil liberties in the 19th century the societies would've ceased to function?

Communism requires: the means of production to be commonly owned; there to be no money; there to be no state. This system has existed in plenty of societies, especially tribal ones.

the only modern day example is Somalia

pls no(((

Yeah, let's argue the straws. Communism is entirely valid in a very small group, where social dynamics provide a sort of checks & balances to keep individuals "in line". It's impossible in a large society, just like libertarianism, because of scarcity of resources and good old human nature.

The only thing that kept many 19th century countries from qualifying as libertarian was a lack of civil liberties
Lolwat. Tell me more as I'm very interested to see how massive mental gymnastics you have to perform to qualify "many" 19th century countries as even semi-libertarian.

It seems like a lot of people are confusing libertarians and anarchists. I'm not sure exactly what percentage of libertarians are anarchists, but it seems like a fairly small minority to me (with many more being sympathetic, but not actually anarchists of any stripe themselves).

Still, it's goofy to say that Somalia in any way represents any form of libertarian paradise. Somalia is a failed state with multiple different wannabe governments, and was nowhere close to a free society before the previous military dictatorship collapsed. Besides, Somalia appears to have improved in some ways since the government fell apart: http://www.libertychat.com/2014/09/hate-government-much-move-somalia/

OH jesus fyck Wheem, are you really so stupid that you link an article that claims that Somalia without a government is better than Somalia with a ****ING MURDEROUS TYRANT? Yes, everything is better than a ****ing totalitarian state. Breaking news, stop the press! ESPECIALLY as the time period that your author consults IS THE TIME WHEN THE CIVIL WAR ACTUALLY STARTED. Oh really, did infant mortality rates rise when the totalitarian dictatorship started to crack down on everyone? And the rate got better when the murderous tyrant was ousted? OH MA GOWD!

This is possibly the most stupid ****ing **** you've ever posted.

Rallix said:
Again though, he seems rational to me. He never presents a bad argument, but sometimes you have to wonder which facts he uses to base that argument on are true. Grains of salt.

Ultimately, that makes him rather boring to me.

It's like when he was talking about Sweden/Scandinavia, he straight up says that the economic freedom was responsible for the economic growth without going into any greater detail or providing any proof other than comparing "economic freedom" and the state of the economy.

It's like he missed the whole "correlation is not causation" part of higher education.

I mean by using a similar amount of evidence, I could hilariously suggest that because there was an increase in the amount of kebab sold in Sweden during the decades when our economy grew, kebab is the reason why our economy was strong and therefore more kebab = economic growth.

I suggest we all relentlessly ridicule and humiliate him in the comments sections of al his videos. Maybe then he'll develop some humility and common sense?

Anthropoid said:
I suggest we all relentlessly ridicule and humiliate him in the comments sections of al his videos. Maybe then he'll develop some humility and common sense?
I remember him making a video where he very specifically explained that he no longer reads the comments which "relentlessly ridicule and humiliate him."
I don't think you'll even be paid attention to if you do not directly ask him about specific errors in a personable way.

Jhessail said:
OH jesus fyck Wheem, are you really so stupid that you link an article that claims that Somalia without a government is better than Somalia with a ****ING MURDEROUS TYRANT? Yes, everything is better than a ****ing totalitarian state. Breaking news, stop the press! ESPECIALLY as the time period that your author consults IS THE TIME WHEN THE CIVIL WAR ACTUALLY STARTED. Oh really, did infant mortality rates rise when the totalitarian dictatorship started to crack down on everyone? And the rate got better when the murderous tyrant was ousted? OH MA GOWD!

This is possibly the most stupid ****ing **** you've ever posted.
So...the military dictatorship and civil war only matter when someone points out that Somalia has improved and is doing better than many other African nations in some respects, but not when using that country as an example of a "libertarian" paradise? Got it. You're still just as arbitrary and classless as usual.

Wheem said:
So...the military dictatorship and civil war only matter when someone points out that Somalia has improved and is doing better than many other African nations in some respects, but not when using that country as an example of a "libertarian" paradise? Got it. You're still just as arbitrary and classless as usual.
I'm not sure if you failed your reading comprehension attempt or if you wilfully twist what I wrote to suit personal view of me, so let me repeat myself:

Obviously some things will be better in Somalia now than they were during the ruthless totalitarian regime. This fact doesn't mean that Somalia in general is better off without a government.

A totalitarian regime can be well and strongly lead, by a noble autocrat, or driven immediately into the dirt by a bad one.

A republic may be free and full of liberty, equality, and justice, or corrupt and misrepresentative.

An anarchy can indeed be a ****hole full of bad people doing bad things because nobody can stop them, or it can be a group of people with strong morals and a wish to not rule or hurt one another, the most free.

Essentially any of these are a balance. The wrong people in the wrong position within any of them permits self-destructive behaviour.

The main difference is the level of power which any individual may possess, and their ability to maintain that power.

In a land where one rules, all are subject to his whimsy, and no lone individual may control him.
In a land where few rule, these minor rulers are subject to one another, and easier to replace. None the less, they have power beyond an ordinary citizen, and may use that for the benefit of themselves at the expense of the people.
In a land where noone rules, all people are subject one to another. No man has a say what another may do except what he will do in turn. Each man governs himself, and guides his actions based on those of others. Suffice to say that where every man has the least power, each man has the most. A good or bad anarchy is entirely measured by how peacefully they resolve their problems.

Jhessail said:
I'm not sure if you failed your reading comprehension attempt or if you wilfully twist what I wrote to suit personal view of me, so let me repeat myself:

Obviously some things will be better in Somalia now than they were during the ruthless totalitarian regime. This fact doesn't mean that Somalia in general is better off without a government.
It's your reading comprehension that has failed (or your attention span is woefully short?)

When referring to libertarians you lead off with:
Jhessail said:
I always tell them to go visit Somalia, the libertarian dream come true. They never go.
There doesn't appear to be any mention of a military dictatorship, civil war, or preexisting poverty, strife, and general backwardness. Just the insinuation that libertarianism (which, FYI again, is not the same thing as anarchy), rather than those other factors, is what lead to Somalia's current hardships. 'Course when I point out that, 1) Somalia's situation has improved in some ways since the fall of its central government, and 2) Somalia has continued to outperform many other (government-having) African nations, well by golly THEN the previous dictatorship and civil war matter.

We're really going in circles here because you seem to be incapable of admitting facts.

Libertarianism seeks a society with no government or very minimal government. Somalia has had no government or only a very minimal government ever since the civil war started. Now, a civil war is obviously not the fault of libertarianism, but Somalia really is the only country - that I know of - where even after the civil war ended, no effective central government has really been formed. Instead, you get "quiet" phases before some new(ish) group re-ignites the civil war. I've never heard any convincing argument from Libertarians how this circle could be broken. They seem to magically thinking that no external power or a domestic extremist group would actually try to take over all power.

This is also why there are two semi-independent regions in the northern parts, as the power-jockeying between clans and groups has been more active the southern and middle parts. For shame though, there exists a semblance of a central government in both, so they don't really qualify for the Libertarian dream.

As for Somalia doing better than
many other (government-having) African nations
I'm just going to call absolute bull**** on such a claim, because the only evidence for such a claim comes from Benjamin Powell's article at http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/somalia-failed-state-economic-success, whic is then partially misquoted by the soure you linked and definitely cherry-picked. The actual conclusion reads:
Somalia’s lesson should not be overstated—it is no libertarian utopia. I certainly don’t plan to move there anytime soon. But Somalia does demonstrate that a reasonable level of law and order can be provided by nonstate customary legal systems and that such systems are capable of providing some basis for economic development. This is particularly true when the alternative is not a limited government but instead a particularly brutal and repressive government such as Somalia had and is likely to have again if a government is reestablished.

It's also very easy to rise rapidly in the ranks when you compared statistics from 1990 to now, because 1990 was the worst year of the civil war that had already raged since 1988.

So, in conclusion, your single sources cherry-picks quotes from a single source that is also questionable due to how it treats statistics and even then only manages to upgrade Somalia from a total hellhole to a really nasty place. Excellent job, Wheem.

Jhessail said:
We're really going in circles here because you seem to be incapable of admitting facts.
What facts, exactly, am I "incapable" of admitting? It seems to me that you're the one having trouble admitting that Somalia's issues have nothing to do with libertarianism. Unless of course you think that prior to 1991 there were a huge number of Somalis that were "acolytes" of Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Frederic Bastiat, Lysander Spooner, F. A. Hayek, or any other number of writers that could be described as either libertarian/classical liberal or anarchist. Did Somalia do it's best to implement "that government is best which governs least" and go from a paradise to a crap hole, or did it already have a lot of existing problems that had nothing to do with minarchist or anarchist ideas?

Jhessail said:
Libertarianism seeks a society with no government or very minimal government. Somalia has had no government or only a very minimal government ever since the civil war started. Now, a civil war is obviously not the fault of libertarianism, but Somalia really is the only country - that I know of - where even after the civil war ended, no effective central government has really been formed. Instead, you get "quiet" phases before some new(ish) group re-ignites the civil war. I've never heard any convincing argument from Libertarians how this circle could be broken.
What convincing argument have you heard from non-libertarians on how the circle can be broken? The typical solution seems to be establishment of a government by outside forces, which has worked out oh-so well over the last quarter century, right? Especially since that outside intervention often seems to directly contribute to the violence flareups.

And again, do you really think that it's the fault of libertarianism that no central government has formed in Somalia? Is it really true that they've been on the verge of having a state formed, but a bunch of libertarians blocked it and caused the country to devolve back into tribal factions? Or is Jhessail not hearing a convincing argument from a particular political philosophy the only necessary criteria for blaming said philosophy for Somalia's woes?

Jhessail said:
They seem to magically thinking that no external power or a domestic extremist group would actually try to take over all power.
How much do you even really know about either libertarians or anarchists? I'm far from being "well versed" in any form of anarchism, but even my minimal reading indicates that they're very aware that lots and lots of human beings are power hungry and would seek to seize control of any stateless society. They have various arguments about how to prevent such a thing from happening, but I'm not really an anarchist (though I admit some sympathy for certain forms) and don't have any desire to try and argue their philosophy.

Jhessail said:
This is also why there are two semi-independent regions in the northern parts, as the power-jockeying between clans and groups has been more active the southern and middle parts. For shame though, there exists a semblance of a central government in both, so they don't really qualify for the Libertarian dream.
Again you seem to not understand that libertarianism and anarchism are not the same thing. There's even less justification for this confusion (or willful misrepresentation?) than there is for asserting that every single feminist is some sort of tumblr addicted "radfem," since the anarchist libertarians are by no means a super loud subset that get a huge amount of attention.

And explain exactly how the tribal conflicts are caused by libertarianism. I'm interested to hear how a political philosophy that focuses on individualism and personal liberty contributes to tribalism; "Those guys should have the same rights as us, and the 'non-aggression principle' is central to our ideology, so...lets go shoot at them and take over their territory!" Yea, sure.

Jhessail said:
As for Somalia doing better than
many other (government-having) African nations
I'm just going to call absolute bull**** on such a claim, because the only evidence for such a claim comes from Benjamin Powell's article at http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/somalia-failed-state-economic-success, whic is then partially misquoted by the soure you linked and definitely cherry-picked. The actual conclusion reads:
Somalia’s lesson should not be overstated—it is no libertarian utopia. I certainly don’t plan to move there anytime soon. But Somalia does demonstrate that a reasonable level of law and order can be provided by nonstate customary legal systems and that such systems are capable of providing some basis for economic development. This is particularly true when the alternative is not a limited government but instead a particularly brutal and repressive government such as Somalia had and is likely to have again if a government is reestablished.
Do you have any sources that contradict their results, or are you just dismissing it because you don't like their findings? And is it really hard to believe that Somalia, without a central state, is doing better than some other African nations with governments that are often corrupt, oppressive, and very heavy handed?

You don't see me telling people that want a stronger state than I do that they should move to such-and-such African country, or Saudi Arabia, or North Korea, and I certainly wouldn't believe that such a comment would be any kind of "gotcha!" argument. Nor do you see me blaming those people for supporting the ousted military dictator of Somalia, even though some of their governments did exactly that. But you keep right on with those hard hitting arguments, they're oh-so-damning.

P.S.
It's amusing that the first part that you bolded directly supports the anarchists' arguments.

It's amusing that the first part that you bolded directly supports the anarchists' arguments.
Yup, which is why I included it there, because I don't cherry-pick or quote-mine sources. Of course, you completely ignored the fact that you used a source that did exactly that and it's still just one source that claims that there has been ANY sort of positive development in Somalia.

The rest of your post seems to be nothing more than you once again willfully misunderstanding everything I wrote in order to grandstand and pat yourself on the back. I didn't blame Libertarians for the civil war, or the state of Somalia before 1991. Neither did I blamed them for the fact that no effective central government has ever been formed. But keep on arguing with your Straw-Jhess since it seems to provide you with so much enjoyment.

Meanwhile, the fact that internal and external groups are vying for power and have been doing it for fifteen years is damning evidence that both Anarchism and Libertarianism belong in the same box of fantasy ideologues that are impossible in the real world with Communism. If you want to have an actual debate or prove the merits of "minimal government", then do explain how Somalia (or any country for that matter) governed by Libertarian ideology could have kept foreign ships from fishing their coastal waters barren, or from foreign companies dumping waste on their shores, or their neighbour from occupying half of their country, or their border provinces from declaring independence while running comprehensive public health programs like vaccinations. Just for starters.

I've never come across an Internet libertarian who could actually answer such questions. It's always just "well people will cooperate and primitive form of capitalism will work out issues".

Jhessail said:
I didn't blame Libertarians for the civil war, or the state of Somalia before 1991. Neither did I blamed them for the fact that no effective central government has ever been formed. But keep on arguing with your Straw-Jhess since it seems to provide you with so much enjoyment.
So if libertarians have nothing to do with Somalia's current (or past) situation, why mention them at all? You said that it was supposed to be some kind of "libertarian paradise" but have failed to link it to libertarianism in any way whatsoever.

Jhessail said:
Meanwhile, the fact that internal and external groups are vying for power and have been doing it for fifteen years is damning evidence that both Anarchism and Libertarianism belong in the same box of fantasy ideologues that are impossible in the real world with Communism.
Since when have libertarians or anarchists claimed that no one will ever fight over power and control of a particular territory or society? Sure, some random dude that argues and/or trolls on internet forums may say something like that sometimes, but go read the "professionals" - basically everyone recognizes that there's a portion of the population that will always seek power over their fellow man, and there are various proposals on how to deal with this.

Jhessail said:
If you want to have an actual debate or prove the merits of "minimal government", then do explain how Somalia (or any country for that matter) governed by Libertarian ideology could have kept foreign ships from fishing their coastal waters barren, or from foreign companies dumping waste on their shores, or their neighbour from occupying half of their country, or their border provinces from declaring independence while running comprehensive public health programs like vaccinations. Just for starters.
Among those libertarians who are not anarchists - which seems like a fairly sizable majority - national defense is universally seen as one of the things that government should handle, and national defense for non-landlocked countries typically includes a navy of some kind. If government is tasked with upholding property rights, which is something that essentially every libertarian agrees with, why would it have the navy sitting around chilling while "hostile" entities did whatever they pleased along the coastline? Why would the army twiddle their thumbs while foreign forces invaded and occupied large swaths of land? And tell me, what part of minarchism shuns diplomacy?

Obviously, there are some practical considerations here which have nothing to do with libertarianism, like an army and/or navy simply not being strong enough to achieve the necessary goals. I'm not sure how that would be better with a central government, though, considering the shape that Somalia has been in for quite some time, and the type of government that it's likely to end up with. Look at the condition of other former colonies in Africa; how many well-run governments do you see? How many wealthy nations with good human rights track records? How is a political philosophy that values individual rights and liberty, and is based around a non-aggression principle, supposed to create something worse than the various corrupt, despotic crap holes that litter that continent?

So is your argument that libertarians in particular could build a society superior to post-collapse Somalia, or that people in general could? Because my understanding of libertarian ideology is that it is the latter. The former is simple Utopianism - the idea being that if you gather a number of like-minded people together you can build an ideal society, but only for those people.

Lolwat. Tell me more as I'm very interested to see how massive mental gymnastics you have to perform to qualify "many" 19th century countries as even semi-libertarian.

I didn't say many were libertarian or semi-libertarian, I said the only thing preventing them from being libertarian was a lack of civil liberties. Government policy is often described in two parts: social and fiscal. No country at the time was socially libertarian (as I said, a lack of civil liberties prevented them from being so), but fiscally many countries would qualify as libertarian.

So now central government is acceptable for national defence. Okay, we're getting somewhere. How is the central government going to fund that?

Look at the condition of other former colonies in Africa; how many well-run governments do you see? How many wealthy nations with good human rights track records? How is a political philosophy that values individual rights and liberty, and is based around a non-aggression principle, supposed to create something worse than the various corrupt, despotic crap holes that litter that continent?
They are not all ****holes and the fact that throughout the Cold War both sides jockeyed for power and puppets definitely didn't help, nor the fact that many 1st world corporations/countries utilize economic policies that ensure that the status quo remains.

You could look here:
http://blogs.worldbank.org/africacan/african-successes-listing-the-success-stories
for stuff. Many of which are supported or run by the governments. And Libertarianism is not only those noble ideas that you keep repeating - it's also the idea of minimal government - which I find an absolute fantasy.

And Somalia should be the destination for anyone who thinks that no government or a powerless government is a good thing, just like North-Korea should be the home for those who think that a totalitarian society is awesome.

Blodheafodban said:
but fiscally many countries would qualify as libertarian.
So you are saying that rampant capitalism = libertarian? And yeah, please list those countries.

Also, I would suggest you learn about the social politics of Bismarck's Prussia and later Germany.

Back
Top Bottom