Steam Workshop Support [BETA] - GAMECHANGER

Users who are viewing this thread

RoadWarriror said:
Does it open now?

I'll guess your mod needs to be in a different folder than all of Warband
      put the mymod.ini and whatever support materials it needs in the same folder as your mod, which is probably located at subdirectory modules
under where you have it now.

I still don't have any experience with Steam, but I wouldn't have expected it to even look at Mount&Blade Warband folder, but rather the mod's name which will be a folder inside Modules, which is under Mount&Blade Warband

I am trying to upload a mod for Viking Conquest to the Steam Workshop.

I have placed the modified text files for my mod into a folder, created the ini, and made the preview image, all according to directions. However, I get this message:

Item created. Item ID is ______
Uploading workship item..
The item update is processing configuration data
The item update is reading and processing content files
Uploading item failed!

I imagine this happens because the files I am uploading are not a complete mod, but rather files to be dropped into the Viking Conquest folder? So is there some way to fix the error and upload this to the workshop? I see there are a couple of NW dlc required mods on the workshop, but I haven't been able to figure out how they managed it.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Still hoping for some help on the post above regarding getting a Viking Conquest mod uploaded to Steam. Since my post, another VC modder has also been having trouble getting VC mods uploaded, and posted the details of the errors he was getting here at the VC sub forum: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,380763.0.html

If anything could be done to help with uploading mods for the VC DLC, it would be greatly appreciated.

Recently tried to update the perisno mod on the steam workshop but I have encountered a new error

Uploading item failed with result: 25

Anyone know what this means?

Edit - the workshop log shows that the update was successful but the launcher itself does not and it does not seem to update on the workshop
You can check the YourSteamInstallDir/Logs/workshop_log.txt, there are error messages in that file

Recently tried to update the perisno mod on the steam workshop but I have encountered a new error

Uploading item failed with result: 25

Anyone know what this means?

Edit - the workshop log shows that the update was successful but the launcher itself does not and it does not seem to update on the workshop
"Uploading item failed with result: 25" apparently means that your icon is too big. Try size "512 x 414". I hope this helps someone who has the same problem.

In PowerShell you need to prefix programs in the current folder with ./ or they won't work.

You can also type cmd to go back into plain command-prompt mode, then that command will keep working fine.

Blame Microsoft for changing the default interpreter.

Still same error
Used powershell, cmd and steam

Steam is open, I am online.

db01a8c401d38a6eff269afd70ca17bc.png

Still same error
Used powershell, cmd and steam

Steam is open, I am online.

db01a8c401d38a6eff269afd70ca17bc.png
Those are three different errors; in the right-most window the uploader program is the one actually showing the error. The program is working, but it tells you to keep the Steam service opened in the background. Funnily enough logging into SteamCMD logs you out of the normal Steam client and service until you restart it. So that's probably what's causing the issues with the TaleWorlds uploader program.

In the blue window it would show the same thing if you started the line with ./mbw_workshop_uploader.exe. You shouldn't use SteamCMD to launch other programs, see below.

--

There's an alternative way of uploading mods by bypassing the TaleWorlds uploader and directly using Valve's SteamCMD, which is what I actually use.

A bunch of us have talked about it before, see here. But you need to create a .vdf file in a different format with some configuration data and then use it on a special workshop_build_item workshop_entry.vdf command. Either from the prompt after login, or in a single multi-command line, as shown below:

Here's a sample workshop_entry.vdf that we should use the first time around, when you need to create a new Steam Workshop entry, you can try it by uploading a blank folder with just a module.ini, or something:
JSON:
"workshopitem"
{
    "appid" "48700"
    "contentfolder" "MyModFolder"
    "previewfile" "preview.jpg"
    "visibility" "1" # swy: see here for the numbers: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/api/ISteamRemoteStorage#ERemoteStoragePublishedFileVisibility
    "title" "My Warband mod" # swy: can be changed later from the Web UI
    "description" "My description, supports BBCode." # swy: can be changed later from the Web UI
    "changenote" "My changelog, supports BBCode." # swy: can be changed later from the Web UI
}

Then call SteamCMD like this with your own account information. Careful about that, as it may ask you another second-factor code the first time you use it if you have Steam Guard enabled:
Code:
steamcmd +login myLoginName myPassword +workshop_build_item workshop_entry.vdf +quit

If the upload is successful it will give you a published file ID (in our case 299974223) which you can use it to find the mod in the Web UI, but you can also see your published Workshop entries in your Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299974223

Then, every time you want to update it we need to use a slightly different workshop_entry.vdf with the bare minimum to avoid overwriting any previously set field (like nuking the title or description, or marking it private) by mistake. Here's another example, notice how this time around we provide a publishedfileid with the correct number, anyone from the team added as mod author after the fact can upload new versions:
JSON:
"workshopitem"
{
    "appid" "48700" # swy: this is M&B Warband's AppID on Steamworks, you can find it in these pages: https://steamcommunity.com/app/48700/workshop/
    "publishedfileid" "299974223" # swy: if we don't add this it will create a new entry instead of updating an existing one
    "contentfolder" "MyModFolder"
    "changenote" "My changes."
}

Then we use the same command again. If everything goes well the update should appear in the Change Notes tab.

More info here: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/workshop/implementation#SteamCmd

Last edited:
I'm suddenly getting this error message when trying to update my mod

Cloud is not enabled for this app

It appears that the newest Warband patch has broken uploading Warband mods on Steam

Last edited:
Why my mod doesn't install automatically?
I made a workshop item for Viking Conquest to add Italian translation to the game. Inside the mod folder I made the exact folders structure like there's in the game, as:
languages -> it -> *files* Modules -> Viking Conquest -> languages -> it -> *files*
but the translations don't apply to the game. What am I missing?

What's the exact problem? The mod isn't appearing in the drop-down listing of the launcher? Is it still in English? I think we need more information about what's wrong. I can't guess.

In theory if the folder structure matches it should work as normal. You can check out the Steam Workshop mod folder by going to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\48700\299974223 folder, where 299974223 is the number that appears when you browse it (like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299974223 for TLD), assuming you are subscribed to it and the game is installed the Steam client should download it on its own.

You can also copy the folder to the normal Modules folder and debug what may be wrong. Maybe you made an additional subfolder or the files didn't actually upload at all. Ensure that you are actually using the it language in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Mount&Blade Warband\language.txt.

So yeah, hope that helps. Subscribe to other mods with language folders to see what they do. Comparing is useful.

The problem is that my mod appears in the modules list after Viking Conquest (like any other complete module), but I just need my .csv files to be put inside the language folders of Warband and Viking Conquest, after a click on the "subscribe" button. I thought that using the same game folders structure, the uploading script (mbw_workshop_uploader) would do this operation, but it doesn't.
At this time a user needs to manually copy files from the workshop folder and paste them into Warband folder to make the translation appear inside the Language list ("Configure" tab of the launcher), but I wanted all this stuff to be automatized.

Back
Top Bottom