Steam won't let me roll back- what gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright fellas and fellettes, I have done my best to fix this issue but I haven't figured out a damn thing.

It has been a few years since I've tinkered around with Bannerlord and I wanted to get that OG feeling of awe and excitement by playing with one of my favorite mods of all time, Freelancer. Unfortunately, the developer of Freelancer has abandonned the project (as far as I can tell) and it hasn't had an update since 1.5.9 and 1.6.0, which are the only versions of Bannerlord it will work with.

On Steam, in most games you can browse their properties, navigate to Betas, and select the oldest version of the game imaginable. Almost every game I have has that option with the exception of Mount and Blade: Bannerlord. The furthest it will roll back to is e.1.7.0. There are a few other weirdly named versions in there that I'm unsure have the same equivalancy as older versions, but it doesn't state that and I can't find anywhere on the web where a translation or chart is available to read it.

Am I just stupid? Am I missing something? Is there a specific private Beta code that I need to input? Why is this so hard?

I'd appreciate any help. I'd love to be able to play that mod again.

As far as I know, they removed the versions older than e.1.7.0 entirely.

eX.X.X = Early Access

vX.X.X = Release

Serve As Soldier is the current Freelancer-like mod around. I remember it being pretty buggy the last time I used it, though that was a while ago so it could be different now.

There was a save mode change, and I think it was right on 1.7.0 update. Now I am not sure if that's the case, but I bet that's the most likely reason why you can't go back further than 1.7.0.

As far as I know, they removed the versions older than e.1.7.0 entirely.

eX.X.X = Early Access

vX.X.X = Release

Serve As Soldier is the current Freelancer-like mod around. I remember it being pretty buggy the last time I used it, though that was a while ago so it could be different now.
There was a save mode change, and I think it was right on 1.7.0 update. Now I am not sure if that's the case, but I bet that's the most likely reason why you can't go back further than 1.7.0.

Damnit. That's stupid. I paid for the whole game, I want the whole game :xf-mad:

You can disable the auto updates, either by going to a specific game, right clicking, manage in the bottom of the list, updates which is second tab, and changing the status from always keep updated to never, or you can go to your overall steam settings and disable it for all games.

Just another reason why Steam sucks and I try not to use it. I dont understand why updates are automated, it should be optional.
Yeah I get you. I don't have a problem with the updates. I understand how they can be problematic. I'd like to come back to a game two years later and experience everything that has been added, but I hate the fact that I can't revert to previous versions on a game I paid for. It irritates the hell out of me!

Yeah I get you. I don't have a problem with the updates. I understand how they can be problematic. I'd like to come back to a game two years later and experience everything that has been added, but I hate the fact that I can't revert to previous versions on a game I paid for. It irritates the hell out of me!
What the dude above you said doesn't matter because all the mods are broken even if you revert back to 1.7.0. Even with the "language deletion" remedy the mods are still broken and its crash to desktop.

Going to guess some of you are young so allow me to explain Steam and modding to you.

If you have a game that forces you to use Steam (Horribly lazy developer choices) and you mod your game you really do need to create another install of your fully modded game and when you go to play it, make sure you are in OFFLINE mode with Steam, launching the game from your secondary folder and not from Steam itself.

I still find that this games version 1.6.8 is the single best version due to the mods that worked for it. There is not a single thing Taleworlds has not made the overall game better than it was that the mods for that version provided and in fact made more than a few key things worse like removing the ability to assign soldiers and companions to their own formations. Bad enough they did it to companions but to also try to force me to have sword footsoldiers with spearmen is obscenely dumb for a game that is supposed to be a battle simulator. Anyway, make second/third installs of your personal favorite install versions and keep steam in offline while playing them. Yes, do this for any game you modded on Steam.

Am I just stupid? Am I missing something? Is there a specific private Beta code that I need to input? Why is this so hard?
The older versions were removed because people switching back to them from more recent game versions had to manually remove files to not crash. Generally, we try to keep older versions available as long as possible (if there are no stability concerns) - though there is an upper limit to the number of branches steam permits as well.

Back
Top Bottom